Nothing had really gone wrong with it till 2016 then the water pump let go, don’t ignore noisy bearings! Luckily I was very close to home so got back ok.
Not long after an accumulator burst hitting a pot hole, it was very rusty. I managed to get the old one out but had to cut the pipe to do it, I could see there was no way to get the new one in without removing lots of removing of things so just put the new one under the fixed bit of the floor.
The floor can’t be fixed back down so the bit of wood held it up fine for the little use the E39 was getting then. They got mounted properly underneath when I finished the work below.
The air bags started leaking very shortly after so they both got replaced & a new accumulator for the O/S fitted in with the N/S one.
I spent ages chasing leaks / sagging suspension after that I narrowed do to the valve block, I tried cleaning the valves a few times but they never held for long a new block was needed in the end.
It drove ok like that but I could feel the rear end getting much worse almost every time out. The MOT only ever mentioned the rusty rear brake pipes, but it was obvious all the rear suspension needed a good going over before it was going to get pressed back into daily use.
So I gave the underneath a good cleaning before starting:
Son too busy on Xbox to help!
Back in the garage & dried off:
That ball joint didn’t look too good to start with
Then looked much worse closer up!
I wasn’t very impressed with my friend who builds rally cars out of E36 compacts & MOTs occasionally for extra money not spotting this!
Rubbers gone on most of the rear ball joints.
The front generally looked fine but the knocking noise my MOT friend could hear but not find was immediately obvious:
That ARB link was all the front needed at 180,000 miles.
So the limited time available was concentrated on the obviously knackered rear.
The only thing my MOT friends did keep mentioning was the rusty brake pipes:
I had tried to wax them a few times but its very hard to get proper access.
I had quickly waxed that subframe mount but it clearly wasn’t going to last like that!
Once I started scraping the other subframe mounts they were all rusty under the factory stone chip paint.
They all got cleaned up, then painted with Hydrate 80 & Epoxy Mastic on top.
BMW thoughtfully put joints in the brake pipes behind the under cover:
So connecting up new copper pipes was easy
Well, easy once I got the proper tool on the left, one on the right was crap!
I forgot to undo the big nuts while it was still on the ground!
Everything off apart from the hand brake cables, they didn’t want to budge & I didn’t want to break them as they looked fine, so they stayed there!
Bit over due for replacement!
Bearings on tool gave up on the other side, I just used some oiled washers instead.
A few of the many boxes:
The tool for the touring that @jimmy hires out made changing the subframe mounts easy.
Back together with all new arms & new bearings both sides.
The sills were still holding up ok from the Hydrate 80 & hammerite a few years before:
I hadn’t taken the jacking pad off last time so decided to redo it as it was up in the air:
Deox gel going on to remove the rust.
I was running out of time before it needed to be back in the road, this was the front after 1st go with the gel
So hydrate 80 it was as there was still some rust left:
Then the expoxy mastic:
Then plenty of S50 wax inside the hole before new jacking pads.
Quick test fit of BBS wheels from 6 series:
I think that was without spacers, too long ago to remember!
I thought I’d go with a genuine pipe on the front so I didn’t have one copper pipe on the distribution block:
So I was mildly annoyed to find it was a different colour to the originals & still need bending to fit!
Very shortly after putting it back on the road I started getting ABS lights on the dash & these errors:
So the ABS module in the picture one back needed sending off to get rebuild, think they go dry jointed from memory.
Found one of the fuel pipes leaking so that needed a new one too:
The vapour barrier on the rear door had been leaking & got the soundproofing very wet, it rusted out the plug in the floor so it needed a quick patch:
You can’t see that now with underseal on it.
All the bits replaced:
Back together & with the BBS CH-R wheels on properly:
The wanted section on here turned up a proper Sport bumper lower section with the removable bit for the detachable towbar.
I had been taking the entire original panel off each time I wanted to use it before.