Jump to content
Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Recommended Posts

Been a few months since I've done anything to the car, fitted a new gear cog to the thigh support on my driver seat,has been broken for months, also got my steering module coded in as it failed in June, traction and abs warnings since and non cancelling indicators , nice to finally have it sorted, has been a bit tail happy in the wet recently , oil filters and new wiper bladed fitted after work on Friday too, new brake disc screws now make removing the front wheels a bit easier 

 

 

Oh and looking at an rs6 today too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Changed the gearbox oil and other bits, reset the oil change paremeters and reset learned adaptation values. Technical guide will be available tomorrow.  Went better than expected. 

IMG-20181127-WA0009.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally finished my OEM trailer module install, the Westfalia has it's issues like needing a fog light or it will throw a bulb out warning. I had to make my own short harness from the module to the tow bar wiring from scratch, everything done by the book!

Only involved one trip to the minor injuries dept' after cutting through a vein in my finger :oops:

20181204_125829.jpg

20181204_125834.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2018 at 13:57, GoNz0 said:

Finally finished my OEM trailer module install, the Westfalia has it's issues like needing a fog light or it will throw a bulb out warning. I had to make my own short harness from the module to the tow bar wiring from scratch, everything done by the book!

Only involved one trip to the minor injuries dept' after cutting through a vein in my finger :oops:

20181204_125829.jpg

 

Just in case you weren't aware of it GonZo.......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of days ago I fitted a 'fresh' DAB module. Mine has it factory fitted but it had never worked correctly, giving an 'antenna short' error.

The original module had signs of being exposed to water, but mot much. I had stripped it down to have a better look and clean it, but it remained faulty. It sometimes picked up a signal but would drop it in no time, not far off what you would expect from an antenna short I'd imagine!

Fresh unit in and it all works great, best I've used in this area; I had an Astra GTC that had dab and it was a bit of a pain, kept on dropping the stations or losing the signal. There might be a stronger signal now but it works great nonetheless and I've been able to clear the code without anything returning :)

 

I might delve deeper into the old unit now to see what was wrong or, I might ask someone who knows about such things to repair it, a spare would be handy! Does anyone know of a good guy who could sort it?

 

Fresh unit is actualy from an e90 but part number is on my car's list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keliuss said:

Just in case you weren't aware of it GonZo.......

 

 

Very aware, I'm planning on fitting a flood sensor hooked up to a buzzer at some stage, it was one of the reasons I wanted an E61 without a sunroof!

It showed signs of a spillage into the relay block as the plugs have light corrosion but seems it never made it any further as the exposed well was like new bar dog hairs. I also opened up the relays and internally they show no signs so either a bottle leaked or the dog had a piss in the boot, I will never know as it was done with one of the previous owners :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ger said:

A couple of days ago I fitted a 'fresh' DAB module. Mine has it factory fitted but it had never worked correctly, giving an 'antenna short' error.

The original module had signs of being exposed to water, but mot much. I had stripped it down to have a better look and clean it, but it remained faulty. It sometimes picked up a signal but would drop it in no time, not far off what you would expect from an antenna short I'd imagine!

Fresh unit in and it all works great, best I've used in this area; I had an Astra GTC that had dab and it was a bit of a pain, kept on dropping the stations or losing the signal. There might be a stronger signal now but it works great nonetheless and I've been able to clear the code without anything returning :)

 

I might delve deeper into the old unit now to see what was wrong or, I might ask someone who knows about such things to repair it, a spare would be handy! Does anyone know of a good guy who could sort it?

 

Fresh unit is actualy from an e90 but part number is on my car's list.

My trailer module was from a 2014 mini, listed as the current part for mine so a quick code in ISTA-P and all is good. Did you code it in after fitting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

My trailer module was from a 2014 mini, listed as the current part for mine so a quick code in ISTA-P and all is good. Did you code it in after fitting?

No coding at all. I tried it just plugged in to begin with, all worked so I fitted it to the bracket properly. Really simple! CCC is happy and ir all comes up. Not going to disturb it unless I'll need to, but gettingthe chassis number 'corrected' would be nice, if it's in there!

I will want to do some coding to the ccc gateway for the newer controller sometime but win fkp doesn't work for me yet and I haven't installed ista at all yet, I believe that both can update module software but will be a new thing for me! Coding to change settings is pretty easy but this will be fun. 

Can win fkp or ista 'uodate' the chassis number in various modules? It would be nice to have them all the same!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took glovebox out, footwell trim both sides, centre console, dash wood trim, vent control panel, stereo, heating vents and finally fan unit... what a job. Put it all back with replacement unit and works fine. Vent setting seems to be stuck on feet/rear console vents. I have started a thread to hopefully get some ideas! annoying as the main reason for doing it was the car being practically undriveable due to fogged up windscreen. Now I still have a foggy windscreen but at least my feet are warm.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:17, JHR-5 said:

Managed to get into the hidden menu for the first time

 

 

I've never managed it. Can't seem to get the timing right, trying to follow instructions on the phone isn't easy. But I have TorquePro on my Andoid phone, and a cheap OBD2 bluetooth adaptor, so that tells me quite a lot. main thing I wanted to see was engine temp in the absence of a gauge. All was well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hardwire dashcam kit fitted, ran a tap from the front cigar lighter as I don't have the torch circuit but they feed from the same fuse. Nice multiplug fitted so I can hardwire 3 devices, satnav and cam are now hidden as far possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic. There are LEDs on each side of the 'bulb stem' as it were that throw out light. On high beams, you can see everything, I was picking out road signs from at least a quarter of a mile away. 

 

They have made a hell of a difference, the car looks more modern with white lighting and my halos look great too. My commute will be much safer now I can see standing water much easier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sent the old girl for her annual MOT

e61 restraint system fault - can someone please confirm once and for all if this is an MOT failure, cheers Guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I fitted a second replacement MULF. The originsl one was dead when I bought the car, so I bought a 'refurbished' one from eBay last year, which worked for about 6 months but then started failing again (music cuts out, iDrive wheel spinning freely etc.) I got a refund for the refurbished one and gave up for 6 months, just fitted a MOST loop in its place. However this week I stumbled across a very late MULF on eBay, this is the newest one I have seen based on HW/SW versions and production date. It's working so far, will see how long this one lasts!

mulf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×