Jump to content
Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Recommended Posts

Decided it was time to retire the filament number plate lights and retrofit some from the E90 as they are direct fit with an adapter cable. They also light up the number plate and not 6 feet of road behind you. Coded out hot and cold checks rather than fit a resistor.

 

Also coded in the 3rd brake light to flash with Brake force display level 1 as the default coding is just to light up the fogs when you slam on.

20190327_124508.jpg

20190327_131328.jpg

20190327_133158.jpg

20190327_140158.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ticking off a few more niggles on the list. Replaced the front under panel screws and clips, on the main panel covering the gearbox I replaced most of the clips and plastic inserts as they no longer tightened properly, that was fun removing them without popping them into the chassis to rattle about forever more. you have to chop off the bottom, put a screw in and rip them out but at least it's all done.

 

Today saw new ATE slider and slider mounts fitted on all 4 calipers (the same as BMW fit, no roundel on the originals either so I saved 60% going to Autodoc)

I used ATE fitting paste and ATE plastilube on the back of the pads and contact points as I had poor results with ceramic paste as it dried out due to the high solids content, seems it's ok for fitting turbo bolts and pad backing but when I used some to fit new slider rubbers into the calipers it dried up and clumped up causing the sliders to bind so it was all redone with new parts by the book ready for the drive up to see Wakey this weekend.

 

Just to add the slider themselves are meant to be dry. ATE and BMW state this so I have made sure they have no lube left in from fitting.

 

Edited by GoNz0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Ticking off a few more niggles on the list. Replaced the front under panel screws and clips, on the main panel covering the gearbox I replaced most of the clips and plastic inserts as they no longer tightened properly, that was fun removing them without popping them into the chassis to rattle about forever more. you have to chop off the bottom, put a screw in and rip them out but at least it's all done.

 

Today saw new ATE slider and slider mounts fitted on all 4 calipers (the same as BMW fit, no roundel on the originals either so I saved 60% going to Autodoc)

I used ATE fitting paste and ATE plastilube on the back of the pads and contact points as I had poor results with ceramic paste as it dried out due to the high solids content, seems it's ok for fitting turbo bolts and pad backing but when I used some to fit new slider rubbers into the calipers it dried up and clumped up causing the sliders to bind so it was all redone with new parts by the book ready for the drive up to see Wakey this weekend.

 

Just to add the slider themselves are meant to be dry. ATE and BMW state this so I have made sure they have no lube left in from fitting.

 

 

Calliper slide pins?  I always use Silicone grease for those despite what BMW say.  Never use copper grease as it will also dry and seize your calliper. 

Edited by Deviant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Deviant said:

 

Calliper slide pins?  I always use Silicone grease for those despite what BMW say.  Never use copper grease as it will also dry and seize your calliper. 

In all the years owing the E36 I never had a problem sticking with dry pins, I can see what with them being exposed that they could in theory gunk up. My R55 Mini has  a sealed setup that has silicon grease in and they are very very loose compared to E60/E36 sliders even when you grease them (I greased mine to get me through the wait from realising something was wrong to getting the new ones)

 

I did however spray WD40 dry PTFE lube on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

In all the years owing the E36 I never had a problem sticking with dry pins, I can see what with them being exposed that they could in theory gunk up. My R55 Mini has  a sealed setup that has silicon grease in and they are very very loose compared to E60/E36 sliders even when you grease them (I greased mine to get me through the wait from realising something was wrong to getting the new ones)

 

I did however spray WD40 dry PTFE lube on them.

 

IMO they need something on them to stop them rusting. My E46 had greased pins and still had corrosion on them. It's how you do things I guess. A floating calliper with silicone greased slide pins feels right to me. I'd like to have brake hardware between the pad and bracket, that's supposed to be dry too. 

the calliper and bracket being aluminium won't rust, but you get corrosion of sorts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the tailgate glass switch. What a pain in the ass. Started with a seized wiper arm bolt and went down hill from there. Managed to get the arm bolt freed but the old switch had an alloy ring round the wiper shaft that had grown into the wiper shaft. Ended up drilling through the ring then cutting the plastic off round the ring to get grips on it.

Looks like bmw realised that this was a problem as the new one is all plastic.

Upshot is that I now have a working tailgate window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2019 at 22:19, Deviant said:

 

IMO they need something on them to stop them rusting. My E46 had greased pins and still had corrosion on them. It's how you do things I guess. A floating calliper with silicone greased slide pins feels right to me. I'd like to have brake hardware between the pad and bracket, that's supposed to be dry too. 

the calliper and bracket being aluminium won't rust, but you get corrosion of sorts. 

Rust? I have never had a slider rust m8, back from the E36 to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My E46, E60 and a Corsa I did today all had a little corrosion on the slide pins.   I mean pitting/corrosion, not rust as such... They all needed cleaning up with a wire brush or wire wheel.

Edited by Deviant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the ol' girl and the wife, not the same thing to Hereford this weekend to visit some family.

Just under half a tank for about 340 miles, kept it in the speed limit most of the time, bloody cameras everywhere, except for a mini blatt up a steep dual carriageway hill near Birdlip on the way back, i had to get in front of the tractor-trailer which i could see up ahead as it went back to single carriageway..

 

That's about it for another year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was Saturday, but near enough - Fitted the new rear suspension air compressor which has been sitting on the bench for a week, along with another new relay. Hopefully this will be the end of my issues, it is lovely and quiet now. 

 

Compressor was less than £150 from ebay so a lot less than last time (£240ish?) and way less than the BMW / EuroCarParts price of £999!

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not my 535d but Saturday was spent swapping the DPF out, new Bosch glow plugs (QR codes checked on the sealed boxes)

EGR blank and adjusting the drivers wiper arm that annoyed me as it was 15mm low causing it to catch the bonnet.

Edited by GoNz0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found an ad for some MV2's with nearly new tyres on for £300, a couple of messages later and I was at the guys workshop, he said they were new wheels are well about a year ago but it looks more like the guy who owned it did an exchange for some refurbs. They are all the same part number, 2 from 2008, 1 2007 and a 2008 BBS one that's got different casting marks on the back, 3 marked 13 and 1 marked 1 on the front.

 

Happy enough as I now have standard Pirelli Nero GT's instead of the run flat Michelins and the ride is a hell of a lot smoother. Handling characteristics have changed somewhat and I will no doubt be used to it soon enough.

 

They will end up as my winter rims provided nothing is up with my MV2's when I refurb them.

You can tell the side wall is softer as turn in isn't as direct.

 

XPEMG-onSSxeAU20V2ETGU6X1SiVGcGYntFyzcAhOBpKQ0p_xErxtTVWlRk3KRp9VUZ0PfNCPwtKHGR6J6M1FlEZJyJhjpl97LJAbE1RHQTWOU4wwsh22ImRig-_SQdHyIjRLZ1qnztjamfU74l97KUukqRziJQWhLFV_hhdGEzCqrCPtOCiz3jX5Wto4Aavz5uS01th1L1LuEXPhLmqChQTzL8O6xQ_aGhb75T7lJT-sYJHS1fFR9cg5pTb25qP-PFSN5-UFe-mGs8wyMOpbXvbh2vZAW2nLmhODyHUXSxXWiomB8VB3mUUi6xf9mBWTgHeBbx1KRGeskf8OOgfzX0Rz339Ny0zF6oWh2wdLrNi0qkaoEQESUlH6iSQ_5pPXu0JhXE_BSIvD2nURxvqg7KsB8rDtm4BcdQnvhzwwb6-_Tryxu4sU1zxHJrNtxpFYHjOmc_FnqLKHiYAAoclVGevX-mUipoQ-qXtTHnvoIEntau30T3Jh63osd2Z2VtjdlPbqBt-pwTya4nnAJQun4wrgQVOJYg95Mjf6WcFmZ6AjNCf9F6gQTQ8xV1Th9SdA_V-qxpGtWSJ0iTspIAUPB-h9rXKHt4Gnf_rzfCdOq8gekiaFu7tDhBwwnjj97DVNUtw-B39i5bDdM2O0Mq-IPMzEdjT95Hq=w1062-h1884-no683kT0T0r00pJ6V_kslIQmF-zdF3KJVlZZnuKvglF_IirH7f8rtHHjvE3zOCjmg3MrrsJt4yS9dXuv-SnybkXK83iXgAPE_SiH6PzZVnv3c2OpxRV5r81I4EetSOeSuFZvbJWXCnscFIGa6r3DGyvEiAvmcDOZN3-iAzUAgZ1W151FiqUYnz0xjAd6CymV7lXf2HQI444_GwCmaRuNrTknACcqUMT10ZkZDOm5kap7S5pFllXmPlGBRsaAykmJdio7Tf1QIFbMDNve99Fysfdjf_3BpjI8z32iGyWE1QC5N-HYGynCXayz3O-8mnnSTSXEvsQiisHqeMKamgGAS1k3JDhmTd7T5kzMH4F0H3jAdBC84NKr2Lq5Pc3Ii1-qStZaHHviaI3BzyJRb9bl4v33nkWtM5NZvFnLlZFKzZ8TCAosRbWAtLX_CTbqKqprUlos0arOTwVRM9_HKnubZ7fg6vwLtn2LPKdLIhvBSlRpnHVh5wMX-8ljIkW4ZwexaqxwHX9zFFVkiEv9Qie7jUvpYgTROVJxqwk2Jvu4hTCm99VweYdQjbROiSu2HZKZ-onOJo7Y6fgty9Cx7oeNyRt_--SfXRfVYV8gK-FVCeMsb7oiZS5R1S9LjkFG3_32-ksZh5PnIUfOAswaqH_S7xsFu_VMes32Qi=w1062-h1884-nor0lscsiUcmsV_EFYYm2GBmWFHWi9HcW3x4R_GTNPrfwbAy6PFAyLcoPTsnZRF6AxGrAu_mOu4CKT0p0rhKqQqX3o1wwy_eUtivBWwaKi1hUIpCQd6f6JXqBUERAednuXVjwk9UXm0o3EMnpqa6eiw_BzzeKNYwopRcP2qDLVtC10_p4tAwcnPzMgYnFnE4_6Djhq_XierisO1B8GZvQ776BYhOMpVDThjA0ZnbW1Gm9SMVYmZMJLBwrJHilAcTtvUzvWP1yTgwMgD-iZNJKD5qPtu0KgVE55CJGNDvCgPAFwWJQkmxmb_OVHB4IjiIU4qNgY-PsHpWWgklhzhMqBht-9KKoGA41WPhrOCQ0_XC63zSuheHciY5c5YjPinXdD4fec9vmqi-wZtM5-B5SezGvKPq8V9QBtssEHCvyYPEYEw_vthaz518jEdfeKKBYia4bSoeDBiIGN4FU7cqOxGBe0WNR7JH8tb_0DpmysLKQxulJ9bkuCLAmIb70GksHDETQhsj7F0uPIMVRA1E_WkcnNerL8bheYAELzXKIUJeO3rW9RVDkfLstQbT_FIVZZBOBq3BBg_N4ojZNmYcNncMThodRHXTVOKTTsNm9SLdhilkBwPOjFecjsRDusSEuQP72OlJIJhT7yfUOVr_SUHrC4OcX0tNGt=w3350-h1884-no

Edited by GoNz0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Found an ad for some MV2's with nearly new tyres on for £300, a couple of messages later and I was at the guys workshop, he said they were new wheels are well about a year ago but it looks more like the guy who owned it did an exchange for some refurbs. They are all the same part number, 2 from 2008, 1 2007 and a 2008 BBS one that's got different casting marks on the back, 3 marked 13 and 1 marked 1 on the front.

 

Happy enough as I now have standard Pirelli Nero GT's instead of the run flat Michelins and the ride is a hell of a lot smoother. Handling characteristics have changed somewhat and I will no doubt be used to it soon enough.

 

They will end up as my winter rims provided nothing is up with my MV2's when I refurb them.

You can tell the side wall is softer as turn in isn't as direct.

 

XPEMG-onSSxeAU20V2ETGU6X1SiVGcGYntFyzcAhOBpKQ0p_xErxtTVWlRk3KRp9VUZ0PfNCPwtKHGR6J6M1FlEZJyJhjpl97LJAbE1RHQTWOU4wwsh22ImRig-_SQdHyIjRLZ1qnztjamfU74l97KUukqRziJQWhLFV_hhdGEzCqrCPtOCiz3jX5Wto4Aavz5uS01th1L1LuEXPhLmqChQTzL8O6xQ_aGhb75T7lJT-sYJHS1fFR9cg5pTb25qP-PFSN5-UFe-mGs8wyMOpbXvbh2vZAW2nLmhODyHUXSxXWiomB8VB3mUUi6xf9mBWTgHeBbx1KRGeskf8OOgfzX0Rz339Ny0zF6oWh2wdLrNi0qkaoEQESUlH6iSQ_5pPXu0JhXE_BSIvD2nURxvqg7KsB8rDtm4BcdQnvhzwwb6-_Tryxu4sU1zxHJrNtxpFYHjOmc_FnqLKHiYAAoclVGevX-mUipoQ-qXtTHnvoIEntau30T3Jh63osd2Z2VtjdlPbqBt-pwTya4nnAJQun4wrgQVOJYg95Mjf6WcFmZ6AjNCf9F6gQTQ8xV1Th9SdA_V-qxpGtWSJ0iTspIAUPB-h9rXKHt4Gnf_rzfCdOq8gekiaFu7tDhBwwnjj97DVNUtw-B39i5bDdM2O0Mq-IPMzEdjT95Hq=w1062-h1884-no683kT0T0r00pJ6V_kslIQmF-zdF3KJVlZZnuKvglF_IirH7f8rtHHjvE3zOCjmg3MrrsJt4yS9dXuv-SnybkXK83iXgAPE_SiH6PzZVnv3c2OpxRV5r81I4EetSOeSuFZvbJWXCnscFIGa6r3DGyvEiAvmcDOZN3-iAzUAgZ1W151FiqUYnz0xjAd6CymV7lXf2HQI444_GwCmaRuNrTknACcqUMT10ZkZDOm5kap7S5pFllXmPlGBRsaAykmJdio7Tf1QIFbMDNve99Fysfdjf_3BpjI8z32iGyWE1QC5N-HYGynCXayz3O-8mnnSTSXEvsQiisHqeMKamgGAS1k3JDhmTd7T5kzMH4F0H3jAdBC84NKr2Lq5Pc3Ii1-qStZaHHviaI3BzyJRb9bl4v33nkWtM5NZvFnLlZFKzZ8TCAosRbWAtLX_CTbqKqprUlos0arOTwVRM9_HKnubZ7fg6vwLtn2LPKdLIhvBSlRpnHVh5wMX-8ljIkW4ZwexaqxwHX9zFFVkiEv9Qie7jUvpYgTROVJxqwk2Jvu4hTCm99VweYdQjbROiSu2HZKZ-onOJo7Y6fgty9Cx7oeNyRt_--SfXRfVYV8gK-FVCeMsb7oiZS5R1S9LjkFG3_32-ksZh5PnIUfOAswaqH_S7xsFu_VMes32Qi=w1062-h1884-nor0lscsiUcmsV_EFYYm2GBmWFHWi9HcW3x4R_GTNPrfwbAy6PFAyLcoPTsnZRF6AxGrAu_mOu4CKT0p0rhKqQqX3o1wwy_eUtivBWwaKi1hUIpCQd6f6JXqBUERAednuXVjwk9UXm0o3EMnpqa6eiw_BzzeKNYwopRcP2qDLVtC10_p4tAwcnPzMgYnFnE4_6Djhq_XierisO1B8GZvQ776BYhOMpVDThjA0ZnbW1Gm9SMVYmZMJLBwrJHilAcTtvUzvWP1yTgwMgD-iZNJKD5qPtu0KgVE55CJGNDvCgPAFwWJQkmxmb_OVHB4IjiIU4qNgY-PsHpWWgklhzhMqBht-9KKoGA41WPhrOCQ0_XC63zSuheHciY5c5YjPinXdD4fec9vmqi-wZtM5-B5SezGvKPq8V9QBtssEHCvyYPEYEw_vthaz518jEdfeKKBYia4bSoeDBiIGN4FU7cqOxGBe0WNR7JH8tb_0DpmysLKQxulJ9bkuCLAmIb70GksHDETQhsj7F0uPIMVRA1E_WkcnNerL8bheYAELzXKIUJeO3rW9RVDkfLstQbT_FIVZZBOBq3BBg_N4ojZNmYcNncMThodRHXTVOKTTsNm9SLdhilkBwPOjFecjsRDusSEuQP72OlJIJhT7yfUOVr_SUHrC4OcX0tNGt=w3350-h1884-no

Nice! I love my se alloys...<_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That might be because you've only got 3 wheels on your wagon...
Oh yeah....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed the rocker cover gasket. Took longer than I’d hoped but hopefully that  will keep more oil in the engine than round it.

Edited by RandomName
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Changed the rocker cover gasket. Took longer than I’d hoped but hopefully that  will keep more oil in the engine than round it.
I would rather do my sump again than tackle the rocker!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GoNz0 I knew when I bought the gasket and it looked like something you’d put on a lorry engine that it was never going to be straight forward.

My only concern at the min is that the wiring harnesses that runs between the engine and bulkhead came out of its path while I was working but I couldn’t see any obvious holder to pout it back into. It didn’t take much effort for it to come out so can only assume it was not clipped in to start with. It and the cables from the lambda sensors are running along the back of the head following the rough path that I believe they came out of. As far as I could see they are not resting on the head or crossing any sharp edges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked the spare wheel well (if it can be called that without a spare wheel) for water. All dry and no sign that there ever had been water in it. Decided to move the modules out of there anyway 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×