Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

40 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Nice job max, what products did you use to re-colour? Any links?

Keliuss

Thanks, for some reason the seller i bought it off has no items for sale anymore... weird, the brand was scratch doctor though and it came with a little tub of colour matched filler, this is the same size bottle i used and i still have almost half left. I think they say on their website you need 250ml for one seat but i did all the seats with half of that. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Leather-All-In-One-Colourant-Dye-Touch-Up-Paint-Repair-For-BMW-Car-Leather/272717505091?var=571853240293&hash=item3f7f3ae243:g:kuIAAOSwoQleVpQ8

I have sport seats and being pre lci the headrests are not very good. 

I have plans in the future but have been using those pillow things for a bit of extra support. 

Anyway being bored in lock down I decided to have a play. 

Removed the plastic trim from underneath the headrest to have a look. 

I decided to plump them up using the filling from my aftermarket pillow things. 

Stuffed them up nice and tight getting as much in there evenly as poss. 

Clipped the leather back on and refitted. 

Gave them a spray of isopropyl alcohol to stretch them out a couple of times and job done. 

More support and softer on my head. 

The leather should slowly stretch a bit more over time and get softer. 

Cheap mod that took 30 mins. 

IMG_20200504_134620_zpseyb1ye2h.jpg

IMG_20200504_134716_zpsotq5mxsa.jpg

IMG_20200504_134924_zps0royhmrs.jpg

IMG_20200504_135055_zpsv8y0bnbc.jpg

IMG_20200504_135929_zpsxarvstcd.jpg

IMG_20200504_142106_zpswjqgbe2b.jpg

Edited by Syemondo
Typo

2 minutes ago, Syemondo said:

I have sport seats and being pre lci they are not very good. 

I have plans in the future but have been using those pillow things for a bit of extra support. 

Anyway being bored in lock down I decided to have a play. 

Removed the plastic trim from underneath the headrest to have a look. 

I decided to plump them up using the filling from my aftermarket pillow things. 

Stuffed them up nice and tight getting as much in there evenly as poss. 

Clipped the leather back on and refitted. 

Gave them a spray of isopropyl alcohol to stretch them out a couple of times and job done. 

More support and softer on my head. 

The leather should slowly stretch a bit more over time and get softer. 

Cheap mod that took 30 mins. 

IMG_20200504_134620_zpseyb1ye2h.jpg

Interesting, any pics of them fitted?

I was just adding more pics when you replied :)

Here you go. 

They need a clean and feed and conditioner now as the alcohol has dried them and the seat up a bit

IMG_20200504_160413_zpsscuhpwhr.jpg

Edited by Syemondo
Pic

Another cheeky mod was chopping up my rear view mirror to accommodate the rear view cam monitor. 

I can still use the clowns nose for the dazzlers behind but the mirror monitor itself doesn't have the angled glass for the dimmed view unfortunately but it works well enough. 

I also fitted a rocker switch next to the sunroof switch so I can switch the camera on anytime not just in reverse. 

IMG_20200504_161532_zpssqof4bcj.jpg

IMG_20200504_162126_zpspsxpqi0n.jpg

This lock down has me messing around just to avoid boredom. 

That's not bad at all, i want the lci headrests but this could be a compromise.

You should switch to Imgur btw i have just done it recently.

I've used photo bucket for years but they seem to be getting arsey these days. 

Will sort an imgur account out :)

I was looking at lci headrests last night as they do look more comfy. 

These will do for now as long term I fancy upgrading the seats to comforts if a couple of fronts come up at the right price. I'm in no rush though. 

This pic might be better. 

IMG_20200504_164951_zpsrmwp3fs3.jpg

IMG_20200504_170517_zps6iwkubeo.jpg

Edited by Syemondo

I know what you mean. 

I'm happy doing bits and bobs to my current seats in the meantime. 

I've seen retrofit heating and venting kits but without perforated leather it's a waste of time.

Half leather seats on the other hand would work a treat. :)

Don't want to tempt you to do a non-essential road trip, but there's a guy in Peterborough on FB marketplace selling a pair of front heated comfort seats in black out of a pre-lci in the same sport seat style as yours and with the adjustable cushion, they are a bit scruffy but a perfect candidate for a spruce up with a repair kit, only £250... obviously a bit far from you but just saying :ph34r: ;) :lol:

I did see those actually :) but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. :D

There's other stuff to do before I go for seats. 

I'm due a service. Oil, filters etc.. Plus I want to do the gearbox oil, diff oil and check the front suspension arms and links etc.. 

I'm sticking to cheap mods until I know what I'm going to be spending. 

Being my work car all that comes first. 

My mechanic pal is in lock down so it will all have to wait till he's up and running. 

Two other small projects are planned later this week when the stuff arrives but I'm saying nothing yet in case I f**k it all up :-D

Edited by Syemondo

On 02/05/2020 at 21:33, Syemondo said:

My rear vents have taken a shoeing before I got it with a couple of slats missing. 

If you have the slats you can remove and rebuild the little vent mechanism, i had a slat missing too and used another broken one to rebuild mine just now, so now i have 5 slats going spare except the adjuster ones, which ones do you need? 

Edited by max535

1 hour ago, max535 said:

If you have the slats you can remove and rebuild the little vent mechanism, i had a slat missing too and used another broken one to rebuild mine just now, so now i have 5 slats going spare except the adjuster ones, which ones do you need? 

Unfortunately it's the adjuster ones.:(

I assume because they protrude more they're the first to feel the wrath of a flip flop. 

I really do appreciate the offer though Max.

Many thanks. :-D

From doing between 300 to 500 miles a week for the last 20 years barring the odd week off here and there for hols  to doing 20 miles in the last 6 weeks has been super weird. 

Doing bits on the car has helped me stay sane. I used to moan about the amount of miles I do but I actually miss it. The e61 is a nice place to be doing big miles. 

I can't wait for the day when I start moaning about traffic and all the miles I do. 

Anyway, thanks again Max and everyone else please forgive my ramblings. 

Lock down has a lot to answer for. :?:grin:

No worries mate you're welcome, and yeah we all need things to keep us busy hence the offer, i cant wait until we can moan about first world problems again either :lol:

On 5/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, Syemondo said:

Two other small projects are planned later this week when the stuff arrives but I'm saying nothing yet in case I f**k it all up 

Don't be shy, we will all learn what ever the outcome.

FWIW I don't like You Tubers that appear to get it right first time every time, I can relate to the ones that show the occasional  F up and out take along the way.

Wow i didn't realise they're suppose to be that shiny, that must be quite satisfying, i take it you cleaned behind all the areas they attach to, do they all pop off quite easily then?

On my car the ones on the front doors at the bottom of the windows stick up at the back and don't seem to want to go down, is that easily corrected do you know?

I just go over with the DA when I'm compounding the car, they come up like new.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, max535 said:

Wow i didn't realise they're suppose to be that shiny, that must be quite satisfying, i take it you cleaned behind all the areas they attach to, do they all pop off quite easily then?

On my car the ones on the front doors at the bottom of the windows stick up at the back and don't seem to want to go down, is that easily corrected do you know?

Yeah mate all cleaned behind them. I tried giving them a polish but the chemicals that were used on it to wash it had tarnished them too much. We are quiet in work anyway so gave me something to do.

They look fantastic. Do you know the paint code for that black or did you just mix some up yourself? It would be great to know the code, I scratched my door piece with my watch ages ago, it reminds me every time I get to the car!

Bought a set of staggered 19" directionals that were in dire need of a refurb with brand new tyres for €150 from a local scrap yard a while back. Refurbished them myself over the last week and fitted them earlier on. Cost about €210 all in. Tyres alone worth that! Need to see about lowering her next. 

20200508-205304.jpg

Well...i hated that my engine cover was broken from the side...however because the car has only 78k miles the foam is still brand new...but i took a chance and bought one from Germany...the outside is mint but the foam was not as good as mine...so i transplanted my foam on the cover I bought. It Was a pain to remove the starlock washers but managed and happy with it :)  I have no idea how they broke it! I suspected they pulled with removing the screws!!!

60953276-0784-40F9-9B56-2F8DC82C6F64.thumb.jpeg.b3996a0bc86e55c531b0ab61c2722341.jpeg

while at it i also installed some plastic covers on the wheel bolts...not sure how they came from the factory but my opel had them from factory and i liked it.  I went for dark grey...looks nice imho. What do you think?

3BD12D1D-0E07-4EDA-88A0-75F35BBC7109.thumb.jpeg.e597761edbc2ed916ee927dc1e10671d.jpeg

Very clean finish to the wheel, I think I might get a set for the summer wheels.

I've had fun with the engine cover too, dropped one of the cap screws down the side of the engine! Knocked the undertray a couple of times and it came out of hiding with the aid of a magnet.

40 minutes ago, FLX said:

Very clean finish to the wheel, I think I might get a set for the summer wheels.

I've had fun with the engine cover too, dropped one of the cap screws down the side of the engine! Knocked the undertray a couple of times and it came out of hiding with the aid of a magnet.

thanks.  Well, i powder coated the wheels a couple of months ago and got new badges and centre caps too.  I do regret it as the salt damaged erosion can still be seen on close inspection....so with all the money spent i would have bought a set of new non original spiders 19s....however I waned the original look and to match the data card...hence the decision. 

11 years of cold and rain in the UK...this is the first summer here...car sunbathing in our first heatwave....33 degrees in the shade!!!

i don’t think this car will hold up well in the sun.... :(  ... will see!

309D5E85-7224-46D1-A529-C06B0CD968F2.thumb.jpeg.87f8c9e3f82f20ee1afc51684197aa9f.jpeg