Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

On 12/07/2019 at 21:20, warnie said:

2nd prom outing in a year for the 545. Last year my niece and this year was special as it was my daughters (the one on the right). 

Running late so only a quick detailer spray and window clean. But it held it's own despite being one of the cheapest cars dropping off.

Btw. This car is 15 years old next year! 

20190712_191309.jpg

Love those wheels!

Edited by rikedwards

On 15/07/2019 at 23:29, gIzzE said:

Normally part number 11 on here if it clunks under braking....

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PX72-EUR-11-2007-E61N-BMW-530d&diagId=31_0655

Is it quite loud when you jab the brakes on moving slowly?

no knocks at all, only creaking. And the creaking gets louder/worse with heavier braking. Under light loads there is no noise. 

On 16/07/2019 at 00:22, DarkHorse said:

In my case: Straight line moderate low speed braking, hard enough to gently dip the front end, I hear a series of mild knocks/creaks as the brake loads up and then again when the brake unloads. The harder the braking the more knocks you get loading up and unloading. Though I can't reproduce the noises any other way, even by pushing the front end down manually when stationary.

If it were a ball joint then I would expect one clonk with brake on and another with break off, still a highly likely suspect though (reluctantly). Or maybe steering rack/tie rods but the tracking is stable with no front tyre wear issues for 13k miles.

Also not the same as the noise that can be heard from the front anti roll bar center rubber bush, I notice sometimes driving off from cold on a cool day when dropping over a speed bump a little to fast, when the rubber bush can moan.
Not the shock tower bolts or the engine bay cross brace bolts either (which were all a bit lose at ~10nm).

Mine is the same as yours, except no knocks only a creaking. I can't feel any play in the hub/ball joints either, all feels solid and the bush also looks ok; not persished and very little movement when applying pressure with a pry bar.

I'm hoping this caliper guide bush is the fix. Will be use some wet & dry paper on the pins and checking the bore for uneven surfaces too. The kit from Ebay is about £8 a side and even comes with a new piston diaphragm too. I won't get round to this till probably next week so will update once completed. 

On 30/05/2019 at 13:06, GoNz0 said:

FIxed my diversity antenna as the fobs packed in, it would occasionally lock but not unlock.

WFDA9rP7g5_eG996Q3ryM5rcUwegh3DKnAmCICwKRP-wmJlO65Nmd6rWv0YBOuI0SdvwJxAf4t9v5FwW437Iz8JMY0VdQ4QA-Ygoph3GxtMqDjThkA1UE_e5iCJAQvkL8qiy40qu15SpVAxXXVHiZ5NJapSi6T4RTsBnTJOgb77EpLV9vE6BVxr57bVZdtZWU7H0bMRDTepugwcp2-S3Q-YY-GN6xsBYaUxb8xchgg5y2rjpuj7Wt6P9cqOzRBxI8UuAZQ8CFsQJR-LBP4_-v1Z19QOYUv7Z6ynOTYhH8vKZQ49VjCymrkRYu7sm6uxzTb6Q_PAWFHI6ogKQYcAuASvoYHjZVCuHTj8ZPCCYQZhyV4xamH9jYBfQyZ8QAzpLMRVmgoiEJFDTxQeYBQk1ExAdUluIcrkR9BwsL5olSVziZodXxQ5fEntBW8OCTN_jR2wnQQkgCt-BDw-8IbpUD0I4ozFobzc-7LebQ58d7EsJO2s5kc0BN_H1KFPUCkqmpvqUsiDlysDdqA1aHF_hsObxHorQhVhntA2Ym2wg3yOgm5QMBq3XNYN-N48NCUjFQ1nSCGxLHlQ87NZxpfmijDlOrPoJn1Q354AZ0yksJfLy3x_XsxpF1CgxHMtAAYKcT6Uw_LjsehNZgGuHO7459VxcnSRas1F-=w2283-h1884-no

Hi mate 

Any info on what you you did to resurrect the diversity? Mine has really crap range just now, still works. Cleaning with electrical cleaner not cutting it anymore. 

19 hours ago, mitchgixer6 said:

Hi mate 

Any info on what you you did to resurrect the diversity? Mine has really crap range just now, still works. Cleaning with electrical cleaner not cutting it anymore. 

Very fine copper coated wire brush and alcohol spray to clean up that section of the board.

22 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Very fine copper coated wire brush and alcohol spray to clean up that section of the board.

Thanks for the tip. Bought a spark plug brush today and scrubbed as much corrosion as I could from the board and components, but unfortunately no improvement. :cry:

Stuck 2 of these in the barge today, one up from activated charcoal so figured why not :)

20190720_102417.jpg

20 hours ago, mitchgixer6 said:

Thanks for the tip. Bought a spark plug brush today and scrubbed as much corrosion as I could from the board and components, but unfortunately no improvement. :cry:

I really don't know as I have yet to get my hands on the broken one I was promised to try and fix but a high res pic front and back may help?

What's the surface like where the DA bolts to the body?

There are only a few small sections of corrosion on my board. Compared to some I've seen pictures of its really not that bad. Don't have any pictures just yet unfortunately, if I get the time I'll pull it out and take some. Area around the bolt holes seems clear. Certainly the section where your corrosion was is clear too. 

6 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Stuck 2 of these in the barge today, one up from activated charcoal so figured why not :)

20190720_102417.jpg

What are so special about these?  Pollen filters are ridiculous money these days especially as you need two and they aren't so in pairs. 

You buy what you think is a pair... :rolleyes: Even that box says 1pc. What other cars do these fit? 

Edited by Deviant

8 minutes ago, Deviant said:

What are so special about these?  Pollen filters are ridiculous money these days especially as you need two and they aren't so in pairs. 

You buy what you think is a pair... :rolleyes: Even that box says 1pc. What other cars do these fit? 

These are meant to keep more smells and allergens out than standard charcoal so I thought I would try them, they make them for lots of cars.

3 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

These are meant to keep more smells and allergens out than standard charcoal so I thought I would try them, they make them for lots of cars.

Oh yeah,  activated carbon or something. Mann were doing them for nearly £40 a pair 

26 minutes ago, Deviant said:

Oh yeah,  activated carbon or something. Mann were doing them for nearly £40 a pair 

I meant carbon, I was looking for charcoal for my BBQ earlier :)

Took everything out of the spare wheel well for the first time to find it bone dry and no signs of water drying out! :D

Edited by fizz

Added a splash of colour:

20190724_210843.thumb.jpg.99731b46b65a2cef2783a2e905437d5a.jpg

Got it from CYLED on Facebook, arrived next day!

Looks good, doesn't really stand out that much when in the car. Other passengers won't see it in the e60/61 either. Also, it lights up perfectly, the writing is perfectly clear.

Air con regassed and finally have cold air again! :-D Just in time for heading off on holiday next week. 

Got the mechanic to put in a can of STP super seal too, so hopefully that will sort out my leak. 

Checked over the back end for mot. The wallet is about to take another battering. The list so far:

Rear discs, pads and shoes.

Rear flexi hoses

Metal brake lines

Surface rust treatment on chassis legs and boot floor.

I like the car but it’s starting to push my commitment to putting it right.

Fitted front and rear polyurethane anti rool bar bushes on Thursday afternoon.

Got them from PSB (ie Problem Solving Bushes) on ebay, but they're the same price on their website - I later discovered. 

They seemed to be solid stuff and fit perfectly, no issues after a few miles on the road today.

Pics:

20190725_175610.thumb.jpg.c166db5eef0794a9e1cba1a9b46b0472.jpg

Front bushes, code 617 for the 535d.

20190725_170344.thumb.jpg.52928665e859a7afc91a207b04f9a238.jpg

Rear bushes, code 646. 

Bushes in the pictures are the old ones, but the new ones fitted perfectly.

Got some Bosch A955S wiper blades today, for the front. Ordered a Bosch H753 for the rear.

Fitted front and rear polyurethane anti rool bar bushes on Thursday afternoon.
Got them from PSB (ie Problem Solving Bushes) on ebay, but they're the same price on their website - I later discovered. 
They seemed to be solid stuff and fit perfectly, no issues after a few miles on the road today.

Pics:
20190725_175610.thumb.jpg.c166db5eef0794a9e1cba1a9b46b0472.jpg
Front bushes, code 617 for the 535d.

20190725_170344.thumb.jpg.52928665e859a7afc91a207b04f9a238.jpg
Rear bushes, code 646. 

Bushes in the pictures are the old ones, but the new ones fitted perfectly.

Got some Bosch A955S wiper blades today, for the front. Ordered a Bosch H753 for the rear.
Do you notice a change in the ride?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

Do you notice a change in the ride?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Not yet, though I've only driven about 30miles or so. 

Did the job as pm, I'd changed everything else on the suspension last year but realised a few weeks ago that the arb bushes had been forgotten about!

The front bushes were a bit worn, I could move the arb from side to side quite easily but there wasn't any perceptible up and dowm movement. Rears were a bit tighter but still up to being changed.

I went for these as they were cheaper than oem and supposedly better stuff, being polyurethane. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:56 PM, mitchgixer6 said:

Air con regassed and finally have cold air again! :-D Just in time for heading off on holiday next week. 

Got the mechanic to put in a can of STP super seal too, so hopefully that will sort out my leak. 

I got my AC regassed 2 days ago after never having it for the last 7 weeks or so and man its a god send! £70 it cost me though due to the capacity of the system in these cars. 

Yip, same here. £70 for the gas and the injection of sealant. Definitely worth it though. Was going to try it myself with the regas kit, bit would have needed 2 bottles due to the 700g capacity.