Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

They never have been unless it meets factory standards, self levelling, headlight wash etc.

I always thought they were provided you had projector lenses? Prior to the new rules that is

3 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

They never have been unless it meets factory standards, self levelling, headlight wash etc.

I thought if they were installed on lci model than they were fine until recently. Anyway, hopefully a friendly MOT tester will take a risk and let it pass when the time comes.

Above is how it has always been. As far as I can tell so far (unless someone can show me any different from the new Mot Manual) the "new mot" is no different for headlights /

hid kits.

1 hour ago, andy-e60 said:

Above is how it has always been. As far as I can tell so far (unless someone can show me any different from the new Mot Manual) the "new mot" is no different for headlights /

hid kits.

Like I said

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

And this is from 2010.

Edited by GoNz0

2 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

VOSA have already commented ((made their viewpoint and interpretation clear)) on this matter well AFTER the May 2010  "Guidance" from the DFT.

IMG_8292.thumb.PNG.f662851f9246baa392314f5333293cd9.PNG

The bottom line (even today) is that just having an aftermarket HID xenon kit in 2018 is NOT a reason to fail the MOT. 

The car WILL fail the MOT if the headlight beam pattern is out of tolerance on the beam pattern analyser with OR without an aftermarket HID xenon kit.

The immense and persistent misunderstandig (confusion) arises from those (general public & misinformed + in need of further training MOT examiners) who misinterpret the headlight washers & auto levelling as being MANDATORY items. These two items are recommended but their absence is absolutely NOT a MOT failure. 

IF headlight washers and auto levelling ARE present - then they both absolutely MUST work. Their absence is NOT an automatic fail. 

The MOT testers do not have to be "friendly" and they certainly aren't doing anyone any favours if they pass cars with excellent beam analyser patterns on cars equipped with Aftermarket HID Xenon kits. 

The beam cut-off on my LCI halogen projector blessed with an aftermarket hid xenon kit is superb and my MOT tester is not friendly and hasn't been since well over five years.

Edited by andy-e60
Typos !

6 hours ago, Vlady said:

I thought if they were installed on lci model than they were fine until recently. Anyway, hopefully a friendly MOT tester will take a risk and let it pass when the time comes.

Vlady your LCI halogen headlights with your Aftermarket HID Xenon kit are still absolutely fine 100%. If your MOT tester passed them last year - the SAME tester should / will pass it now.

The latest (post 20th May 2018) MOT Inspection Manual is no different regarding:

1. Headlight Washers

2. Headlight Self-levelling

They both MUST work IF present / IF fitted. 

Edited by andy-e60

18 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

With my "DPF", need to find a friendly MOT man :D

Had one for years

Load of bollocks isn't it, make a law and don't enforce it ffs. Means more twats in corsas blinding me when the police should be crushing the shitmobiles on site instead :blink:

20 hours ago, 525-Jay said:

With my "DPF", need to find a friendly MOT man :D

Use Archoil AR6400-D MAX and get the twin pack. Initial treatment (25% off Powerenhancher ARCH25) with 40l of fuel. Get the engine to operating temperature and drive under 2500 rpm so the exhaust gases SLOWLY percolate throughout the exhaust system. It will burn off any residual carbon and soot leaving smokeless tail pipe. :)

5 hours ago, Blobby said:

Had one for years

A DPF or friendly MOT man? :D

2 hours ago, jake13 said:

Use Archoil AR6400-D MAX and get the twin pack. Initial treatment (25% off Powerenhancher ARCH25) with 40l of fuel. Get the engine to operating temperature and drive under 2500 rpm so the exhaust gases SLOWLY percolate throughout the exhaust system. It will burn off any residual carbon and soot leaving smokeless tail pipe. :)

Did you have to do this often after the first attempt? I've always been wary that a car would be relying on these products after using them. The description of these things look awesome, reducing rough idling and cleaning out soot etc. Will it benefit cars without a DPF also?

1 hour ago, 525-Jay said:

A DPF or friendly MOT man? :D

Did you have to do this often after the first attempt? I've always been wary that a car would be relying on these products after using them. The description of these things look awesome, reducing rough idling and cleaning out soot etc. Will it benefit cars without a DPF also?

The active ingredient is Polyetheramine (PEA) which is at higher concentration than standard cleaner. I do 95% city driving of stop-start nature (:ph34r:) and it keeps the turbo and dpf clean. I can't comment on cars without dpf, however there is no harm trying.

4 hours ago, MrHooky said:

Notified my Spiders are refurbed in ferric, ceramic coated and ready to go on car. Roll on Thursday...

A9EAB262-B094-4296-83A4-577B9E17531B.jpeg

That's when the paranoia about kerbing them begins... 

Had a four-wheel alignment done on the car. The printout - showing the way OOS figures for rear toe adjustment - may explain why my rear tyres were scrubbed down to the cords on the very inner edge and why the handling was so wayward on some road surfaces.

On 5/18/2018 at 8:35 PM, Grizzle_E60 said:

Had a go in mates Golf R was so underwhelmed by it, numb to drive.

Had a go in a 530d and thought it hugely under powered, heavy and cumbersome. 

EDIT - see what I did there?

Edited by Saint

18 minutes ago, Saint said:

Had a go in a 530d and thought it hugely under powered, heavy and cumbersome. 

EDIT - see what I did there?

Seriously??.... someone has an opinion you dont like so throw your toys out the pram flol.

Dry your eyes fella.

Never mind Grizzle old bean. 

a) I wasn't throwing my toys out of anywhere.

b) I wasn't being serious, hence why I even added the edit.

c) the 5 is a heavy car by comparison and is cumbersome - actually the figures state that there is only about 70-80kg difference, but the way they drive is very different. As for being under powered, that's a matter of opinion. The one thing I do know is that the R is a lot more nimble and a lot quicker than my old 535d. The 4WD does allow it to corner a lot better, but yes, it might be numb. But opinions are like arseholes - everyone has one, etc ec.

Toodle pip, and I hope you enjoy your 530d. (I was going to say I hope you enjoy your hugely under powered, heavy and cumbersome 530d but then it might have been taken in the wrong way).

Over and out. 

Picked up my car yesterday from painters, so far happy with the job! Rear arches and rear bumper are done! 

Fitted a replacement door seal as mine had worn thru causing a bit of wind noise , also did another gearbox service as mine was leaking from the sump,  did my brothers 530i as well which cured a nasty vibration under load whilst driving , 160k and on the original sump and oil, drives like a dream now 

Morning M88rtj, I`m going to do my gearbox oil ad sump shortly however im a bit dubious about doing it on my drive........

How did you manage doing yours?

Cheers

New front pads fitted Tuesday as they were very low, also replaced the rubber slider mounts, plan to do the rears that are like new but mintex pads, I am not keen on budget pads and wonder why the hell they were put on with new genuine discs?

Last night the DPF sensor finally gave a clue it may be that spurring on the regen issues as I logged a 480a just over 1000mb, ISTA states that is a faulty sensor and the readings after were fine.

Picked a sensor up this morning, 10 minute job to fit.

2018-05-24 (1).png

2 minutes ago, jonboy_1 said:

Morning M88rtj, I`m going to do my gearbox oil ad sump shortly however im a bit dubious about doing it on my drive........

Cheers

It can be done but you need the car high enough to work on and dead level.

Thanks GoNz0, the drive is nice and level and ive got osme good axle stands so in theory should be ok. Any useful tips is always useful.

I think as long as the new oil is nice and warm and i get myself a decent hand pump it wil be ok.

Cheers

24 minutes ago, jonboy_1 said:

Cheers

Morning mate, we did them on a 4 poster ramp , brother has his own body shop so handy for that, you can do it on axle stands I got the kits from zf so came with instruction booklet, I got myself an electric oil pump to pump the new oil in https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132439466537