Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

530i N53 fuel economy: With a functioning NOx sensor and capture system with Stratified Lean Burn mode (direct injection) trickery activating under low load conditions, then 40+ mpg is achievable (~15%). But it probably isn't worth investing +£400 chasing/fixing the extra fuel economy when it might take 3 or more years of motorway commuting to get that value back.

Edit: Tax remains around the £270-£290 range, Touring N53 3.0L being the more expensive.

Edited by DarkHorse

13 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

to be fair thats not too bad for the size of car and engine. 

Yeah the power sort of makes up for it so I'm  quite content 

15 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

530i N53 fuel economy: With a functioning NOx sensor and capture system with Stratified Lean Burn mode (direct injection) trickery activating under low load conditions, then 40+ mpg is achievable (~15%). But it probably isn't worth investing +£400 chasing/fixing the extra fuel economy when it might take 3 or more years of motorway commuting to get that value back.

Yeah mate if she stays well by next summer I might invest in a NOXEM for the anniversary. Got quite a bit of preventative maintenance to be done before that, as you do when picking up a new motor

51 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

What do you get on average with the 530i, mid 30's on a long run? What's the road tax been like, much of an increase the past few years or pretty stable?

If you want power, torque and good mpg you should get a 530d or 535d...best of both worlds I think...

3 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

If you want power, torque and good mpg you should get a 530d or 535d...best of both worlds I think...

i think the 525D or 530D are best for me. i don't need the performance of the 535D. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:51 PM, dj1233 said:

i think the 525D or 530D are best for me. i don't need the performance of the 535D. 

I would personally recommend a 530d over a 525 pre lci or lci as it has the stronger gearbox 

& there is very little in the economy. 

13 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

I would personally recommend a 530d over a 525 pre lci or lci as it has the stronger gearbox 

& there is very little in the economy. 

That's what i've gone for. LCI 530D - arriving today! There aren't many 525D's around either around that age. 

7 hours ago, dj1233 said:

That's what i've gone for. LCI 530D - arriving today! There aren't many 525D's around either around that age. 

Hopefully this one work's out better for you,

Pic's & spec a must when you get chance.

36 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Hopefully this one work's out better for you,

Pic's & spec a must when you get chance.

i'll get some pics this weekend, depending what the weather does. 

It's a good spec, IMO, of Black exterior with a partial cream/beige interior (only the seats, upper door cards & seatbelts), factory tinted rear windows, newer CIC iDrive, SE Business edition with the Sat Nav and widescreen, 

On 8/13/2020 at 8:45 PM, dj1233 said:

i'll get some pics this weekend, depending what the weather does. 

It's a good spec, IMO, of Black exterior with a partial cream/beige interior (only the seats, upper door cards & seatbelts), factory tinted rear windows, newer CIC iDrive, SE Business edition with the Sat Nav and widescreen, 

Like mine, Carbon black  m sport with cream leather & all the toys.

Wouldn't have black again though, pain to keep clean. 

On 14/08/2020 at 21:22, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Like mine, Carbon black  m sport with cream leather & all the toys.

Wouldn't have black again though, pain to keep clean. 

Yeah, the dark colours are not easy to keep clean all yea round. But they certainly look fantastic for the 30 minutes after you've spent all day on them! I might go down the Ceramic coating route just to help keep it shiny for longer. 

1 hour ago, dj1233 said:

Yeah, the dark colours are not easy to keep clean all yea round. But they certainly look fantastic for the 30 minutes after you've spent all day on them! I might go down the Ceramic coating route just to help keep it shiny for longer. 

Sorry to hear about your swirl flap issue on last motor, what engine was that?  I had a 520d LCI last year lovely motor but dreaded timing chain snapped on that.  Still didnt put me off just got a 535d thats needing some work currently spent around a grand getting it running good but now need a torque convertor.  Tried and oil and filter change but no joy so torque convertor it is. Anyone used Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow for rebuilding the TC?

Hope the new motor works out better for you DJ.

2 hours ago, dj1233 said:

well mine is carbon black too, although it looks blue in the sun for me! ... but whatever...its a pain to keep clean...as soon as you wipe it, you will see debris again....no more dark colours for me...next time white or silver :) 

18 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

Sorry to hear about your swirl flap issue on last motor, what engine was that?  I had a 520d LCI last year lovely motor but dreaded timing chain snapped on that.  Still didnt put me off just got a 535d thats needing some work currently spent around a grand getting it running good but now need a torque convertor.  Tried and oil and filter change but no joy so torque convertor it is. Anyone used Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow for rebuilding the TC?

Hope the new motor works out better for you DJ.

It was the M47 Engine, so also with the potential timing chain issue too! It was a great engine up until that point. I'm in a similar boat, i went for the 530D though, as i don't need anything more than that for most my daily uses. It's a solid car and been looked after well, so i'll continue that and run it for the next few years. 

5 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

well mine is carbon black too, although it looks blue in the sun for me! ... but whatever...its a pain to keep clean...as soon as you wipe it, you will see debris again....no more dark colours for me...next time white or silver :) 

They are a nightmare to keep looking good. My motorcycle is the same, black and it shows dirt 24/7 regardless! But i like to think at least it gets used, and looks like it too. I like a workhorse tool, and for it to look like it was designed to be! 

The silver is a good colour. It has a really good depth to the paint, where it looks very light under bright sunlight or very deep/dark at night or overcast skies. I liked that on my last car, and it really showed off the lines in the body too. The darker colours hide this and you do miss the shapes of the vehicle 

Edited by dj1233

6 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

It was the M47 Engine, so also with the potential timing chain issue too! It was a great engine up until that point. I'm in a similar boat, i went for the 530D though, as i don't need anything more than that for most my daily uses. It's a solid car and been looked after well, so i'll continue that and run it for the next few years. 

Fingers crossed its a good reliable unit for you, they are just cracking cars when running properly.  Its just getting them to that point thats a struggle..  I havent even let the other half know im spending more money on it before i even really use it :-)

Think the M47 was less prone to the timing chain issues of that of the N47, like you say great engines when running.  Once upto speed they were cracking motors and amazing fuel economy for such a big motor.  I had a newer 120d xdrive for a while and it with the newer engine at best would give around 42-44mpg with a route i drive regularly for work around 110miles each way.  The 520d would easily return 54mpg at same speeds on same route, how can the older engine be better on the juice..

11 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

They are a nightmare to keep looking good. My motorcycle is the same, black and it shows dirt 24/7 regardless! But i like to think at least it gets used, and looks like it too. I like a workhorse tool, and for it to look like it was designed to be! 

The silver is a good colour. It has a really good depth to the paint, where it looks very light under bright sunlight or very deep/dark at night or overcast skies. I liked that on my last car, and it really showed off the lines in the body too. The darker colours hide this and you do miss the shapes of the vehicle 

yes...and not to mention that black is not suitable for where i live...car becomes like an oven especially in our hot summers :(  

2 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

yes...and not to mention that black is not suitable for where i live...car becomes like an oven especially in our hot summers :(  

Ha ha, we dont have that problem up here in Highlands :-)

6 minutes ago, mpgscott said:

Ha ha, we dont have that problem up here in Highlands :-)

yeah...its nice up there...you can actually breathe 

probably its a plus for you...to absorb as much heat as possible 

Just now, tallman85 said:

yeah...its nice up there...you can actually breathe 

probably its a plus for you...to absorb as much heat as possible 

Ive gone for a silver version but the black is lovely looking when nice and clean.

Yes we are blessed up here, great roads and very quite however it does rain an awful lot :-)

On 19/08/2020 at 19:52, mpgscott said:

Fingers crossed its a good reliable unit for you, they are just cracking cars when running properly.  Its just getting them to that point thats a struggle..  I havent even let the other half know im spending more money on it before i even really use it :-)

Think the M47 was less prone to the timing chain issues of that of the N47, like you say great engines when running.  Once upto speed they were cracking motors and amazing fuel economy for such a big motor.  I had a newer 120d xdrive for a while and it with the newer engine at best would give around 42-44mpg with a route i drive regularly for work around 110miles each way.  The 520d would easily return 54mpg at same speeds on same route, how can the older engine be better on the juice..

Yeah they were a stronger engine the the N47's, and less prone. The N47's seemed to fix everything else and leave one weak spot to fail! I averaged 40mpg in mine, but i never drove it in an economical manner, only with mechanical sympathy in mind. It was a great engine for the time i had it, yes it did feel under powered for the car, but as long as you knew how to work the engine you never felt as though it was cumbersome. 

Passed an MOT this week first time with no advisories !  Never happens to me. But I was hopeful going into it. After it initially failed last year it  then passed with no advisories after the remedial work was done. It has done less than 600 miles in the year so if there was ever going to be a time for a clean pass this was it, and it was :)

Picked up a spare 6HP28 gearbox this week, it popped up on FB marketplace for £350 complete with TC, it came from a 2008 635d with 40k on the clock that was written off in 2012 and has sat since. Too good to pass on and will sit as a spare for mine, I will full service it when I find the time.