Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Topped up my power steering fluid (leaking slowly from somewhere, has been for a while, but thats a job for its MOT next month!!) 

I used the reccomended Pentosin stuff this time rather than halfords own brand ans noticed it significantly thinner in consistency, just hope it doesnt mean it starts pissing out from whatever is leaking faster! :huh:

Forgot to disconnect amplifiers last night, AGM battery was drained to 6.8V.. put it on deep cycle charge. fitted my old 100Ah Sulfuric acid battery and coded it to the car. Learned how to mess up the modules and recover them, also learned that E60 doesn't like any add-ons installed, like Dension module from the ISTAP side of view .... Tried to do a Complete car coding.. part successful..  busy busy...

5 hours ago, Biotoxic said:

Forgot to disconnect amplifiers last night, AGM battery was drained to 6.8V.. put it on deep cycle charge. fitted my old 100Ah Sulfuric acid battery and coded it to the car. Learned how to mess up the modules and recover them, also learned that E60 doesn't like any add-ons installed, like Dension module from the ISTAP side of view .... Tried to do a Complete car coding.. part successful..  busy busy...

Ouch. What's the voltage for a proper fucked wet cell battery? 10.5 volts?  Hopefully, your charger does the impossible and the AGM lives to see another day. Good luck with that. 

Edited by Deviant

Just cleaned my son's e46 and my newly purchased e60 (525d) whilst the Turkey was in the oven....

Glad to be back in the 5 series club again. I've been away with a Mini Cooper.

RgdS Paj

20181224_152423.jpg

20181224_152355.jpg

Edited by Paj
Typo

Fitted LED fog lights to complete the LED look up front. Discovered I need a new O/S front fog lamp holder.  Fixed the heat shield back up with new fixings, Sprayed the diff and fixings with some rust protection oil, the car is mint underneath, everything is aluminium. Sorted the tint on the N/S rear door that was looking awful since I had the car. Fitted a new trim to the driver's door pull, the original was dented. Discovered play on the N/S tie rod end ball joint and the tyres are wearing close to the legal limit. Exhaust plate was exchanged for a non-rusty aluminium one. 

Edited by Deviant

Went to go top up my power steering fluid again and the leak seems to have stopped!!  I did use reccomended pentosin instead of generic CHF11 last top up and Im not sure if the pentosin has conditioner in it which has revived a leaky seal somewhere like a leak stop does possibly??  In any case its in for its MOT next week so going to get them to have a look and see what they find!

20 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

At first glance, I was like "so where's your car?" LOL :blink:.

without the door handles it would be hard to spot! 

Fitted a new MAF yesterday. I'm thinking the car could be giving better mileage, so starting with this. Car feels no different. I did not reset the engine adaptations, I reckon it should adapt to 'better' results pretty quickly. Those whom have reset them had a few panicks whilst everything was re-learnt. I might reset them at a later stage, I might give the injectors an overhaul and following this, resetting adaptations might be beneficial.

Today, I fitted a new heater blower fan motor. Only removed the centre console and the middle bits. 

20190105_182124.thumb.jpg.4e862f977f6f96675770fda768299654.jpg

Deep in the dash....

20190105_182153.thumb.jpg.61cec3183c158804c394e1a087ad63a0.jpg

Noise had become unbearable and it was distracting me but I wasn't 100% sure it was the blower fan, I was thinking it could have been one of the nine or so stepper motors dotted around the heater unit but had no way of properly finding out. Decided I'd start with the blower on the premise that it has turned a lot of times over the years and is a good place to start. I had thought of sticking in a 2nd hand unit but checked ECP and CP4L, got a brand new Hella (so Behr, so oem) unit for £75 from CP4L, they had a 18% off code recently, couldn't refuse it at that price .

So, finally, blower doesn't groan and moan as I go along, just nice and quiet - result. Car is a nice place to be in now :) .

After sorting one fan I was off changing another! The radiator fan unit had fallen over months ago and cracked the plastic frame. I got a 2nd hand replacement fan and it was fitted, seems to work fine and no more cuts to my arm whilst working at the front of the engine :) .

Carried out an oil, oil filter & air filter service. I forgot how much of a pain the air box is on this engine. 

Edited by dj1233

Re-retrofitted(yeah that's right) the $609 option (pre-LCI CCC) had a go at the CAPPL module after I changed the build date...... Anybody with pre-lci with LM1 can confirm that if you change the build date from #0305 to #0307 can get the visual flashes and audio confirmation when locking/unlocking the vehicle?  I thought its just a LM2 option, but obviously not.. or.. its a glitch in a matrtix... lol

I get audio confirmation when locking unlocking, pre-LCI CCC, but that was coded for me by a helpful person on this forum. No need to change build date or anything like that. But I find it awful, I wouldn't do it again, if I see him again I'd like it silenced, back to how it was. Awful in that it is very loud, not just a little chirp but a proper loud beep and double-beep.

Edited by Tuvoc

17 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I get audio confirmation when locking unlocking, pre-LCI CCC, but that was coded for me by a helpful person on this forum. No need to change build date or anything like that. But I find it awful, I wouldn't do it again, if I see him again I'd like it silenced, back to how it was. Awful in that it is very loud, not just a little chirp but a proper loud beep and double-beep.

I think Carly can do it if you know someone. Mine is a single chirp on lock only. 

Edited by Deviant

1 hour ago, Deviant said:

I think Carly can do it if you know someone. Mine is a single chirp on lock only. 

That makes more sense, on lock only.  Don't know anyone with Carly, it was done for me originally via a laptop.

Edited by Tuvoc

MOT this evening.  Passed with flying colours, no advisories or minors!! Not bad for a motor about to hit 160k miles!

Edited by Modge

Dropped the sub frame and replaced the sump gasket today, Monday I got the car ready to do the job, all 4 corners off the ground and panels removed. Managed to get the subframe bolted back up before the kids finished school. It's taking ages as I am not well but don't want to put it off any longer!

20190109_103703.jpg

HIDs fitted now the MOT is over and done with! Got to say they dont look massivley brighter than the halogens or LEDs I have used previously.  Admittedly it was daytime so cant say for certain, will have another look in a few hours once its dark!

Edited by Modge

1 hour ago, Modge said:

HIDs fitted now the MOT is over and done with! Got to say they dont look massivley brighter than the halogens or LEDs I have used previously.  Admittedly it was daytime so cant say for certain, will have another look in a few hours once its dark!

It would have made zero difference even if you’d fitted them before the MOT. Anyway wait till night time and you’ll see the light !! :) 

1 hour ago, andy-e60 said:

It would have made zero difference even if you’d fitted them before the MOT. Anyway wait till night time and you’ll see the light !! :) 

I know its most likely not going to make a difference at the MOT, but im just a bit wary after reading so many conflicting things. Just wanted to take away any doubts!