dan101smith

New Top Gear

I still enjoy Top Gear because I take it for what it now is - three childish blokes dicking about with cars they don't own or care for. Yes it's sad that a few cars fall by the wayside through design rather than accident but there are huge numbers of rare and desirable cars left rotting in peoples gardens and lock-ups anyway.

To criticise it for not being a motoring programme is now a bit naive as it hasn't been that for years - it's childish entertainment, that's all - it's seldom informative, always irreverent, hardly objective and now they've made their millions I don't suppose the trio care too much how far they push the boundaries as if it all folded up they could put their collective toes up and care no more about the criticism.

Wow

what an entertaining read !

Didn't relalise all the crew and equipment needed to make the "show"

police where not a great deal of help

Should have called the garrison on the Falklands for help

how do you know it had been saved? How do you know the cars not rotten to death underneath, did the person who saved it forget to fix the pas?

So you're saying it might not have been saved, that it was a mint original that hasn't been restored?

What people don't seem to realise us that TV is a business - to that end the cars are just props. If TG used stuff like Pug 106's, or maybe pushed the boat out with a 57 plate Mondeo, then no one would watch. Wanton destruction of cars might upset people like us but get a grip guys, it's just a TV show! Here's a thought - you could stop watching it ;)

^^^^ This is true unfortunately, anyone remmeber a red 6 series being written off at the begining of the first Lethal Weapon film, did the Mustang in the Bullit film survive? Hollywood must have written off loads of good cars over the years in the name of entertaiment, think James Bond E38 7 series, I do agree with Andrew though, its a shame for good metal to be spoilt for a TV show, and that is all TG it is now a TV entertainment show and not the same programme that started way back with Chris Goffey and Raymond Baxter.

When Clarkson talks about cars I detect very little enthusiasm in him probably because he has imersed himself in cars pretty much all his working life,and is now jaded,

Piper is right here with Mike Brewster's car progammes, he has a passion for his subject matter, and Wheeler Dealers is a good show for anyone vaguely interested in DIY car maintenance.

^^^^ This is true unfortunately, anyone remmeber a red 6 series being written off at the begining of the first Lethal Weapon film, did the Mustang in the Bullit film survive? 

The 6 used in lethal Weapon was an M6, but the one that was smashed was an early 77-81 633CSi. The Bullitt Mustang does survive and belongs to a reclusive car collector who tried to sell it to McQueen in the seventies. In The Italian Job, the three Minis that went over the side of a cliff were just standard 850's. Nobody knows what became of the actual Cooper S cars but they were probably put back to standard and sold in the UK. Both E Types were returned top the UK and one survives. But Bullitt and The Italian Job were proper films (and classics). The TG special isn't either. If they'd just bought three old Rover 800's and done this it would have been more entertaining.  

.....there are huge numbers of rare and desirable cars left rotting in peoples gardens and lock-ups anyway.

*cough* indeed!  ;-)

lol, I almost posted the same response.

Cheeky feckers ;)

You both know they're (mostly) kept on the drive not the garden and if they were at all actually desirable then maybe other folks would have stepped in before and bought them before I did.

Nearly all of the tat I like gets blanked by most car enthusiasts and hence E30 318iS's, E34 535i's, E32 and E38 iL's and odd old Alpina's get left to rot or be sent off for scrap. At least Top Gear gives them some weird kind of heroic last hurrah rather the slow slimey shameful damp domestic demise that thousands of other still viable motorcars get.

/rant

a red 6 series being written off at the begining of the first Lethal Weapon film

Don't mean to be pedantic, I am a fan of these films and the red 6 was in Lethal Weapon 2  

I watch TG in the hope that they will go back to the original show, I however do find some of the 60 minutes intresting and informative but there is too much crap in the show nowadays.  A good episode was something like the Audi A8 diesel going to Glasgow and back on only one full tank of fuel.

Edited by nealpina

If they'd just bought three old Rover 800's and done this it would have been more entertaining.  

Though if they were Mark 1 800's they are probably rarer than the cars in the TG special! :P

With regards to the show itself, I have pretty much lost interest now, I've gone from watching every episode, to now just putting it on when I have nothing else to do, the schoolboy humour just doesn't seem that funny to me any more!

Interesting if the bit where Jeremy said he went at 100+mph to visit his dad before he past away was true?

I'm sure he said 170mph. It was near the beginning of episode 1

I cannot remember his actually words but he meant (and said something along the lines of): if I was not in a car that could sit happily at 170 mph I then ...  

Correct he said a car that would sit at 170 not that he did. Though the story about him making a 'spirited' mercy dash is one he has written in the past.

I like top gear! as for car abuse, who hasn't whipped a new hire car to near death?

anyone whos had a hire car because of a no fault claim and not carried a wet dog in it?

ate in it?

shagged in it?

had your kids sick/crap in it?

we do this cos we can, its ok someone else pays! top gear do this cos someone else pays!

top gear should really have smashed up some caravans on the special like the old days

I like top gear! as for car abuse, who hasn't whipped a new hire car to near death?

anyone whos had a hire car because of a no fault claim and not carried a wet dog in it?

ate in it?

shagged in it?

had your kids sick/crap in it?

we do this cos we can, its ok someone else pays! top gear do this cos someone else pays!

top gear should really have smashed up some caravans on the special like the old days

I like 5th Gear :ph34r:

There are many other ratios to chose from - I have eight in my auto ;-)

As for the show - I enjoyed the scenery and the open roads (where tarmac) and the fact the Lotus was the best car there ......surprisingly!

Edited by E39mad