Jay_w

My E39 540i Touring - BX98177 - An ongoing project / build

2021 Plans / Repairs / Upgrades :

Remove window tints - Want the current film removed as its just to dark & ''ghetto gangster'' plus i think at times it makes the touring look like a van, however i will be replacing it with a clear UV protection film to stop any sun damage to the interior or heat building up inside the car (This is mainly a problem in the Summer months due to it being a Black car with a Black leather interior),

Get Rear bumper repainted due to it having a scratch on the N/S lower half - I have absolutely no idea how it got scratched which is puzzling me,

Get my OEM E39 M5 folding mirrors painted match to car & fitted / coded to fold / unfold when the car is locked or unlocked,

Get window surrounds repainted due to paint peeling on them,

Get roof rails / bars repainted due to the paint peeling on them - I have thought about doing the roof rail / bar delete but i'm not 100% sold on the looks of the Touring when once they have being removed,

I've gotta source an interior trim to get painted - Current hydro dipped trim is past looking its best plus i feel its starting to make the interior feel / look its age.

Might finally get round to sorting the stereo install - Being meaning to do this for ages but never seem to get round to doing it,

Thinking of replacing the current exhaust setup with a proper muffler delete along with new exhaust tips - Thinking of doing this 1 - Want more V8 noises, 2 - When looking at the current Oval exhaust tip it doesn't quite fill out the opening on the diffuser how i want it to so either thinking of replacing it with a slightly larger oval tip or a twin exit tip. 

Thinking about replacing the current Front foglights which are tinted with either Clear or Yellow lens versions along with fitting LED bulbs but i have seen the full LED replacement units from Morimoto which has me undecided on which route to go with.

Another light upgrade i'm thinking of doing its replacing my current HID setup with either complete OEM xenon headlight units or converting my current headlights to xenons using OEM ballasts, D2S xenon bulbs & H7 to D2S adapters,

I have thought about fitting a Black '540i' badge to the Rear however i'm 50 / 50 on this as i like the cleanness of it being debadged but then again there has been times i'd like to let people know that it is a 540i as i have had in the past people ask whether its a 530D or a 530i (No disrespect to those owners) - Its something else to think about i guess.

Looking into the IBUS App - Info about IBUS App can be found here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPla3xPwp4&feature=emb_title&ab_channel=I-BUSApp or here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3RyKFgqxTk&ab_channel=ZeroTo60 - Looks an interesting bit of kit as it adds some modern features to the E39 platform.

Most of the above was ment to get sorted last year however i didn't bother due to the current world situation but once Winter has past i'm hoping i can crack on with the list of jobs and get to using the car more than i have done over the past 12-18months.

Edited by Jay_w

Sounds like some good projects there @Jay_w ;) 

I'm not a fan of the roof bar delete on the tourings; they suit the lines IMO

On the subject of v8 noises, I think a lot of it is to do with the 2into1 mid/rear section.

keeping the 2 banks separate should produce the required sound.

ive seen pics where people have used the m5 mid section instead, then had some new pipes re-routed to various locations. (I’ve shown my preferred route, I did see this done elsewhere, but can’t find pic)

I do wonder if that mid box on the 540i is the same internally and if a hole could we cut and pipe attached?

im tempted to do this myself btw. It could actually go through a proper 2 exit rear box if you wanted to tone it down a bit, but still have the desired burble. - a twin exit, in the original single position, pipes slightly smaller than the standard single could look quite nice, but still subtle

other options I’ve seen replace that kidney box with an X-pipe and the run two to rear.

6A16D16B-4689-42CE-B7DA-23DEF9F249D1.jpeg

Answering my own questions here:

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/540i-e39-dual-exhaust-conversion-my-conversion.662976/

that’s the 540i “lung” cut open and another exit added.

I feel like the m5 version is still potentially a better option. It has two straight inlets off each bank, whereas the 540i seems to have an X just before it. - the m5 may also have a different baffle inside, but only way to know for sure is to cut one of both open to investigate - an expensive (unnecessary) task.

Well the Tourings finally had a wash in 2021, Haven't bothered with the car since late October / Early November so going on 5-6months but i'm now getting the car booked into the places to needs to go to (Paint Shop / Tint Shop / Detailer / Mechanic).

Anyways these are after a snowfoam, 2 x bucket wash, snowfoam, rinse, then dried - Couldn't be bothered to use any tyre dressing or glass polish due to current sitting there with a flat / dead battery. The wire you can see poking out the Front is my trickle changer as i'm trying to get abit of charge in it so that i can open the boot then replace the current battery.

51015050665_b4ec227fce_c.jpg 
50999314219_4baaa82381_c.jpg

Edited by Jay_w

Well i'm slowly getting through my ''to do 'list'' and today was window tint day.
For a good number of months i've being looking at the Touring and thinking that the tints i had applied not long after i brought the car were starting to look abit 'Eastern European Drug Dealer' and were starting to age the car badly due to how dark they were.
Anyways today (23/06/21) the car was dropped off with my window tint guy who went about removing the tint film that was on there.
He then applied a 70% tint film to windows from the B-pillar backwards and a 50% tint film to the Rear window / tailgate window (Percentage is how much light the film lets through)
I wanted some sort of tint on the back windows :
1 - UV Protection,
2 - Keeps the car cooler not only for myself but also for when the dog is in there,
3 - Completely untinted would feel abit like being in a goldfish bowl.
The drivers side and passenger side Front windows have zero tint film on them now (Now means i'll be applying leather conditioner to the Front seats way more often than i used to, to keep them from drying out in the Summer / hotter months)
I'm now way happier how the car now looks and sort of wishing i'd gone with these percentages first time round.

51266714116_ecea50b190_c.jpg
51267449449_afaa8a9f44_c.jpg
51267749095_7dee5f71cd_c.jpg
51267449144_671b01e670_c.jpg

Edited by Jay_w