I'm pleased to announce the first custom manufactured solution from Innovadrive for BMW E39 owners!
The BMW E39 5 series OEM audio systems and packages have become outdated in recent years due to the fast paced nature of the car audio and electronics industry. Many owners have faced the dilemma of wanting to upgrade their cars to have the latest audio and safety features, but have been reluctant to lose the aesthetics within the dashboard. This issue has now been resolved with a new solution which combines the best of both worlds - the very latest technology and an OEM look !
The Innovadrive NXG-39 is a combination fascia and fitting kit allowing a double DIN head unit to be installed whilst maintaining the design aesthetic of the sought after OEM 16:9 monitor fitted to some E39's optioned at the factory.
Features & Highlights
* Combined fascia & fitting kit - Designed primarily for the latest generation of shallow depth head units the NXG-39 is a single piece solution. No extra fitting kits are required to be purchased and installed, additionally, the existing mounting holes in the dash pieces are utilized to securely mount it. The fitting process reqires a modest level of technical knowledge in order remove/refit the car's cabin trim and to make mounting holes on the fascia's inner mounting panels. The locations of those holes would be determined by whichever head unit is chosen.
* Design - Close resemblance to the OEM button and rotary knob sizing, shape and press feel to match the OEM 16:9 monitor. The rest of the design has been proportionally altered whilst cleverly maintaining OEM styling and aesthetics to suit the fitment of a larger double DIN head unit. Dimmable backlighting when connected to the cars loom is integrated along with a close resemblence to the car's original dash backlight colour. The laser etching for the characters and symbols is extremely precise as would be expected at this level of quality. The full cycle of design, CAD modeling, prototyping, manufacturing and finishing has all been in partnership with UK based automotive manufacturing specialists. Innovadrive's close involvement with each of these stages maintains very high quality standards and are similarly trusted by some of the worlds most famous marques such as Bentley, Jaguar Land Rover, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce etc.
* Strength & Resilience - An over engineered design results in an extremely sturdy item using the correct automotive grade materials and components throughout. Japanese (Matsushita) soft press buttons and LED's are specified for the PCB and the overall design of the electronics components. The fascia's strength is derived using CAD modeling where the best levels of strength were acheived for the entire piece taking into account technical characteristics of the actual material and moulding process.
* Automotive grade finishing - The specific automotive interior paint used to give a very high quality and robust finish has a light texture feel to it and is found in some of the worlds finest automobile manufacturers vehicles. Technical characteristics include excellent levels of UV, temperature and humidity resistance along with common contaminants often found in cars from different climates around the globe.
* Future development - A 'phase' 2 which is currently in initial stages of R&D - the button symbols and characters can be changed to custom choices as the PCB can recognise which button has been pressed. A separate control/interface unit can interpret those and can then subsequently be used to control other aftermarket products/features such as, heated seats, massaging seats, air ride controllers, TPMS systems etc. The development process will also evaluate the potential to relocate the OEM ASC, DSC, Sport, Window Blind switches.
Price: £239 inc UK delivery. Please get in touch if your location is in a higher delivery charge location or international for a customised shipping quote.
NXG-39 & Parrot Asteroid Smart installed in my own car
NXG-39 & Alpine iLX-700 installed in an M5
* Q - Can I fit a standard depth double DIN head unit? A - Absolutely! Just the modification to the cars airbox to make the space needed for the extra depth of the head unit is required to be done. Due to the strength of the NXG-39 design, there's no extra expense to get a fitting kit to hold the deeper head unit in place.
* Q - What do the buttons do? A - The buttons and rotary knob detail are for aesthetic purposes in order to give as best an OEM look to the fascia as possible. The minimum design specification was to have the buttons as backlit, dimmable and pressable. Future development and options means that the button caps can be swapped and the PCB connected to an interface unit to which specific aftermarket products can be connected and controlled. Innovadrive is currently developing these elements!
* Q - Can I fit my own screen panel and make use of the buttons the way I want? A - Definitely! with the NXG-39, you can choose which hardware you'd like to fit giving flexibility to any personal projects you may have in mind.
* Q - Why aren't there any fixing holes on the inner panels? A - Due to the myriad of head units, screens and other modular displays available and their differing fixing mount locations too many pre-made holes would need to be incorporated into those fixing panels.
* Q - Is the material easily drillable to make holes when installing? A - Yes, using a good sharp drill bit means only modest pressure and spin speed is needed when using a small drill.
* Q - When I switch the car lights on but the head unit is off, do the buttons illuminate? A - Yes! When connected to the correct panel illumination wire in the cars wiring loom. The intensity can also be varied by using the car's dimming wheel.
* Q - Whats the dimensions of the area to fit a head unit into? A - In order to fit a head unit like in the pictures, the bezel around it's screen panel needs measure within 172 x 96 mm. If a head unit's bezel dimension is slightly larger, then using a sharp file, some material can be removed to have the bezel fit snugly.