RichardP

Firmware V6.02-7109

I'm not making this a sticky thread and replacing the 6.02-7058 firmware as this build has not been tested as much as I'd like and there is no update to the user guide.

The main reason for posting is for people to test a new feature that has required a reasonable amount of internal reorganisation which may introduce problems. The main area where problems may occur is when performing an action either via the menu or a key press. I've had to extend the number of possible actions that can take parameters (for example changing values can go up or down depending on the turn direction of the control wheel) so that they have actions and sub-actions.

The firmware contains all changes that have been made for specific problems for all UIs plus the addition of the option to setup scroll parameters for field 0 text on the Nav screen. Scrolling hits the iBus pretty hard, particularly for UI6 where the text in field 0 can be quite long. I'd recommend a scroll speed of no more than 0.4 sec on a Mk IV nav using the Small font option and it would be best not to enable scrolling of both the Nav and High Cluster.  Probably best to limit the number of repeats too.

The scroll options are on the 'Setup Display' menu for the Full Screen Nav software and on the 'Text Size' menu (selected from the 'Setup Display' menu for the Split Screen Nav software.

Here are a couple of videos of it working on a Rover Mk III and a Mk IV Nav, Field 0 has been set to show 'Now Playing'. The maximum length of the scrolling text is currently 64 characters.

Please post any questions or problems in this thread, I'd also like to know who has tried it and with what components.

I'll post an 'official' version with updated user guide in due course.

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7109.zip

Edited by RichardP

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the new beta version. Look forward to trying it.

Although there are probably just the two of us using the rear armrest MID, are the functions that were in there stay?
I ask because I suspect free memory space in the Intravee is getting low. For those who may have missed it here is what we were seeing in 2012. :)

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/cYWFa92G61c?list=UUerO73l6yeZbqZedh2Q212g

It got even better after this just haven't made a video

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the new beta version. Look forward to trying it.

Although there are probably just the two of us using the rear armrest MID, are the functions that were in there stay?

I ask because I suspect free memory space in the Intravee is getting low. For those who may have missed it here is what we were seeing in 2012. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYWFa92G61c

It got even better after this just haven't made a video

All the Rear MID features are still included. Space is very timght, but I keep finding ways to save a bit here and there.

Scrolling text on the Nav, MID and Rear MID all at the same time might not be the best idea!! :)

Does this add any more 'new' features, aside from the scrolling?

Not much of significance. Most of the changes from 6.02-7058 are specific bug fixes or changes to support specific vehicles/configurations. If you've had a build between 7058 and 7109 then the changes will be included and you should know what they are!

It's actually quite a lot of work summarising all the changes from a users perspective, which is why I've not done it yet!

Hi Richard:

It's been awhile, the new scroll feature works great, been waiting on this for a long time. Keep up the good work. Thanks.

bmwgirl.

Is it posible that with the new firmware the cluster sometimes set itself to max bright when sun is direct? Before it change, but not as bright as now.

Also the scrolling is only for ipod, not mp3 charger throw kca unit, true?

Edited by makpowa

Is it posible that with the new firmware the cluster sometimes set itself to max bright when sun is direct? Before it change, but not as bright as now.

Also the scrolling is only for ipod, not mp3 charger throw kca unit, true?

With the E46, yes there is a change to the control of the brightness of the inner part of the cluster. I think this has been improved in the attached update.

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7110.zip

Edited by RichardP

Hi Richard,

I'm a new Intravee user (2005 E46 M3) and came across your 7109 build while setting things up.  Decided to jump in with both feet and start there.

Environment: Mk4 Nav radio, replaced BMW 6-disc changer with CDA-S634 as only AiNet device.

For the most part things worked well, however I did have an incident this morning worth noting.  I've got the SMG transmission, and it dropped a diagnostic error in the middle of driving... lost the ability to shift to either 1st or 2nd, went into limp mode.  Pulled over, shut down engine long enough for SMG to reset, and things went back to normal.  No persistent fault codes remain according to generic OBD-II scanner (have not yet had time to run INPA or DIS yet.)

I've seen this type of error when I was playing with ODB-II commands while driving; if I was not meticulous about matching requests and response reads over the OBD bus for secondary systems (which I presume some of which make it to the i-bus in addition to the k-bus).

Is it possible your scrolling load may have some timing issues?  At the time I had the vehicle status page being displayed.

(scratches head and wonders why I haven't looked at IV error log...)

Have you heard of any collateral impact like this from an IV installation?

Thanks!

-Paul

Well, never say never, but it's pretty unlikely.

The whole point of the iBus is that non essential peripherals can't interfere with the main car systems. However, on the E46 the iBus and main CAN Bus are more closely linked. It would be worth reading the error codes using 'proper' software, most generic OBD scanners just report ECU errors.

With the E46, yes there is a change to the control of the brightness of the inner part of the cluster. I think this has been improved in the attached update.

I just updated mine to 7110 as listed above.. and can confirm the light issue whilst using DRL seems to have gone :) nice one.. good fix

Great!

A small bug found, the Vehicle Type menu under Extras Settings is not quite right, it would only be a problem if you change the vehicle type and displays it incorrectly. Basically the text does not match the menu action. Fixed in the attached build.

fw-app-256 - extras V6.02-7112.zip

Well, never say never, but it's pretty unlikely.

The whole point of the iBus is that non essential peripherals can't interfere with the main car systems. However, on the E46 the iBus and main CAN Bus are more closely linked. It would be worth reading the error codes using 'proper' software, most generic OBD scanners just report ECU errors.

I ran a diag scan with DIS, and sure enough found a logged error in the SMG, fault reading the gear position sensor.

It has happened before when I was helping the author of a track data logger debug his application (reading data via OBD-II).  He was trying to use the ELM327 "quick read" for responses which pre-specifies how many replies a particular command evokes.  On the E46/M3, many commands get responses from two ECUs, so the author had to add an adaptive probe to preset the number of replies to expect on each query type.  But when his code lost synchronization with the OBD-II interface (and the kBus(es)) bizarre errors would pop up like this SMG fault.  Since the improvement we've not seen a single fault.

I haven't had a repeat occurrence of this or any other unexpected fault so I'll chalk it up to coincidence that it happened shortly after installing the IV.  Which I really like, BTW!

I have not yet installed 7112, but will give it a try in the next week or so.  Other than the SMG event, the only odd behavior I observed happened because I was playing with it so long without a battery charger or motor running parts of the Nav/Radio shut down due to low voltage.  Maybe there is space left for an admonition on the screen on low battery  ;)

Thanks!

Unfortunately low battery warning is really difficult to do. The only way to get the battery voltage that I know of is to continually poll the Nav with diagnostic commands, this is not a very good thing to do and would itself cause extra drain. Even then the voltage reported is the voltage reported by the Nav internals and is not totally representative of the actual battery voltage, it's regulated to some degree.

Really you just have to remember that having the ignition on in these cars without the engine running places a massive load on the battery, it can be 20A. More than a few minutes and you MUST use a battery charger, run the engine or be prepared for a flat battery.

Really you just have to remember that having the ignition on in these cars without the engine running places a massive load on the battery, it can be 20A. More than a few minutes and you MUST use a battery charger, run the engine or be prepared for a flat battery.

Having done this a couple of times myself, where I flattened the battery much quicker than expected, this is sound advice!

Richard, I installed 7110 last weekend and noticed there is now an auto close 'on lock' option, rather than just 'lock on hold', which would be superb if it worked, but it doesn't for me? :(

Lock on hold works fine, but the new option doesn't, any ideas?

Richard, I installed 7110 last weekend and noticed there is now an auto close 'on lock' option, rather than just 'lock on hold', which would be superb if it worked, but it doesn't for me? :(

Lock on hold works fine, but the new option doesn't, any ideas?

The 'On Lock' option is experimental, it needs a differer mechanism to cause the windows to close.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it to work in the future, for now it does not work.

Richard what version is ok for my E46,MKIV with Alpine cha-s634?

the scroll function can work with cd changer?

thanks

7112 should be OK.

Scrolling should work for all source types.

The 'On Lock' option is experimental, it needs a differer mechanism to cause the windows to close.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it to work in the future, for now it does not work.

No worries, so it's not an issue with my car then, I've set it back to how it was.

Hi Richard,

I have an 04 BMW M3 with the BMW Business CD unit, Alpine 420i controlling an iPhone 5s. With firmware 7112, none of the search functions (playlist, album, artist, song)  I had assigned to buttons 1-5 work after the update. I get the display 7-01 if i press one the buttons. Button 6 I assigned to now playing still works as before.

If i reset the unit button1 does control playlist 1 so I think it's only a problem with the search functions.

I am enjoying the light control you added to the non navigation UI.

Just to be clear, with UI2 you've assigned the number keys to go directly to search, for example 1 -> Playlist.  2->Album etc. Is that correct?

It is the sort of thing that might cause a problem, so I'll check and get back to you, probbaly be Thursday before I can though.