Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Today I fitted the wifi hotspot snap-in adapter. Looks cool but can't get the damned thing to work! I don't suppose anybody else knows how to use it? Or even better has the manual?

hotspot3.thumb.jpg.3fe241e55eafcd4b95e7ea539e6fb969.jpg

15 minutes ago, Deviant said:

I didn't know they made one. How much was it? 

I got lucky and found a poorly listed one for £90 on eBay, but looking at completed auctions they usually sell for £120-150+

New water pump and gaskets in, coolant finally showed up so I filled up and took her for a little warm up run. Now waiting on a drive belt and pulley kit as the tensioner bearings shagged. It's starting to feel like triggers broom :huh::lol:

Drove it . . . .since getting back on 2 wheels again the car has been left sitting. Only covered 200 miles in the past 5 weeks! where as normally it would have covered 1200 or so. 

Today was a pretty big day......

New front lower arms (both sets), new track rods, inners and outers, new shocks front and rear and new rear air springs. 

Quite a day. Car is temporarily off the road until I can have everything realigned. 

Really feeling it now, just want to sleep for a week! This kind of stuff used to be easy when I was a young lad, middle age really makes it a harder job!  Some of those nuts and bolts on the front offside did not want to play ball - had to get the angle grinder on two of them to get the front arm and track rod off!

Edited by Haych
Was supposed to read inners and outers, not inners and others. Dumb autocorrect!

2 hours ago, Haych said:

new track rods, inners and others, new shocks front and rear and new rear air springs. 

Some of those nuts and bolts on the front offside did not want to play ball - had to get the angle grinder on two of them to get the front arm and track rod off!

Was the crows foot spanner up to the job then?

I had to hacksaw thru the balljoints on the lower arms after the nylon nuts locked themselves solid on the rusted threads. Not surprised you used a grinder!

DSCN0097.jpg

I had the misfortune of taking mine back to get the brake servo pipe and 3rd brake light replaced under warranty.

Car was meant to be in for the day but that dragged out to a 2nd day and them wanting it for a 3rd but as I needed it back I told them to get it sorted.

Pulled up at 6pm to see it sat with the bonnet only latched on one side, due to this and previous bad service I insisted on inspecting the work. The bimbo who was dealing with me decided to argue black is blue and tell me of course the bonnet will be shut so I take her outside to show her otherwise.

Straight away I notice the clamp is now a jubilee clip so I complain that the incorrect part is fitted and get told they can't do anything until Monday. I explain I'm going nowhere and she had better find someone to deal with it. After watching her stood in a glass office waving her arms about the service manager comes out so I show him, he takes the car away and 45 minutes later he tells me it is done. 

I go for a look and see the dirty fingerprints around the brake light and can't tell if it's been swapped or not and due to being pissed off already I go back in and ask to see the old brake light. He mutters and heads off to fetch it.

When he shows it me I say it's obviously the old one due to the fact they have ripped the fucker clean out breaking the clips on both sides meaning I now have to go to the car and remove the spoiler to check they have not damaged anything. Luckily for them they don't appear to have done but needless to say a massive complaints incoming.

Besides that the brake servo pipe wasn't clipped in, the bonnet switch wiring was not put back properly so the rubber seal wasn't put back and to top the fucking lot off the strut bar wasn't tightened down.

Sytner Nottingham are useless!

Edited by GoNz0

And I thought my local KwikFit was bad :cry:.

Oh yea, ISTA-D software on my K+DCAN cable works a treat, thanks.
Haven't done much with it yet. No red modules, mostly minor transient/irrelevant noise, caused during maintenance work or legacy issues I've had for years that I am prepared to live with. I should clear the history down as I only have 3 permanent/current mileage codes. The NOX code probably isn't worth my while chasing on a 12 year old motor (error since I had the car). More digging for info required... one day, when the sun isn't out B).

image.png.e8a32674fa39a8230435a4e174c216dc.png

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's and details

This was me keeping the language down due to my lad being on the yard but I decided to get the video running before I checked the bolts as I knew they would be wrong.

Never expected this!

Edited by GoNz0

lol Good vid, yeah pretty basic stuff you'd think.

Could you hear it creaking a bit or was tha loose enough to rattle?

8 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

lol Good vid, yeah pretty basic stuff you'd think.

Could you hear it creaking a bit or was tha loose enough to rattle?

Sounded like I had a mouse playing drums with a pair of screwdrivers on the bulkhead. I knew straight away what it was.

1 hour ago, GoNz0 said:

Sounded like I had a mouse playing drums with a pair of screwdrivers on the bulkhead. I knew straight away what it was.

:(

It would be good to know what their response to your video is. Presumably you will share it with them?

It would be good to know what their response to your video is. Presumably you will share it with them?
Taking the laptop in the morning, volume will be up full m8!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, GoNz0 said:

Taking the laptop in the morning, volume will be up full m8!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Unless they go into full grovel mode I would be reminding them of Face Book and Instagram.

9 minutes ago, Keith_H said:

Unless they go into full grovel mode I would be reminding them of Face Book and Instagram.

And failing against the consumers rights act 2015 etc supplying an item that wasn't in an acceptable condition for use.

I used that against a bodyshop and they Sh!tted broken glass and got me sorted pronto.

That is pathetic! 

I hate the way they also try and make you feel bad for doubting them, yet time and time again they balls everything they do up. 

13 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Was the crows foot spanner up to the job then?

I had to hacksaw thru the balljoints on the lower arms after the nylon nuts locked themselves solid on the rusted threads. Not surprised you used a grinder!

DSCN0097.jpg

The crows foot spanner did the job well, although the nut to the rack wasn’t extremely tight, I reckon it would have given way with a set of large grips but the crows foot spanner saved me sore hands in that regard. 

Exactly the same thing happened to me - the nylock collar on the old nuts decided to lock up on the rusty threads and wouldn’t budge. Oddly enough it was worse on the offside when it’s usually the near side that puts up the biggest fight, that was relatively easy. 

I had the arms disconnected from the subframe and had to cut through the track rod to get the hub off the car as the nuts on all three ball joints seized up. I’ve bought myself a set of nut splitters now though ;) 

11 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

This was me keeping the language down due to my lad being on the yard but I decided to get the video running before I checked the bolts as I knew they would be wrong.

Never expected this!

Yikes man, that’s poor! It’s things like this that makes me reluctant to let a garage do work I know I can do myself.