Jay_w

Retrofitting Auto Tailgate On A Touring - Anyone done it

Hi,

Being looking on Ebay.de and there's a guy on there selling the E39 Touring Auto Tailgate Kit.

Now i was wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted this and how hard was it and what needed doing to fit it?

Jay

Edited by Jay_w

^ ^ Nope, but if that's the German guy, I've been looking at that kit too.

The wiring is a must.   It'll be a pretty simple system (I had it on an E38 to open the boot) but without the correct connectors, you'd be sunk.

Also, he mentions the fact that the shell needs to be strengthened.  Where exactly?  I asked this, but haven't had a response....

Otherwise, it looks like it'd be a fairly simple install, though removing & refitting the main tailgate section doesn't sound fun.  (BIG gas rams, large springs & inaccessible connection points), not to mention a mass of by-now old, crispy wiring & the need to thread some more through a tight space.

As far as I could tell from the E38 system, it relied on connections to existing switches, so recoding *might* not be necessary?

The shell work involves fabricating & welding in a strengthening plate around the hole you have to drill in the inner roof panel. This hole is where the pivot point for the hydraulic cylinder bolts so needs to be capable of taking the stress-load generated. 

If not done the original roof panel will rip when the tailgate is operated.

There was a good pictorial thread on a German forum that explained the procedure for retro-fitting all this but I've just checked back & all the pics are gone so it's largely useless now!

^ ^ Handy to know, thanks!

I assumed that, (at the very least), the headlining will need to come out to fit the system....  

I had visions of making an access panel and given the forces involved, I can understand the need for strengthening...   

The lever for the ram is quite short and that, plus the weight of the tailgate, could easily exceed 1/2 tonne of force, if not more!

Only pic.left that I can find of the hole & strengthening plate. You also have to drill a second, oblong hole nearby to allow access for assembling it in the roof space.

post-40578-0-08442100-1415045024.jpg

Edited by 540i/6DB

22 minutes ago, IanDubE28 said:

Bumping old thread. Anyone know if there is an additional parts on both sides of the tailgate? Looking at parts online and most kits only seem to have one side. 

The hydraulic parts are only on the left side. Otherwise the normal gas springs on both sides help the load.