Tjlazer

blistein b8 = intrax essential

I thought I'd share my experience with the b8s...I had to change my rears at MOT earlier this year and so put in the b8s on stock springs to get me through as cpc couldn't source stock shocks at the time. At first it seemed ok but I noticed that the back felt a bit 'floaty' on the motorway and generally a bit unsettled, most contrary to the M5 experience. A bit of research showed that I'm not alone in this so I went off and got some intrax springs from evolve...

Finally fitted today and wow, what a bloody difference! Everything feels bolted down and super solid at high speed and in the bends. I already had the eibach arbs on front and rear and had phil change the steering box at the same time as mine was a little tired. Feels like a new car again and I'm loving the new handling. It's firm without being over the top and plenty good enough on my usual roads. It doesn't feel significantly different to stock but much improved handling vs tired shocks (as you might expect!). If you're contemplating the b8s I'd say that intrax really are essential, you're hobbling yourself if you stick to stock springs.

Will post some pics of ride height in a bit, it's not massively different to stock, certainly higher than the KW v3s. Gets my vote if you're struggling to get Sachs, I don't think you'll miss them once you've tried this setup.

where do you guys go to get uprated parts from?

I use DPM for my Skoda stuff but cant seem to find any online shops to get parts from for my M5?

I think I have some tired shock on my E39 and would really like to get her back up to speed. its not bad yet but I just get the feeling that its tired.

sounds like this is a nice kit to go for as I don't want to ruin the car with coilies

Yeah I had the KW v3s on originally and found them too much for my purposes. Looked pretty tough though! Bilstein is widely available, eurocarparts are cheap but as Phil at CPC did the work he got them for me at a better price than I could online. Intrax are only direct from Holland or Evolve as far as I can tell. Evolve delivered next day for 240 quid which I felt was more than fair given H&R are nearly 200 just for fronts. I've not had any real issues sourcing parts but I'm sure some people here can point you in the right direction.

TBH Ive had coilies on cars before and from Weitec Hicon GT to KW v3 and even I am embarrased to say JOM coilovers on my Fabia vRS.

needless to say the JOM's didn't last long even at the highest they would go they were horrid, the Weitecs on my Octavia vRS were a lot better but still hard and the KWv3's were more for track use really but TOP NOTCH quality. My wife though didn't like the feel of them and seen as the M5 is for the both of us to go places, I cant really go coilovers

does anyone know the PN for the B12 kit for the M5?

I am looking on Balance site and they link you to the bilstein catalogue and when selecting the M5 it only has the B14 and B16 kits which I think are coilovers?

Can the B6 shocks be used on the M5 with std springs or are they too long?

I like the ride height of the car as it is plus I know its not going to catch on any humps.

Edited by billy2981

Interesting read about the Bilsteins with the Intrax springs. I was going down the Apex RDX coilover route until this little idea. Now I am in the process of slow time setting the car up for my ring trip next year, suspension and brakes are my number one priority. Brakes are sorted from carbotech, these billies have great reviews!

Hey Tim..

You know you can easily adjust the ride height on the KW V3's and the stiffness, although i haven't touched the settings you had them on as whoever set them up did a great job, it's a little low but no problem with bumps etc.. Still the best mod i did on the car, pitty that suspension you bought didn't last long, i wonder why?

What additional oem bits are required when installing the front b8's besides front strut mounts?

I've made a list for the rears but am unsure what exactly comes with the fronts?

I pinched this pick off bricko's suspension thread. Which parts are needed when installing the b8 and intrax combo?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

On mine I used new upper and lower spring pads. I would have fitted new top mounts as well but I bought some Ground Control camber plates. On the B8s the bump stops are internal so you won't need the 'additional damper' listed on RealOEM. The top mounts should come with the top bearings already fitted so all you need to do is push the upper spring pad into the underside of the top mount. I would use Lemforder top mounts from somewher like AllGermanParts. I made a decision not to fit the rubber dust boots (No 10 in the diagram) as Bilstein use double dust seals and I feel that the boots just trap dirt and water anyway. When I wash the car I just give the shocks and springs a good hosing down. There is a knack to getting the springs positioned correctly on the lower spring pad before you tighten the big nut holding the top mount on the shock shaft. The way to do it is to position the lower spring pad correctly and then rotate the spring so that the slight oval shape fits as snugly as possible, for as much of the circumference of the pad as possible. I've put a link below from when I did mine. You will see from the photographs that the spring does not get pushed all the way around to but up against the spring pad end . If you need any more help just PM me.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/366586-advice-assembling-shocks-springs-please.html