Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Changed gearbox oil

Replaced under engine trays both mid and front sections as my old ones are somewhere on the M5

Cleaned the K&M Airfilter - What a B*#@h to get out

Replaced Mass Air flow meter - Even bigger B8#@h

Also been running DPFcleaner additive which has vastly improved  the performance, now I'm reaching speeds of 120mph  ..oops I meant 70mph than the usual sluggish flat out speed of 80 mph at 3500rpm

But still whilst pulling away I have to give her extra throttle and she is still lethargic whilst moving from a stand still...why?

Edited by Chubby56

On 21/02/2019 at 22:20, Chubby56 said:

Changed gearbox oil

Also been running DPFcleaner additive which has vastly improved  the performance, now I'm reaching speeds of 120mph  ..oops I meant 70mph than the usual sluggish flat out speed of 80 mph at 3500rpm

But still whilst pulling away I have to give her extra throttle and she is still lethargic whilst moving from a stand still...why?

Did you reset the adaptations after gearbox oil change and cleared all the faults of you had any? I assume you have 530d or something else with 6hpxx gearbox. Do you normally floor it with D  or DS?

Edited by Biotoxic

Re-relocated the pins for the parking lights/Coronas back to original pin locations at A12 and now they are working fine. PT-can added to LM2. SMC II will needed to be ordered as the current one is faulty at the left headlight.

Relocated few wires at the trunk so it looks better now.

Re-wired the the amplifiers to a one positive and negative point. No  more generator whine while the engine is on, whoop whoop.

530d touring 6sp manual. Remap and egr coded out as I have a bypass. 

No intention of removing the dpf so map was done accordingly. 

First impressions are very good.

Third gear is where you really feel it. It just pulls earlier and harder. All round improvements can be felt so I'm very, happy.

Last week I attacked the right hand boot strut...

Prior to this, every now and then, on opening the boot there would sometimes be a very loud bang, something on the right strut would slide into position making the noise. I never saw what moved, it happened as the tailgate was rising.

More recently I found that the plastic shroud covering the rhs piston would not move, a bit of a twist and it would shoot off to the end of the piston - this was the source of the bang!

I gave it all a clean with some parts cleaner and sprayed whatever lube I found in the garage, wd40 or spray grease or a mix. This didn't really help! Bugger. The plastic bits seemed to have swollen and stuck together, requiring a good twist to move them.

I'm sure the tailgate was a bit slow opening, as the plastic was'nt allowing the spring to help.

So, last week I took it off. I fitted the boot strut under a vice (with soft jaws, but not closed tight) and used a car jack to compress the outer plastic sleeve, the piston popped up out of the top of the vice. With plenty sticking up I tightened the vice, clamping the piston and undid the ball joint end, then gently let the jack down until the spring was uncompressed. I could then remove the parts. 

20190211_215409.thumb.jpg.8d6697e03bf5e01ccb710f106bcd3d37.jpg

As you can see, there's two springs and the sleeve. There's also a plastic section attached to the strut's main body. In order to get the sleeve to slide freely, I filed the body plastic section down slimmer. Didn't take much but I got it to slide nicely. 

Then, cleaned and regreased the springs but I used rubber grease on the plastic parts where they slid against each other. 

Back to the vice to compress it all again and screwed the ball joint end on (with some threadlock). Greased balljoints and fitted it back on to the car. 

No more surprising bangs and I'm sure the tailgate rises quicker, with less strain on the pump as well. 

A nice result without forking out £70 or £80 for a new strut :)

Not my E60 but a very very nice 10 plate 535d, I took a trip to Warrington to replace both stats, fit the gearbox stat mod as that was faulty. Replaced all the vac lines with Cohline 2122 as it is one of the best quality OEM spec vac lines (not a fan of silicon) followed by all 6 glow plugs and controller. To finish, new inlet manifold seals and put it all back together. Son of a bitch blew 2 of the new glow plugs so I had to strip it down again and put 2 of the old working ones back in :blink:

Went out for a very short trip as it came up to 88 in a few miles compared to the previous low 70's giving it some down the motorway.

Happy customer :)

(Also a very smart M3 that sounded beautiful when it fired up)

52924247_2213943695351904_5359455862068871168_o.jpg

Had to replace 2 front tyres after i noticed a large carbuncle on the side wall caused by a pothole. The tyres (Avons) were near the limit and the side walls were cracking because i hardly do any miles.
Thing is the price of tyres has gone down before Hankooks were £150 each. now they are £115. Although I got them to put on some £70 each tyres (Can't remember the make)which are A rated and just coming back from a 400 mile round trip they grip brilliantly and are quiet, with no tram lining which i had with the Avon's, So I'll get a set to replace the Hankook's on the rear which are close to the limit

Took the EGR valve out for cleaning/inspection purposes. Two surprises:

1: How clean it was inside!! There was more dirt and grime on the outside than the inside. A quick wipe of the inside was all it needed to remove the light covering of soot.

2: How stiff the valve spring is. I know it has exhaust pressure to help open it, but makes me curious about how the pressure converter works.

A "before" pic would have been better than this "after" one :oops:

Untitlede.thumb.jpg.60aeb5ec41f538b85dcbbb26ceda11ab.jpg

14 hours ago, Blobby said:

Had to replace 2 front tyres after i noticed a large carbuncle on the side wall caused by a pothole. The tyres (Avons) were near the limit and the side walls were cracking because i hardly do any miles.
Thing is the price of tyres has gone down before Hankooks were £150 each. now they are £115. Although I got them to put on some £70 each tyres (Can't remember the make)which are A rated and just coming back from a 400 mile round trip they grip brilliantly and are quiet, with no tram lining which i had with the Avon's, So I'll get a set to replace the Hankook's on the rear which are close to the limit

Hi Mr B,

Love to know which tyres you went for.

What size did you go too?

I'm up for some soon to put on MV2's. My wife has just fitted 4 Avon ZZ5's on here car and she loves them after some awful Bridgstones.

Best RgdS Paj

Just received my exhaust manifold kit by courier due to mine having the usual cracks. 

£50 all in for a cast manifold, nuts, bolt inserts, gaskets and bolts and gasket for the turbo. Impressed for the money. 

I just have the fun part of fitting it. 

Early next week hopefully. 

I have a new air filter and will clean the o2 sensor while I'm there. 

Fun times.. 

Ordered new boot struts as mine are early dead, also ordered some Millers Diesel treatment.

The plan was to give it a clean, but the weather had other ideas.  

Changed the exhaust manifold today. 

We did it without removing the cam cover, injectors etc.. 

It was an arsehole of a job and not one I expect to be doing again with the cast one fitted. 

New air filter and took it out for a run. Let it do a regen on the motorway and all is good. 

It picks up better from low rpm now it's not leaking exhaust gasses from the cracks. 

One big one from the flange to the top which forked into two and one smaller one. 

Ignore the oil on the pic. We used a lot of penetrating oil before we attacked the nuts and my hands were filthy by then. 

IMG_20190304_190548_zpsmq7iieod.jpg

Edited by Syemondo
Typo

On 03/03/2019 at 16:45, dj1233 said:

Ordered new boot struts as mine are early dead, also ordered some Millers Diesel treatment.

The plan was to give it a clean, but the weather had other ideas.  

Boot struts were wrong (not enough pressure) so they've been returned and new ones ordered.

Millers treatment started.

Corona bulb blew, forgot how much of a PITA they are to change. Ordered LED replacements instead. A job for the weekend. 

Same here, MOT with no advisories on this 11.5 year old motor, after I dumped 700 notes to a local indy garage for preventative/usual maintenance last year.

Edit: That's 2 good years of E61 ownership, although the odds are against me, I'm looking for another 5....:blink:

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's and details

finally replaced my blown Angel eye bulb. Bulb arrived, managed to separate the bulb holder & reflector. Then the joy of refitting it, what were Hella thinking when they made these lights. 

Took my Textar pads off with less than 5k on them and replaced with ATE Ceramics to stop the pad squeal.

Found that the ceramic grease I used to push the rubber carriers for the sliders back in had dried out and gone hard causing lumps, this means that one slider was hard to get out and 2 more were not that free. I used ATE brake grease but will be replacing the mounts and cleaning out the holes a bit better when the new parts arrive.