Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

£32 for a new handle/switch surround, freshened it up :)

I did order a new surround for the light switch/start button but the lad at Rybrook forgot to put it in the package so that will have to wait until Tuesday.

20200524_151730.jpg

9 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

I did order a new surround for the light switch/start button but the lad at Rybrook forgot to put it in the package so that will have to wait until Tuesday.

20200524_151730.jpg

Do you need to take the door card out?  

mine needs a refresh too - fingernails destroy the soft-touch paint.  And I am noticing that with all these hand sanitizers we are using the paint will degrade faster. 

Do you need to take the door card out?  
mine needs a refresh too - fingernails destroy the soft-touch paint.  And I am noticing that with all these hand sanitizers we are using the paint will degrade faster. 
Yeah card off m8,

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A bit off issue here... Broke two pins or guides while removing the valve cover.. Anybody knows where to get them?  They are not listed on real oem...

Screenshot_20200525_135550.jpg

Edited by Biotoxic

Today I joined the 21st century and installed a dash cam. It's one of those things I know I should have already had installed for years, but have always been put off by how obtrusive they look in most other cars. I came across this Apeman one which is genuinely tiny, and cost the ridiculous amount of £27 from Amazon (I'm not sure how they can make a profit on that, but I'm not complaining!)

I'm really happy with it, it came with a 4m cable so I ran that all the way to the back of the car through the headlining and into a USB socket I already had piggy backed on the rear cigarette lighter socket (one of the only ignition lives in the car, there are none in the front fusebox.) It now only turns on when I turn on the igintion, no battery drain worries. It starts recording within a couple of seconds, and records for a couple of minutes after the ignition goes off as it has a battery built in. I won't preach to the converted, I'm sure you all know about these already, but if you have been pondering over them like I was, for the price, size and features, this one is perfect:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0819BVCCB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dashcam.jpg

Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't put it closer to the rear view mirror:

1. The SD card slot is annoyingly on the left (I guess RHD is not the international standard)
  2. The plastic surround of the rear view mirror is so huge, that any closer and it is very prominent in the recordings.

Been parked up for a while now, so decided to go fill up with the regular V-power and went for a little sunny afternoon cruise.
Tunes rolling, the AC is nice n fresh... seems that the old 530i manual E61 has still got 'it' B). Well, enough of 'it' for me anyways.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:10 PM, GoNz0 said:

20200524_151730.jpg

How much was the surround for the start button?

How much was the surround for the start button?
Close to £40

5 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

Close to £40

That’s very much worth it in my case. Mines a little bit of a mess. I want the steering wheel done as well like yours. 

On 6/1/2020 at 7:50 AM, iReaper1157 said:

That’s very much worth it in my case. Mines a little bit of a mess. I want the steering wheel done as well like yours. 

You could rub it with thinners then give it a coat of plasticoat.

Supposed to be as good as the original finish.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

8 hours ago, dirtydirtydiesel said:

You could rub it with thinners then give it a coat of plasticoat.

Supposed to be as good as the original finish.

I don’t even know what plasticoat is. Does it involve spraying?

11 hours ago, iReaper1157 said:

I don’t even know what plasticoat is. Does it involve spraying?

Yeah it's a spray plastic coating like you find all over our interiors, 

Have a goggle. 

On 6/3/2020 at 7:02 PM, dirtydirtydiesel said:

Yeah it's a spray plastic coating like you find all over our interiors, 

Have a goggle. 

I’d make a right mess of that! 

Hi. I've been working on our e61se model lately. It had non leather interior abd wife wanted leather m sport seats so all interior in now. Next thing i would like to fit is m sport steering wheel. Now maybe somebody knows if steering wheel from pre lci would fit to lci car?

I rather go for lci as its bit nicer to touch,but if pre lci fits too and i can get it for decend price then i will do that.

Thanks

Fitment is dependant on the type of key, blade vs fob and not pre LCI Vs LCI

Here's a picture of the rear of the steering wheels, it might help confirm you have the correct one! Take yours off to be 100%

93737355_steeringwheelcomparison.jpg.9bd34891d74d70bb2fb1f2921ca9e55a.jpg

IOrdered a few part's to do the belts refresh,  as far as I can tell mine is all oe stuff & @ 144k I feel

Its all on borrowed time + lockdown rules allowing we've got a road trip to St Ives & back in three weeks. 

Didn't want to get stuck at the side of the road & at the mercy of a local garage 

So I went ahead & ordered

Corteco crankshaft pulley £171 delivered ( thanks GoNz0 )

Corteco bolt set £17.76

Gates drive belt set (K216PK2083) £78.36

Gates aircon belt £11.17

Meyle H/D water pump £45.98

Phew £324.27

That'll do for now I hope, need to let the coffers recover a bit

After this it's,  engine mounts & gearbox gilbo

Then a full sussy re fresh 

This is getting a bit like Triggers broom!

It'll be worth it in the end, she is lovely to drive.

Edited by dirtydirtydiesel

On 25/05/2020 at 21:10, edd_jedi said:

Today I joined the 21st century and installed a dash cam. It's one of those things I know I should have already had installed for years, but have always been put off by how obtrusive they look in most other cars. I came across this Apeman one which is genuinely tiny, and cost the ridiculous amount of £27 from Amazon (I'm not sure how they can make a profit on that, but I'm not complaining!)

I'm really happy with it, it came with a 4m cable so I ran that all the way to the back of the car through the headlining and into a USB socket I already had piggy backed on the rear cigarette lighter socket (one of the only ignition lives in the car, there are none in the front fusebox.) It now only turns on when I turn on the igintion, no battery drain worries. It starts recording within a couple of seconds, and records for a couple of minutes after the ignition goes off as it has a battery built in. I won't preach to the converted, I'm sure you all know about these already, but if you have been pondering over them like I was, for the price, size and features, this one is perfect:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0819BVCCB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dashcam.jpg

Looks ok, has it got a rear camera also?

Fitted turbo chra (eBay dfo £63 with new bolts, gaskets and seal. looked well built but time will tell) the old one still pulled well but had a bit of a buzz at certain rpm and generally noisy and I didn't want to wait for it to crap itself, swirl flaps(been in a drawer for a couple of years) replaced some vac pipes while at it. Oil and filter, air filter.

Running nice. 

1 hour ago, Syemondo said:

Fitted turbo chra (eBay dfo £63 with new bolts, gaskets and seal. looked well built but time will tell) the old one still pulled well but had a bit of a buzz at certain rpm and generally noisy and I didn't want to wait for it to crap itself, swirl flaps(been in a drawer for a couple of years) replaced some vac pipes while at it. Oil and filter, air filter.

Running nice. 

Interesting, is that like a complete turbo rebuild kit? Im asking because i can see some oil leaks on my small turbo recently which i need to investigate further, but in the back of my mind im thinking if worst case scenario what are my options to fix it, replace, refurb, hybrid, diy rebuild etc...

24 minutes ago, max535 said:

Interesting, is that like a complete turbo rebuild kit? Im asking because i can see some oil leaks on my small turbo recently which i need to investigate further, but in the back of my mind im thinking if worst case scenario what are my options to fix it, replace, refurb, hybrid, diy rebuild etc...

This is the one I used. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183686696792

There are available kits for yours. 

I had reservations regarding the cost and reliability but as I was doing it with my mate and bunged him £60 for his help and facilities I took a punt. 

Quality control is loads better than in the past and for £125 Inc fitting it's a cheap experiment. 

Edited by Syemondo
Wrong link