All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. mikeplatman

BMW

3. Today
  4. Have damaged rear nearside passenger door and wheel arch, not claiming on insurance so been looking around for some quotes, have had a few different suggestions about damage, saying they have to weld pins into door surround/wheel arch so it can be pulled out, to suggestions about having to use filler as the damaged part is aluminum and can not be welded. Question are the body panels on the F07 metal or aluminum. any one recommend any body shops on the wirral that will do non insurance work,thanks tim
  5. Hi guys, I am contemplating a switch to a F10 M5, wondering if the multifunction dash would fit and work in the M5 ? if so I could remove it from myn before I make the swap. It is the 6WB option Cheers
  6. A I see that makes sense, Looking at the instructions these are solid not a roller mechanism ? I wonder if the ebay ones are a roller mechanism, i know for a fact we will either loose them or when not being used get bent out of shape etc cheers
  7. ttrw2

e39 M5 Gearbox - Do I need detents?

If the gearchange is already heavy, have you got a short shift on it already? As above, M5 syncros are slow when oil is cold, an oil change won't hurt/does make a small improvement Replacing detent springs improves any vagueness in the shift pattern IME, if you know where all seven gears are and can find them easy enough, plus the stick self-centres OK, then no need to change.
  8. Andyrt200

E39 parts

I have some of those screws, (in my pictures above) they are indeed just plated in a nice black finish. It was the nuts I was wondering about, a quick search like you did for the screws would suggest they’re not rubber coated, I could have sworn the ones I took off did have a rubber coating. It’s not nice pushing the standard metal slip on nuts over your lovely fresh new paint!
  9. benedwards64

I've just had my gearbox oil replaced, along with a new clutch, fly and various bushes and linkage components (in particular the white plascit bush at the base of the gear lever had a lot of play in it). It's not prevented the usual notchiness when cold, but has made the changes much more positive when up to temp.
  10. Yes, it could be screwed/fixed into the plastic window surround inside the door frame but that would cause damage to the trim. I’ve seen other types (although only available for saloon not touring) which have magnets sewn into the hem to hold in place. Unfortunately the F10 has a plastic surround so there would need to be small metal plates fixed to the plastic for it to stick to. I’ve bought some of these to fit my wife’s Mazda which has a metal door frame, all the way from Singapore from https://thecarstuffs.com/
  11. Spreadly

Drivechain - Drive Moderately

[emoji23] Yeah, I've known a few of those. You cannot get a premium car and expect to run it like a Vauxhall. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  12. 535i Andrew

Sadly there are some. When you can get a new 5 er for a few hundred quid a month on the never never, a big service is more than a months payment, folk moan about the costs.
  13. 535i Andrew

Driving Comfort Restricted

It really wants its codes read.
  14. Spreadly

Yeah I hear you. Of course I have never expected, nor would I want to service my BMW on a shoestring budget, I guess they can't all be bad. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  15. 535i Andrew

You are getting there so that's a start. Most BMW workshops/showrooms are franchises. They are an independent company that just so happens to service/sell BMWs. My local dealer is fine. The reception staff are sound and they will let you speak to the workshop Forman and even the tech if you ask nicely. The dealers get a hard time because they are perceived to be expensive. You don't buy a BMW then try and service/maintain it on a shoe string budget. Yes there are horror stories (some on here) but you never hear about the ones that go normally.
  16. Jameswsb

All M5's are a pain in the arse to shift when cold so wouldn't worry about that. Replacing the main rear bush and linkage assembly will tighten it up nicely, real oem is your friend here. There are split opinions regarding the E60 shifter, if you want easier shifting personally I wouldn't bother as it makes the box noticeably notchier even though throw is reduced.
  17. Spreadly

Nice [emoji1419] Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  18. CS10

Got it booked in, but not for a while as they need it all day and I need a car. If it does happen again though, or remains on, or I notice anything, I've been told to ring them for a emergency appointment. I guess I'll see how it goes, they've got it on record now that I've had a problem from the recall and its booked in for inspection.
  19. I need a driver's side headlight (xenon, facelift with angel eyes) must be OEM/ Hella and in good condition. Crucially the adjusters need to be good. My car has failed its MOT due to broken headlight adjusters and the DIY is too fiddly/ time consuming for me to attempt at the moment. I would consider a pair of headlights at the right price if both were good with working adjusters.
  20. Spreadly

MOT due?

If anyone is in need of an MOT in London, I highly recommend taking your car to Pitstop MOT Centre in NW2. They only do MOTs and no repairs whatsoever, which means they have zero incentive to 'fail' your car in order to make money on any work. I have taken my car there for the past 3 years and they are quick and efficient. They also have a viewing area where you can wait whilst they carry out the MOT, which usually takes around 30-40 mins depending on how busy they are. Should your car fail for whatever reason, they'll advise you on what needs doing, then it's your responsibility to go get it done. You can then bring your car back for a re-test. Check their reviews on Google, you'll see what I mean. [emoji1417] Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  21. Spreadly

Personally, no. I have only ever taken my car to BMW once and that was for a service. I had a service pack from the previous owner so saved around £500 on a major service. I have read some shocking reviews on BMW service centres in London and that is what puts me off. Also, the fact that in London there are only 2 BMW service centres that are actually owned by BMW, the rest are franchises. I also know mechanics who have worked for BMW and some of the stories they have told me about what goes on doesn't leave me which much confidence. I really don't agree with BMW's franchise model and I'm sure they're not the only ones who use that model, but I think every service centre should be BMW direct. We do spend a lot on their cars afterall. Lastly, it's the cost of taking your car to BMW, as opposed to a good independent. Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  22. Matthew Ashton

Why don’t you trust BMW dealers? Have you had a bad experience?
  23. Matthew Ashton

My point was that the fault you saw was for Drive Train and not Drive Chain. Drive Chain is not used to describe any part of your car. Take the car back to BMW and let them hook it up and diagnose the issue. At least then there is a log of this happening rather than just leaving it and trying to come back at BMW sometime later in the future.
  24. MOGGIEMANIA

Driving Comfort Restricted

Hi over the last few days i have been getting a warning sign flash that informs me that my Driving Comfort is Restricted. Any Clues as to what it means? I did change a rear suspension air cone on the off side a couple of weeks ago. last night the left side apperared to be releasing air slower that the sudeen rush you can get. Having said that there does not appear to be any sanging in any one side. The driving does not seen to be effected. Certainly i did not get this warning previously when i knew the offsided was leaking
  25. GoNz0

Cannot figure out issue

Glad they finally registered it, your battery will now fully charge. Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
  26. Mashmanu

The E39 First World Problems thread

Here’s another one. Purple parcel shelf
  27. Bigalamo

Cannot figure out issue

Well lately it has been starting right up with no issues, just afraid it won’t start on a lengthy trip. They brought it to the shop and registered the battery, then ran up a scanner on the OBD. Tons of codes came up with the ECU but he said they may be old ones and they could cause the engine to cut off as a safety precaution. Hopefully those were old uncleared codes, but only time will tell.
  1. Load more activity