All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Boba

Quietest tyres? 2014 F10 M Sport

I’ve been driving for about 55 years including around 20 years when my annual mileage was over 30,000 and I have had 2 punctures which needed an immediate wheel change, none in the last 30-odd years. I’ve had a small handful of slow punctures usually with a nail or similar embedded but none of these needed immediate attention, just reinflation every few days until I got them fixed. So on balance I’d say the chances of getting a puncture which stops you are quite low. Of course YMMV and anyone can get a blowout but I don’t think it’s a huge argument in favour of RoFs. Both my summer and winter sets are RoF as it happens, but that’s just how it worked out rather than a conscious decision. I admit to feeling just a tiny bit more secure though.
  3. Today
  4. Chu

Spotlight fallen in

This is why i pay mechanics
  5. Norseman

E39 Touring handbrake rebuild?

Sounds plausible. Cables under load can stretch over time, it's the nature of the beast. Anyone else formed the same opinion & replaced their cable(s) ? I'm amassing information here as my handbrake will have to be sorted before the next MOT (May '20) as it's bloody useless. How can a respected manuf. like BM come up with such a crap system when the designers of more mundane models get it right ? I'm not in the market for one, but out of curiosity was the problem rectified with later E39's ?
  6. I'll see what I can find out! Another little thing, there should be a towing info/limits sticker. Even though mine has the factory towbar, I can't find this sticker. Does anyone know about this that could tell me where it should be and what it actually is? It's part #6 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=PX92-EUR---E61N-BMW-535d&diagId=71_0445 The instructions seem to suggest it's meant to be on the edge of the spare wheel well (e61), I've nothing at all. Don't mind getting it but no need to b3 wasting money either! I think it should be there, I would have though it to be a rather important sticker (well, the information at least!). Anyone know anything about #7 too?
  7. 535i Andrew

DIY retrofit reversing camera - COMPLETE

Now that is interesting. I wonder if my dad has that feature on his G01 which has the towbar an camera as factory fit? Will I fit this to mine, hmmmm although I'm only 95% of the time ever hitching up to a trailer which I can lift onto the towbar.......decisions.... Thanks or sharing. .
  8. RobM77

I've been driving since 1994 and I think I've had about 3 flats, so they are rare. Two of those flats had an avoidable cause as well so I know they wouldn't happen again. Yes, on each of those occasions I was towed home, popped the winters on and was back at work by lunchtime. However, I'm not sure I can afford winter tyres for this new car, as another set of 19" wheels is going to be very expensive, plus the tyres of course. It was much cheaper on the 16s with 205 tyres at £70 each!
  9. FMIB

Wheel colour for winters.

Another vote for black. I am no fan of black wheels, but my winters are black and on bluestone, they certainly started to grow on me last winter. Will look great with a white body.
  10. Deviant

Spotlight fallen in

Once you do the drivers side, you know what you're doing on the passengers. You don't need to remove the washer bottle.
  11. 535i Andrew

I'm debating that too. Can't decide if I experiment first on my 18" winter tyre set as they will probably need replacing first. As I'm fortunate to have a second set of wheels at home, with my breakdown cover I will always get home to put on a spare set and not be stuck for long. An AA card and a fully charged mobile phone is all you need! Lol.
  12. Chu

Spotlight fallen in

Arrrgh...i removed inner arch working of a trolley jack. See where i went wrong now.
  13. Chu

Spotlight fallen in

Washer bottle on passenger side makes it impossible..i watched the youtube vid... he done the drivers (easy) side.
  14. 535i Andrew

Oil Advice

Agree a 5W-30 with C3 and SN ratings tick the technical boxes of an LL04 oil. The oil Castrol recommended to me, is LL04 and is considerably cheaper than the Shell Helix bang up to date stuff. Both meet the same spec so either is fine and it is down to personal preference to what you do use.
  15. Deviant

Spotlight fallen in

You come up from the bottom, try the driver's side first. you don't even need to take the wheels off, just turn them.
  16. huggy

Rattles and annoying noises

quite cos a 50 grand car should be built with cheapest materials and just sound like a bag of spanners - apart from the engine none of the materials or build quality come anywhere close to Audi so its back to a quattro as soon as its financially viable, once this is 3 years old
  17. Chu

Spotlight fallen in

Spot light in bumper..just tried its a mare. Washer bottle is in the way!tried to move washer bottle but looks a bigger job than i anticipated. Going to book in with indy.
  18. pidgeonpost

3.0CSi at Cotswold BMW

The 'ha ha' was at the thought of your soup predicament, not your bad luck - hope it changes!
  19. Boba

Rattles and annoying noises

First world problems. Buy a Bentley if you want silent transport.
  20. Boba

I chose black for winter. They look fine on my white G31.
  21. DennisCooper

E39 audio upgrade

Hi Barry, There's only a handful of high quality brand 8 channel amplifiers, the Mosconi as mentioned, Helix and JL Audio do them as well with prices from £580 to £1400 - https://www.bassjunkies.com/amplifiers/8-channel.html . If physical space is also a concern then it's unlikely any of these will fit either. The only thing I can think of is to get two four channel small amplifiers and use those? The one I'm thinking of specifically is this one - http://www.teamspb.co.uk/Mosconi-Gladen-D2-100-4dsp-p/mosconid2100.4dsp.htm . These are the smallest dedicated amplifiers I've seen so far, the smaller units being the 'power pack' add on types. The Bluebus does look great and will allow those keeping the OEM system and not going the setup design you are, to have future smartphones work along with the Intravee features. Richard's support is indeed excellent and hopefully, the guy making the Bluebus will offer the same level of support for his product - time will tell of course I like to give big thumbs up and respect for enthusiast like them who make products for our cars at high quality levels ! Cheers, Dennis!
  22. thomp1983

Intake manifold cleaning m47

Those fixings will be fine in a soda bath they'll just go a dull grey colour but as there difficult to remove I'd leave them be. I'd also make your soda bath with boiling water it's so much more effective, but make sure you only add the crystals to the water and not the other way round and find a long stick or something to stir them in with.
  23. oldjohnny

3.0CSi at Cotswold BMW

The term, 'Ageless Classic' is often used for older cars but there is no disputing that it applies 100% to any 3.00CSI. When my ship comes in I would have one of them but with my luck I would be at the airport! Just can't seem to get a break at the moment. If it was raining soup I would be running about with a knife and fork.
  24. Mr H

Black
  25. Miked23

Well manifold is now off as you can see. Before the soda bath, I just want to check whether any of these fittings need removing before doing so??
  26. Keliuss

You might want to research any type of rubber you intend to immerse. Keliuss
  27. RobM77

Thanks, that's interesting. Although I found non-RFTs too bouncy before, that was with a very large sidewall (205/55/16), so I'm wondering if I should give non-RFTs a go with my much slimmer sidewalled tyres. I have good breakdown cover.
  1. Load more activity