Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

6 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Your talking millimeters and skimming takes off probably a tenth of a mm. Let's put it this way, original discs, 58k, skimmed once. still got 2mm left to the wear marker.

Skimming  1/10 MM or 4thou of an inch, not worth doing, entering emperor's new clothes territory there.  (IMO)

19 minutes ago, Keith_H said:

Skimming  1/10 MM or 4thou of an inch, not worth doing, entering emperor's new clothes territory there.  (IMO)

Not my car and I couldn't care less what he did 5 years ago, he arrived with new discs ;)

1 hour ago, Keith_H said:

Not quite true, take GoNz0's 4k mile disc's 0.03mm run out, you could skim them flat & true & have 

took off less than 0.05mm. I could have done this I have a surface grinder at work.

The recommend price for oe fitment ate two part disc's for a 535d is a eye watering £740.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

48 minutes ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Not quite true, take GoNz0's 4k mile disc's 0.03mm run out, you could skim them flat & true & have 

took off less than 0.05mm. I could have done this I have a surface grinder at work.

The recommend price for oe fitment ate two part disc's for a 535d is a eye watering £740.

Trade my mate paid about £450 for 535 front discs and pads for me to fit!

I would have had mine skimmed but I managed to buy new BMW front discs and pads with a pair of calipers for £300 as the guy needed the cash and his wiper arm fixing, I figured for that price it wasn't to be turned down!

Previous owners keeping the top side looking good but not bothering with the bits you can not see, for my sins these have been on the get around to it list since I bought the car last May.

IMG_4279.JPG.062eb521d8565679b4b9f8105517be07.JPG

And investigated the faulty low tone horn which probably failed because it has been showered with water every time the car is driven in the rain due to the missing air duct right next to where the low horn hangs. More plastic to buy and a horn, I've got the 9V test signal and 13V when the horn is sounded but no low tone so that would be the horn not the BCM or wiring which is another easy fix for another day.

18 hours ago, Keith_H said:

Previous owners keeping the top side looking good but not bothering with the bits you can not see, for my sins these have been on the get around to it list since I bought the car last May.

IMG_4279.JPG.062eb521d8565679b4b9f8105517be07.JPG

And investigated the faulty low tone horn which probably failed because it has been showered with water every time the car is driven in the rain due to the missing air duct right next to where the low horn hangs. More plastic to buy and a horn, I've got the 9V test signal and 13V when the horn is sounded but no low tone so that would be the horn not the BCM or wiring which is another easy fix for another day.

Are they easy to replace? My driver side needs doing also thanks to the previous owner

11 hours ago, J.Sayer said:

Are they easy to replace? My driver side needs doing also thanks to the previous owner

Yes very easy, just two X point quick release screws on the inner side (which are captive to the centre under shield) and three 8mm hex head screws through the wheel arch liner. I managed without removing the wheels, it would have been slightly easier with them off but I doubt it would have been  any quicker, about 1/2 hour per side. Each side is about £50 in the UK or £35 from Latvia (ebay) or you can get pattern ones from around £15 from the likes of AutoDoc but I went for the ones with the originals just for the little rubber lip in the wheel arch, sad I know.

Car is still in the garage after the recent breakdown. DPF has been cleaned, glow plugs & controller replaced, 1 x injector is screwed so that's being replaced. The idea is to getting it running properly/correctly & then i'll get some maintenance bits done (belts & pulleys is on the list) and check the rear subframe/rear bushes. Hopefully the rest of the car is all right . . . .

Passed mot today.

With no cat or dpf..been a great car for a family man and will be sad to see it go in the morning!. 

Sold at 2800 which i know is cheap but i need it gone. Mot man said its super clean and looked after for age.

15 minutes ago, Chu said:

Passed mot today.

With no cat or dpf..been a great car for a family man and will be sad to see it go in the morning!. 

Sold at 2800 which i know is cheap but i need it gone. Mot man said its super clean and looked after for age.

getting something else? 

2 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

getting something else? 

Got a m3

Mine just had a 2 week holiday at Sytner Nottingham, tailgate corrosion warranty that they initially tried to worm out of due to some poorly repaired work where the boot had been shut on something, after arguing they can fix the rust behind the reg plate and the known issue where the glass shuts they took it in more than a year since I started my claim. There was good news as the initial next day repair was put on hold as they applied for a new tailgate and a week later got authorisation!

Happy days.

Not today, but Sunday, I changed my brake fluid.

Made much easier and quicker having acquired a pair of ESM service ramps, so I can now get underneath the car without having to jack it up and place it on stands.

IMG_4050.thumb.jpeg.465bb5b92759051c47552af7139f2905.jpeg

Made the mistake of thinking 'today is nice and sunny, I'll fit all the goodies that Cotswold sent me yesterday.

IMG_4301.thumb.JPG.48b9fef9ecd2ca2d6bc944df10c57925.JPG

Mistake because it was so sunny I could not see anything when trying to re fit all the cables and bracktry to re install the intake manifold.

All done now, took it for a test drive and loads of torque on the bottom end, a great improvement.

(CCV and the difficult to reach small DISA, the easy to get to large DISA was changed before lock down)

One more ticked off the list, next is replace the missing brake cooling duct then on to the audio, probably just some decent speakers but not sure what to go for yet.

10 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

News from the garage - car is dead. Swirl Flap into cylinder 3.

Time to start car hunting again. 

How many miles did it have? 

57 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

News from the garage - car is dead. Swirl Flap into cylinder 3.

Time to start car hunting again. 

Sorry to hear bud. I'm selling my 525d LCI if interested, it doesn't have swirl flaps! 

18 minutes ago, tallman85 said:

Sorry to hear bro.

goodluck in your hunt...will it be another bmw? 

i think so as nothing, for me, comes close to it for what it offers. My next decision is petrol or Diesel!

1 minute ago, 525-Jay said:

Sorry to hear bud. I'm selling my 525d LCI if interested, it doesn't have swirl flaps! 

thanks for the heads up. Not sure if i'll be going petrol or Diesel next. But if it's a Diesel it'll be a 525 or 530. 

Just now, dj1233 said:

thanks for the heads up. Not sure if i'll be going petrol or Diesel next. But if it's a Diesel it'll be a 525 or 530. 

Yeah I've moved to petrol so now I have a 530i and boy does it drink! Luckily I don't use my car for work or do regular long journeys so won't feel the hit too much but there's a solid 16mpg difference between my diesel and petrol on the motorway. I'm going to miss being in the 40s on the trip computer

7 minutes ago, dj1233 said:

What do you get on average with the 530i, mid 30's on a long run? What's the road tax been like, much of an increase the past few years or pretty stable?

So around motorways it's 33-35mpg with fairly relaxed driving. Town only it's 23-25mpg so combined you're looking at around 28-29

I've literally only bought the 530i two months ago so wouldn't know about historic road tax but my diesel is £17pm and petrol £23pm