Wabby

Can I replace MULF with MULF2?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought it better than creating a new one. Yes you can replace MULF with MULF2, it is completely plug and play unless you want to code in your VIN for the Bluetooth name. If that doesn't bother you, no coding is required.

An added bonus is that unlike MULF units which were mainly produced between 2003 and 2007, MULF2 units were still manufactured up until much more recently, so as you can see below I have replaced my dead 2005 MULF with a 2015 MULF2! Because it is much newer and therefore has newer software, it has some extra features eg displaying signal strength in bars on the iDrive.

NOTE: There is also MULF2 'High Basis' - Those are NOT plug and play as the three plug connectors are different, and there is an extra input for USB. MULF2 High Basis requires changing the plugs, and coding to enable USB.

In summary the reason I am posting this is because it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that MULF and MULF2 are interchangeable, don't waste your money fixing a 10+ year old MULF when you can just buy a much newer MULF2 on eBay.

IMG_7238.thumb.jpg.bfccaf2bb06ea9dc3ff293fce6a834fc.jpg

Edited by edd_jedi

Just to add, it's easy to tell the difference between MULF2 and MULF2 High Basis without looking at the label or plugs, because the MULF2 has longer 'legs' and more fixing holes which enable it to fit to the same securing bolts as the original MULF.

MULF2

mulf2.thumb.jpg.4e22717887746d2cd3b45a88e7e3dc91.jpg

MULF2 High Basis

mulf2-high-basis.thumb.jpg.63da8d1438db1ecb0f4fd9d3d58b79a7.jpg

2 hours ago, osealy said:

I replaced failing mulf with MULF 2. It was straight swap. But still no phonebook from Samsung galaxy s8!

Silly question but have you turned contact list sharing on on your phone? I'm not sure how you do it on an Android phone, but on an iPhone you have to go in to the settings for the paired Bluetooth device and turn it on. It is off by default, so no phonebook in the car until you turn it on.

Thanks,  I  think I tried all those things.  However e61 3.0D engine siezed at 145k rather suddenly.  So currently back in e39 touring. Much nicer interior but definitely feels like an older car. Which I suppose it is. 

Sorry to bump an old thread but I hate creating new threads for the sake of it. The MULF unit died on me last month and purchased a second hand MULF 2 from a 2008 E90. However, I can't seem to activate the module in the iDrive settings - it won't let me check the box. When I disconnected the old MULF, I lost my CD Changer/iPod Integration functionality but since connecting the MULF 2, the functionality is back. I'm just wondering if coding is now required to activate it or could it be a dud MULF? I checked the codes and one error came up, which I cleared and has not come back.  (E18F - Central Registry does not match the target configuration Error Registry New)

I would say probably a faulty replacement, I went through two MULF1s before replacing with a MULF2 and none of the three required any coding for the Bluetooth checkbox in iDrive to function again. You will have lost your CD/iPod with nothing connected as there was an incomplete MOST curcuit so that doesn't prove the replacement you have bought is working.

Ah damn, I guess I will take it out to see what the damage is. Only reason I went for a MULF2 is that they are meant to be more reliable than the MULF1. Thanks!

I have got a mulf1 on my 56 e90 that went down so I sent it away and it got repaired but has gone down 5 week later and I’m sending it back under warranty but I bet they are gonna say it’s a different fault so got to pay again. Will a mulf2 work on a e90 without idrive cos the place is in Romania so can’t do much except buy a 2nd hand one or get someone else to repair the mulf again cos I’m not paying them again if they try and charge me. Thanks

Yep, exactly the same happened to me. I got my MULF1 'refusrbished' and it worked for 3 months, then died again. The place that refurbed it refused to honour their warranty. Don't waste your time with another MULf1, upgrade to a MULF2. Sorry I don't have an E90 so can't guarantee it will work, but I don't see why not.

Has your bmw got the Idrive though cos mine hasn’t. Did you send yours to Mca in Romania cos I have got to send mine back in the next few days so don’t know what they are gonna say yet but it was only 5 week ago so will be pretty pissed if they say iv got to pay again

Mine does have iDrive, but the MULF unit is just for Bluetooth so as long as your car already has a MULF it should be fine. I got my MULF1 refurbed by a company in London, they 'repaired' it once and then ignored me, I had to do a credit card chargeback to gert my money back as it was supposed to come with a 12 month warranty, it only lasted three. The used MULF2 I put in has lasted over a year now with no issues.

Bumping this thread in the hope it helps someone else...

I have a 2006 E60 523i. It came with a MULF unit that died 7 or 8 months ago. BMW part # 84219116725.

Rang the stealership - apparently there have been a number of different MULFs over the years. The latest unit (BMW part # 84109226711) supersedes all others. See here for more info:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partsearch?id=NB91-EUR---E60-BMW-M5&diagId=84_0686&q=84219116725

They wanted EUR 700+ for it. Screw that.

Ended up purchasing a second hand MULF2 unit for EUR 60. BMW part # 84109163348. I can confirm that it swaps right in and works perfectly. VIN shows up as being different but honestly who cares.

I did the same, think mine was out of a 2008 E90, works perfectly and unlike the early version in mine this one shows your phone signal on the idrive too.