Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Sooooo, been experiencing no power steering on first start up and poor charging of the previous battery (i put it down to a rubbish battery so swapped out) wanted to change for a while anyway.  Upoon having a look and the Crankshaft Pulley and gave it a push back and forth, and plenty of play in it.  Yup time to change it - Fortunately i had a brand new one sitting there ready for the job (Its a febi one but cost me the grand sum of £0 - so not to fussed it is not a coretco one)  

So 4 x New bolts from BMW (£19.05) and know they are genuine rather than ebay wanting daft money for them, and getting my mate to order me the belts through his garage - (£20 for the 2 of them) i set about the task of swapping it all out.  was a bit worried about taking the Bolts out the pulley - but buzzed right out with my 3/8 Milwaukee impact.  A pry bar to help torque the bolts up and i a little help with the stretchy belt holding it on as i turned the crank and Boom, all fixed.

In the second picture you will notice the shiny part of the pulley, shouldn't be able to move it out (V grooves) it spun as 2 - rubber part would spin separate from the main part, have a video of it if anyone wants a giggle - https://youtu.be/TXGbtTqCEhY

IMG-20210617-111152.jpg

IMG-20210617-170625.jpg

IMG-20210617-170631.jpg

IMG-20210617-164044.jpg

11 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Probably looking at £350 ;)

I’m up for that. Let’s do it when I’ve recovered from the previous financial strain that this fucking thing has put on me. 

On 22/06/2021 at 19:08, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Funny picture that m8, 

When doing the final fill, my boy is on the start button watching the gearbox temp on inpa.

I'm under the car filling it up, it starts trickling back out the fill hole & he shouts Dad it's at 30°

So I shout back turn it off, only to be covered in about a litre of oil :oops:

Won't do that again,

note to self let it trickle till it's a drip & SCREW THE FILL PLUG BACK IN BEFORE TURNING OFF!!!! :lol:

Yes I looked a bit like that picture,  but if this helps anyone else pondering a drop & fill vs a full exchange 

Almost passed out laughing at that :lol:

2008 LCI N54 - I removed the oil filter housing assembly to replace the gaskets.   Removed the intake manifold for valve cleaning.  Installed new pulleys and tensioner along with new belt.  Had to wait for the valve cover gasket due to stock.  When that shows up, and gets installed, will be I stalling all new vacuum lines as well.  

Transmission filter and fluid will be next  because I will be adding the xHP tune to it next.  Already have it on two of the other cars.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:04 AM, MR E9 said:

2008 LCI N54 - I removed the oil filter housing assembly to replace the gaskets.   Removed the intake manifold for valve cleaning.  Installed new pulleys and tensioner along with new belt.  Had to wait for the valve cover gasket due to stock.  When that shows up, and gets installed, will be I stalling all new vacuum lines as well.  

Transmission filter and fluid will be next  because I will be adding the xHP tune to it next.  Already have it on two of the other cars.

Do the seals. 

Well today I removed the intake manifold to change the vacuum hoses, big job for me that was. 

While it was off I removed the rod that would have operated the swirls before they were blanked. Is it ok to remove the rod (I couldn't see any need for it being there) ?

Also left the vac pump pipes and leccy connection on, have I done correct? Hope so!

Cheers.

1 hour ago, AlTr said:

Well today I removed the intake manifold to change the vacuum hoses, big job for me that was. 

While it was off I removed the rod that would have operated the swirls before they were blanked. Is it ok to remove the rod (I couldn't see any need for it being there) ?

Also left the vac pump pipes and leccy connection on, have I done correct? Hope so!

Cheers.

Yep, you did good.

Music to ma ears, cheers GoNz0.

Jesus H if only I had waited, changing the glow plug module would have been a breeze with the manifold off.

Did find that plumbers putty on the socket made removal/install of the nuts a breeze on the left hand side, with

the right side I put some on my fingers and managed it in without dropping into the abyss, nice.

8 hours ago, AlTr said:

Cheers.

Just curious; 

Did you do a performance tune one the vehicle or did you just remove the the flaps for safety  . . . . . 

E60 LCI N54:  Today, I removed the the original non folding rear seat and and installed a the folding rear seat with the ski access in the middle.  Much better now . . . . 

No bud, the swirls were removed by previous owner. Performance tune not in my scope at present but I suppose changing the vac

pipes wont have done it any harm. Just one of the many jobs Ive been doing off what sometimes feels like never ending list.

Front drivers light problem and oil n filter change r next, this is longest of any car Ive had going without changing oil. Normally first job!

On 6/22/2021 at 7:08 PM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Funny picture that m8, 

When doing the final fill, my boy is on the start button watching the gearbox temp on inpa.

I'm under the car filling it up, it starts trickling back out the fill hole & he shouts Dad it's at 30°

So I shout back turn it off, only to be covered in about a litre of oil :oops:

Won't do that again,

note to self let it trickle till it's a drip & SCREW THE FILL PLUG BACK IN BEFORE TURNING OFF!!!! :lol:

Yes I looked a bit like that picture,  but if this helps anyone else pondering a drop & fill vs a full exchange 

DO THE FULL EXCHANGE!!!!

My box has never been so good, I've posted on here many times how it's the thing I hate most about the car

Not any more.

I paid just short of £450 in 2019 at 138k to have a drop & fill , genuine zf pan,filters,bridge seal,four mechatronic

tubes,connector seal & 7 litres of zf lifeguard 6.

It was better, but not great.

Well it's like a new box now, I am now officially a autobox convert :)

Hi.thats really good job. Could you please send some links if possible for the tube,connectors and o rings? Did you buy it from ebay? I am also looking to service our e61 transmission and want to do a full flush. Was thinking of buying same oil as you,because its so much cheaper and does great job.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

Hi.thats really good job. Could you please send some links if possible for the tube,connectors and o rings? Did you buy it from ebay? I am also looking to service our e61 transmission and want to do a full flush. Was thinking of buying same oil as you,because its so much cheaper and does great job.

Thanks.

I'll post up this evening after dark, super busy at the moment :roll:

13 hours ago, Yuri84 said:

Thanks.

Hi Yuri,

Thanks, yes all kit off eBay.

Also the Smith & Allan oil was cheeper on eBay than there own website :blink:

You will need a seven litre minimum high pressure pump sprayer (I already had this).

You will also need a clamping plate (the one in my pictures I fabricated) you can't use the one on your car as it's captive on your oil line's.

You could get one off a breaker or by the Jaguar one (I'll send you the part number)

Tube 5 metres (4 would do) 10mm i.d / 12mm o.d eBay item number

15 litre fermentation bucket

eBay item number. 224365042036

Two Tefen Nylon male elbow's

10mm X 3/8 

eBay item number 123571153158

(These needed to be machined down to 14mm of on the thread side) 

I can do this for you if you like, I would buy some. Machine them & post them to you for £12.

Seals,

14mm id X 1.5mm cross section

eBay item number 362725529474

All my information is correct, but I worked on info off the Jaguar forum's

(This is why I hit problems)

You also need an assistant, to monitor the gearbox temperature & turn the engine on & off.

You will also need Inpa or ISTA.

Hope this helps

Paul.

The other thing you could do Yuri or anyone else for that matter is get the connectors with the pipe's & clamping plate off a breaker.

Might not cost much,

The reason for having to machine down to elbow fittings is that the diameter of the pipes where the o-rings sit is 14mm

The 3/8" fittings are 16.66 but the 1/4" one's are 13.16 (you could wrap some electrical tape or PTFE tape around them to build them up to 14mm)

On the Jaguar the 3/8" one's fit straight in, so on early car's / gearboxes they might fit.

I am lucky I chose to do this at work so I have access to all the kit I need.

On 2/15/2015 at 4:02 PM, Shaz H said:

Researched into coilovers all yesterday and today - asked for opinions but no one responding!

Gonna place an order tomorrow, got a 100 quid off a good branded set :D

Next up will be camber and caster arms - guessing it's lower control arms?

This comes down to how much you are looking to spend Vs Ride quality.   After a week or two of driving,  the majority of coil overs will sag and the adjusting rings don't do enough to take the "bounce" out of your ride Quality.   Solutions will include things searching for different spring rates, to custom fixes like using motorcycle cover springs.  KYB a set for the BMW, You might start there.

1 hour ago, MR E9 said:

This comes down to how much you are looking to spend Vs Ride quality.   After a week or two of driving,  the majority of coil overs will sag and the adjusting rings don't do enough to take the "bounce" out of your ride Quality.   Solutions will include things searching for different spring rates, to custom fixes like using motorcycle cover springs.  KYB a set for the BMW, You might start there.

If you'd seen Shaz's ride you'd know he's not bothered about such things.

Also this post is over six years old ;)

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

These finally arrived from BMW

goXpHsq.jpg

That brake pedal is fun to fit!!

20 minutes ago, ger said:

That brake pedal is fun to fit!!

Accelerator, 2 minutes. brake 45.

If I have to do another I have it sussed now, Normfest fitting spray and a hard plastic trim tool.

9 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

You going for every BMW  optional kit & highest spec m8 :)

Eventually, I just did this to piss off a mate ^_^

So not just today but over the week I've been slowly wiring up the new aftermarket towbar kit that I fitted last weekend.

I went with this one for various reasons, our old caravan needs the twin electrics & also I needed a bolt on ball so I could fit our stabiliser.

Finally cost, this kit was under £200 delivered.

All soldered & heat shrink joints, finished off with cloth insulation tape.

My OCD likes it like that a bit like GoNz0 but nowhere as bad :P

Big thanks to GoNz0 for the wiring location advice :)

All ready for next weekend now 8-)

IMG_20210703_184807451.jpg

IMG_20210703_184751624.jpg

IMG_20210703_163731041.jpg

IMG_20210703_161928013.jpg

IMG_20210703_161811806.jpg

IMG_20210703_160226254.jpg

IMG_20210703_160219596.jpg

IMG_20210701_202454996.jpg

IMG_20210701_202442024.jpg

IMG_20210701_202450317.jpg

IMG_20210701_202446163.jpg

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

So,

Towed our 1450kg caravan over 300 miles to Cornwall yesterday.

I love this car, what hills :)

Cruise set at 65 & just glided all the way here.

Gearbox was absolutely perfect, no issues whatsoever so the full fluid exchange & xHP flash have been worthwhile 8-)

S.L.S is brilliant, I can't understand why people ditch it when it needs repairing / fixing.

Only downside is a full tank of juice at 24mpg but I expected around this as our trusty old Peugeot 406 would be at 22mog due to working so hard.

Can't get any better due all the hills on the A30 all over lovely Cornwall B)