Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Whoohoo!  I'm back on the road again.  

Car went in for a new rocker gasket (cheese and actual rice, £225.59 parts, labour and VAT for replacing a rocker gasket set!!!) and four wheel alignment last Friday.  The garage managed to break an adjuster bolt on the rear suspension so didn't get the car back until this afternoon.

When they phoned on Friday to tell me the adjuster bolt had sheared they said it was quite common for them to break but they were only a couple of quid so as soon as they can get one in from BMW it'll be sorted.  My initial thought was, if they're so prone to breaking why not just order a couple in and replace them as a matter of course, especially when the car has been booked in for over a week?!

I can't fault the work they do but a.) not having a bolt, that's prone to shearing and is inexpensive, in stock for a job that you know might need one isn't acceptable and b.) £225.59 to replace a rocker gasket is shocking.  I think I'll shop around next time!

On 24/06/2019 at 22:18, gIzzE said:

96ºc is the temp it tends to get to when trying to do a DPF regen. 

It should be sat at 89-91ºc normally depending on the thermostat fitted. 

You will soon get used to when it is trying to do a regen, sounds a bit gruffer, holds onto hears longer etc. etc. 

I would take it for a good run keeping an eye on temperature, it will go from 90ish to 96ºc after 20 mins or so, ythen keep driving round for 20 minutes more and it will suddenly drop back again, you will feel less vibration and the gears changing quicker around 1800rpm instead of trying to hold on to 2600rpm when doing the regen. 

Where does this info come from?

I'm one of the few people that monitor coolant temps every time I use the car, and I believe I'm quite rare in that I also monitor back-pressures, calculated soot masses, etc, etc. I have noted every single regen my car has done in the past 8 months. Coolant temps never budge outside their usual 91-92C when doing a regen.  The only times the temp gets to 96/97C  is:

1: The 30-40 seconds or so when the engine has just warmed from cold and the thermostat hasn't had a chance to open. Once it opens it drops back to 92.

2: In heavy traffic or car is sat parked.

3: After the engine is switched off and coolant flow stops, the temps rises again temporarily.

Here's an old screenshot of what I monitor. Engine had just been shut off.

Screenshot_2019-04-12-19-49-10.thumb.png.755a7898d824bfce72b75933e20978f1.png

Keliuss

I monitor these things regularly and during every regen my coolant temp get up to 95-96, ip from 88 to 90.

What app is that you're using? Has a nice layout.

I'm using btool at the moment but info is just in a list.

I hope things get sorted!

36 minutes ago, ger said:

I monitor these things regularly and during every regen my coolant temp get up to 95-96, ip from 88 to 90.

Interesting. Seems different behavior for different engines then. 

37 minutes ago, ger said:

What app is that you're using? Has a nice layout.

It's Torque, so user configurable but I'm using custom PIDs for the data not usually available with Torque out of the box.  The custom PIDs are a bit more involved and I've been meaning to make a thread on it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Keliuss

Washed mine yesterday, have to say the combination of ATE ceramic pads and Sonax wheel seal are working well, snow foam and the wheels were nearly clean.

No one else's 5 series have been on the drive for a while as I have been building the kids a shed from scratch now my thumb has recovered from the lump hammer popping it :(

41 minutes ago, Keliuss said:

Hmmm.........

bmwshed.jpg.98e6d0379c02898a42a4385611db4ef7.jpg

Keliuss

OMFG, I love this. so far I have no cladding... I wonder if the boss lady will greenlight this :)

20190702_205549.jpg

Edited by GoNz0

Finally found the time between shed building and the other stuff I am doing to fit my rear cam for the new Nextbase 522 as the cars due back at BMW soon so I need to see what the YTS lads are up to with my car this time... The good news is the cable rods go straight down the roof liner so I put it in some sleeve and pulled it through to the boot :)

20190703_125433.jpg

Replaced the windscreen wiper arm bearing that disintegrated!! Also replaced both wiper blades for good measure after they got bent after the catastrophic failure of the bearing.  You forget how good a new set of wipers are after getting used to a worn set! :lol: 

On 02/07/2019 at 20:17, Keliuss said:

Hmmm.........

bmwshed.jpg.98e6d0379c02898a42a4385611db4ef7.jpg

Keliuss

Ha ha! When we moved into our house in 1980 it had a shed that was about 75% old car bonnets - the old type that had two spring toggles and a hinge down the middle. 

Washed then waxed it with this stuff. Came up pretty well though I'll be surprised if it lasts as well as the Collinite I usually use. Wheels need a refurb but so do half a dozen other things in the house and garden. 

Then stripped out the scuttles to  check for crud - all pretty clean apart from a couple of decomposing leaves on the nearside. Couldn't fish them out so maybe take the wing liner out at some point. 

IMG_20190706_145601.jpg

IMG_20190706_145408.jpg

Replaced the post cat lambda sensor on bank one. Seems it didn’t like being disconnected while I was changing the clutch last week. Really nice to get no fault found following dis diagnostic checks :-) 

Friday evening she decided to dump her coolant on the road outside our house, investigations on Saturday morning showed that the hose to coolant flange on the cylinder head was leaking big time. The spigots on both sides of the flange had turned to chocolate crumb :( frantic phone calls on Saturday morning failed to turn up a replacement part until Tuesday morning, which would be fine unless the car was needed say to go to Gatwick for a 6am flight on Tuesday.

So two options, go to Gatwick in the Vito van or improvise.

One plumbing fitting, an o ring, the remains of the old flange and two hours on the lathe later...

BMWFlange3.thumb.JPG.88bd066bf5370c7321d2179b74db81e4.JPG

I fitted it this morning, cold pressure tested to 15PSI, did the electric pump coolant bleed thing then took it for a test drive. When I returned there was a slight weep from the improvised flange so not 100% successful but it will get me to Gatwick. New hose assembly will be ordered on my return.

1 hour ago, Keith_H said:

Friday evening she decided to dump her coolant on the road outside our house, investigations on Saturday morning showed that the hose to coolant flange on the cylinder head was leaking big time. The spigots on both sides of the flange had turned to chocolate crumb :( frantic phone calls on Saturday morning failed to turn up a replacement part until Tuesday morning, which would be fine unless the car was needed say to go to Gatwick for a 6am flight on Tuesday.

So two options, go to Gatwick in the Vito van or improvise.

One plumbing fitting, an o ring, the remains of the old flange and two hours on the lathe later...

I fitted it this morning, cold pressure tested to 15PSI, did the electric pump coolant bleed thing then took it for a test drive. When I returned there was a slight weep from the improvised flange so not 100% successful but it will get me to Gatwick. New hose assembly will be ordered on my return.

I do like a good improvised fix :D. I had to take my leather belt off my trousers at the side of the motorway in Spain a few years back and use it to hold up the exhaust on a rusty old Transit van. Thing practically fell off and was dragging along underneath :rolleyes:

Keliuss

Retrofitted CIC with DAB after the CCC unit failed.  Main install done, coding done, just waiting on DAB diversity amplifier to arrive to finish.  

Finally got a replacement i-pod after the last one died. 

Anyone else with the logic 7 system find that through the ipod the sound is far better than CD? 

I wasn't that overwhelmed with the logic 7 until I put the ipod in. With it it sounds just as I expect a top end factory system to sound like. 

2 hours ago, warnie said:

Finally got a replacement i-pod after the last one died. 

Anyone else with the logic 7 system find that through the ipod the sound is far better than CD? 

I wasn't that overwhelmed with the logic 7 until I put the ipod in. With it it sounds just as I expect a top end factory system to sound like. 

How can you identify Logic 7?

I have centre speaker in the dash, tweeters in the doors and subs under the seats

Edited by rikedwards

The car was feeling a bit wallowy at motorway speeds. 

Had it on the lift and drivers side track rod end ball joint was easy enough to diagnose but we had to disconnect the air springs to find the nsr rear axle upper front arm balljoint and Osr axle front upper arm balljoint duff. 

All done. 4 wheel alignment and steering angle reset to do tomorrow. 

All part of the fun... 

26 minutes ago, rikedwards said:

How can you identify Logic 7?

I have centre speaker in the dash, tweeters in the doors and subs under the seats

You will have a L7 option in the I drive audio menus. All 5 series have tweeter covers and center cover but it doesn't mean anythings underneath. 

L7 also has speakers in the rear doors.

6 minutes ago, Syemondo said:

The car was feeling a bit wallowy at motorway speeds. 

Had it on the lift and drivers side track rod end ball joint was easy enough to diagnose but we had to disconnect the air springs to find the nsr rear axle upper front arm balljoint and Osr axle front upper arm balljoint duff. 

All done. 4 wheel alignment and steering angle reset to do tomorrow. 

All part of the fun... 

Regarding disconnecting the air springs. Did you simply remove the air line from the units? I need to check my rear suspension joints and not sure of the best way to deflate the bags without risk to damaging any components.