Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

2 minutes ago, ger said:

That's impressive!

Is there a uv protective coating oncluded?

No, they will be shagged within 6 months unless protected.

I ve been told that a coating of clear lacquer does the job. Is this good info?

Thinking of doing them on the e39 but the uv side of things worries me a bit.

11 minutes ago, ger said:

I ve been told that a coating of clear lacquer does the job. Is this good info?

Thinking of doing them on the e39 but the uv side of things worries me a bit.

This is a good kit m8 https://www.spraymax.com/en-us/products/product/clear-coats-and-spot-blender/headlight-restoration-kit/

Single use though as the 2k clearcoat  once activated lasts about 14 hours before the can's gone off.

Edited by GoNz0

Under no false illusions..i reckon less than 6 months without protection.

Have clearcoat ordered from e bay

£9.

Edited by Chu

Used the meguires 1 step earlier the year (think it was January) and the are every bit as bad again now. Was toying with trying their 2 step kit as the 2nd step is supposed to be a uv protection.

18 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Feels like new then?

Massively so. I had a rattle and decided to do it all. Feels really tight now but I'll probably regret my decision on going cheap with the parts tho. But be an interesting test I suppose. 

1 minute ago, iReaper1157 said:

Massively so. I had a rattle and decided to do it all. Feels really tight now but I'll probably regret my decision on going cheap with the parts tho. But be an interesting test I suppose. 

You will find out within weeks, a mate of mine put some happy shopper parts on and within a week a bush tore, soon after that the rubber covers tore open on the ball joints. £480 on Lemforder parts later and a day on my drive using my tools he had it sorted.

Bmw parts arent a dead cert..i had failed parts in under a year.

Im trying lemforder this time around.

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

You will find out within weeks, a mate of mine put some happy shopper parts on and within a week a bush tore, soon after that the rubber covers tore open on the ball joints. £480 on Lemforder parts later and a day on my drive using my tools he had it sorted.

Be interesting to find out. If I have to do it again then it won't be so bad as now nothing is seized and will fly on and off. It'll only be the control arms that will fail if anything. 

Changed the engine breather filter. Had to drill the bolt heads off as they were overtightened and damaged .. Changed the whole unit, found out the old one(same vortex "filter") didn't had a gasket on the internal part so leaking extra oil at the Inlet manifold.. Gaskets at the same unit were shrunk and leaking  as I used 0w-30 Castrol at the last time I changed engine oil... Also re-soldered some connections for one of the amps. Seems to be working fine now...

On 15/09/2019 at 11:38, iReaper1157 said:

Be interesting to find out. If I have to do it again then it won't be so bad as now nothing is seized and will fly on and off. It'll only be the control arms that will fail if anything. 

Meyle. Around half the price of Lemforder and better than the rest. Two years warranty as standard. Meyle HD parts are upgraded versions that come with a four year warranty. If you can afford/justify Lemforder then great, they are OEM but if not... 

8 hours ago, Deviant said:

Meyle. Around half the price of Lemforder and better than the rest. Two years warranty as standard. Meyle HD parts are upgraded versions that come with a four year warranty. If you can afford/justify Lemforder then great, they are OEM but if not... 

The ones I got came with a 2 year guarantee. But I can imagine it's completely worthless. 

Well the trusty ol' E61 failed it's MOT today.. Bloody crack in a wheel rim :angry:.. Now to find someone who can repair it.. :unsure:

Took the plastic under panels off. Found a rust site, probably worth it for you all to take a look. Just inboard of the front jacking point on both sides:

20190920_220843.thumb.jpg.751a9e8c196cfc7b7e0d7273fce56be9.jpg

Passenger side

20190920_220942.thumb.jpg.cac999ce0c6b6d7505b14c720c71b4f0.jpg

Driver's side.

I've scraped thdm down, cleaned up and treated them. Will be getting some paint later on.

6 hours ago, ger said:

Took the plastic under panels off. Found a rust site, probably worth it for you all to take a look. Just inboard of the front jacking point on both sides:

Passenger side

Driver's side.

I've scraped thdm down, cleaned up and treated them. Will be getting some paint later on.

Glad you caught that in time, reminds me I need to sort a couple of bits out under mine.

Edited by GoNz0

5 hours ago, ger said:

20190920_220843.thumb.jpg.751a9e8c196cfc7b7e0d7273fce56be9.jpg

Passenger side

20190920_220942.thumb.jpg.cac999ce0c6b6d7505b14c720c71b4f0.jpg

Driver's side.

Had the passenger side off mine to do  brake lines for mot but thankfully found it to be rust free. The rear chassis legs and boot floor on the other hand needed treatment especially round the rear subframe mounts. That was last weekends job.

this weekend was replacing the left rear upper suspension arm and compressor air feed line. Didn’t realise how far gone the suspension arm was gone till it was replaced. The steering wheel was slightly out of alignment on straight ahead before changing and is now spot on straight.

8 hours ago, Chu said:

Applied e tech clear coat..now they look shit again ffs.

20190921_113027.jpg

I asked a mate to look who does this a lot and he said that looks like it was mist coats and not a proper coating in one pass?

Also said they would need sanding so the paint keys properly?

Edited by GoNz0

5 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

I asked a mate to look who does this a lot and he said that looks like it was mist coats and not a proper coating in one pass?

Why would a mist coat go on something clear?.

I have now re furbed them again.. i wont bother with lacquer again i will just polish them every other wash.

20190921_203553.jpg