Kendo

E36 328i (M52) Misfire... No check engine light?

Hello everyone, hope you are all well...

Unfortunately my E36 is not. Drove to work absolutely fine this morning. On the way back car was awkward. It's lumpy on idle and is most definitely showing a misfire symptoms. Only thing is though, absolute no warning/check engine lights. The OBC still shows, Check OK?

I'm really hoping it's a plug. I haven't changed them since I owned the car from October and mileage is 107k, so probably a good shout they haven't been done in a while?

Any ideas guys? :(

All help really appreciated

The check engine light doesn't do anything on European cars, nor does the OBC give any engine error messages.

I would start by looking at the coil packs and trying diagnostics as the spark plug holes can fill with oil or water, or coil packs can break down over time.

The check engine light doesn't do anything on European cars, nor does the OBC give any engine error messages.

I would start by looking at the coil packs and trying diagnostics as the spark plug holes can fill with oil or water, or coil packs can break down over time.

I did top the oil up on Sunday afternoon. I'm worried I may have occidentally overdone it by half a litre, and the plugs have become covered (I'll check my level soon once the car has cooled down enough, returning the oil to oil pan.). Although it did drive fine Monday morning, then night and even this morning?

The plugs are worth changing anyway so I'll pick them up, try them first tomorrow after work and I'll soon know if the plug holes are full. 

(praying that its just the plugs) Cheers, for the help pal.

I suppose with so many possible things, I better get codes read. Although I genuinely thought something like a sensor would through a light on the dash, or even put the car into limp mode.

i no doubt bet its a coil pack! i had one go years and years ago on an e36 320i coupe, exact same symptoms you describe. They are individual to each cylinder. Try that first.

Nope, they're not that sophisticated.

Sophistacated enough to put a whole load of sensors/electrical componenets that may be causing the issue though, misfire can be caused by a whole number of things which is always frustrating.

i no doubt bet its a coil pack! i had one go years and years ago on an e36 320i coupe, exact same symptoms you describe. They are individual to each cylinder. Try that first.

Well I've picked up 6 plugs and a new ignition coil. I'll fit them tonight and here's praying all is well. Cheers all.

3upe9u7e.jpg

So here was the cause of my misfire woes. Believe it or not, it was only one of the plugs causing the misfire! All of the coils were working. There wasn't any oil/water in the plug holes (well, very minimal oil) which was good news. By the condition of the plugs, they've been in a while. As it was only one cylinder misfiring, I knew it was either one plug or one coil (hense why I only bought one coil, plus at £27 a pop, wasn't going to buy 6 if weren't needed.)

You can't really see it in the picture, but the rubber sleeve on the one of the coils was split. Although working, I replaced it with the coil I bought. So all worked out well really and car back to smooth self. Cheers all. :D

Great you got it sorted.

My E36 320i was close to 200k miles when I got rid of it, and I never had to do coil packs. (bought at 58k miles)