Jump to content
Twiglet

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Recommended Posts

Hiya Mike,

 

It was £333 directly from Superchips, and I've covered a couple of hundred miles since installing yesterday.

 

So far I'm really impressed, but need to try to forget it's there and not 'use' it so much - fuel economy seems unchanged at normal cruising, but it's encouraging, I think is the best way to describe it - like a mate sitting next to you constantly saying "Go on then, do it!", and my fuel economy is suffering!

 

In all seriousness, the power delivery feels a bit wider and smoother, and it's in the higher rev ranges when the gearbox kicks down and it takes off like a scalded cat...

 

I've not had to knock the gear selector into sport to overtake since it's been on either, and it's definitely more responsive...

 

I think that once the novelty factor's worn off, fuel economy will also improve.

 

Not sure whether it's psychological, but the engine seems quieter unless I open the taps.

 

Will report back over the coming weeks, and before anyone says it, I know there are other choices, which I did look into, but I didn't want anything that offered stupid gains and the possibility of damage, and I liked the ability to put it back to standard myself if I feel the need; this is the option that worked for me, but won't be for everyone :)

 

Cheers,

 

Nick

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cubbyq said:

Hiya Mike,

 

It was £333 directly from Superchips, and I've covered a couple of hundred miles since installing yesterday.

 

So far I'm really impressed, but need to try to forget it's there and not 'use' it so much - fuel economy seems unchanged at normal cruising, but it's encouraging, I think is the best way to describe it - like a mate sitting next to you constantly saying "Go on then, do it!", and my fuel economy is suffering!

 

In all seriousness, the power delivery feels a bit wider and smoother, and it's in the higher rev ranges when the gearbox kicks down and it takes off like a scalded cat...

 

I've not had to knock the gear selector into sport to overtake since it's been on either, and it's definitely more responsive...

 

I think that once the novelty factor's worn off, fuel economy will also improve.

 

Not sure whether it's psychological, but the engine seems quieter unless I open the taps.

 

Will report back over the coming weeks, and before anyone says it, I know there are other choices, which I did look into, but I didn't want anything that offered stupid gains and the possibility of damage, and I liked the ability to put it back to standard myself if I feel the need; this is the option that worked for me, but won't be for everyone :)

 

Cheers,

 

Nick

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It won't.. I have the choice of an eco-map i can load into mine which still gives me about 30bhp more than standard.. i used it once and put the power map back on which returns me the same mpg as standard. Once you have the extra power you can't go back.
The novelty factor has not worn off in 4 years.. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgraded to these mega comfy comfort seats.

Big thanks M535-MAN for a spot on good deal

685b0f652285fae8c793f03896f493a2.jpg

If anyone's interested in some sport seats, full electric adjustable inc height n tilt adjustable base, thigh supports n headrests, give me a shout.

Couple bad points the drivers side bolster is showing some colour fade but easily touched up with a kit from Sleeper. I might actually do this anyway.

And the passenger heated base doesn't work due to taxiing some fat ass around. The backrest heater works fine though.

05f6fa582166c363bca7210853cde85a.jpgc93c4a6d944381e732af87e8b3432490.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks a good finish, far too dark for me, i'm just getting mine the original reflex Silver colour on Thursday. 

 

Also booked in for a recall 'Enhancment' according to my local dealer lol. rear bulb holders to be replaced and extra earth applied, thankfully a mate works at Menzies in stirling so quick message from him to check the wiring into the holder incase it needed replaced he could have ordered it today for me, sent some pics over and all is fine just new holders and earthing should be an hour tops. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did like the original colour but preferred this colour on my other car so thought I would give it a try. Did them myself so cost me less than £30 and a day of elbow grease so if I change my mind it's not the end of the world to go back to standard. I wonder if mine needs a recall as I have the same car as you on a 58 plate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2016 at 6:38 PM, tristan said:

Upgraded to these mega comfy comfort seats.

Big thanks M535-MAN for a spot on good deal

685b0f652285fae8c793f03896f493a2.jpg

If anyone's interested in some sport seats, full electric adjustable inc height n tilt adjustable base, thigh supports n headrests, give me a shout.

Couple bad points the drivers side bolster is showing some colour fade but easily touched up with a kit from Sleeper. I might actually do this anyway.

And the passenger heated base doesn't work due to taxiing some fat ass around. The backrest heater works fine though.

05f6fa582166c363bca7210853cde85a.jpgc93c4a6d944381e732af87e8b3432490.jpg

 

Got comforts fitted from the factory in mine :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checked the front brake pads and discs as the car has been doing a countdown for at least a couple of months. There's around 6mm of pad material on all pads but I could see that the sensor is very close to the disc so I guess the dashboard warning light will be popping up soon.

The discs are stamped minimum thickness 28.4mm, and mine were 28.39mm and 28.19mm so it's time for new discs too. About 56k on the clock so probably the originals.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

 

Checked the front brake pads and discs as the car has been doing a countdown for at least a couple of months. There's around 6mm of pad material on all pads but I could see that the sensor is very close to the disc so I guess the dashboard warning light will be popping up soon.

The discs are stamped minimum thickness 28.4mm, and mine were 28.39mm and 28.19mm so it's time for new discs too. About 56k on the clock so probably the originals.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

expensive month for you mate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too true. Our runabout has already cost us for 4 new tyres, annual service, MOT, brake fluid change, cam belt change (10 years), and the recommended new water pump!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to be a doom sayer but our family runabout (E61 535d) had over £10k of repairs done! (Under warranty luckily)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pidgeonpost,

 

You need to check with Phil what front discs you have been quoted, I think they may be 310mm x 24mm rather 324mm x 30mm which you have.

Thanks for that. So you think he may have quoted me for the 310x24? He quoted me a while back based on my VIN so I'm hoping he can confirm for me. The discs are stamped with minimum thickness of 28.4 so they certainly can't be the smaller ones. I'll edit my post on Cotswold. Thanks.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's a bank holiday so it wouldn't be right not to do anything on the car, so.... replaced dipped beam bulbs (RH failed last night), replaced tailgate wiper (it was just old), added 1l Mobil 1 0W40 semi as I got a low warning on my way to get the bulbs.

Think that'll do for one weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

got carly for bmw and app 

then coded car to have welcome lights, beep on alarm, digital speedo and so on

what a great bit of kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

after 2 days of correction i slapped on some Zymol Vintage at £2,500 a pot.

 

 

IMG_20160829_095249.jpg

IMG_20160829_095325.jpg

Looks nice, but £2,500?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the last two weeks, ish ......

New front pads and sensor

Replaced split charge air pipe (smoke and power loss sorted!) Rubber seal to intercooler/turbo connection (oil leak sorted!). Rocker cover and manifold seals (trying to find the leak :( ).

Glow plugs.

Oil and filter change. 

MUCH better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Swapped out the kidney grills with the silver surround for plain black matt.

181341d1f817471475405f441d8355bf.jpg

Not entirely convinced though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×