• Announcements

• sandip

Email notifications   06/09/2016

We are aware the email notifications are currently not working.  If you require any assistance related to receiving emails, please contact one of the admin team whilst we look to resolve this issue.   If you have any issues verifying your account, please contact one of the team on our Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/forum.bmw5/   Thanks Sandip 
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
straight_6

Getting steering lock off without the key

9 posts in this topic

In order to move the car with no keys, I need the steering lock off, how do you remove the lock barrels on these cars, or take the steering lock off some other way, thanks very much!

i'm fairly sure you need the key in to remove the lock barrel. you do on an e30 anyway.

you can't remove the wheel with the lock on either, so disassembly is less than easy.

Don't know if this is any help, but I think it's the steering wheel that locks on these, not the column. If you don't mind damaging the steering wheel, you could unbolt it, then force it off. It can take a bit of effort, but it can be done. Then remove or disable the spring loaded lock pin to stop it engaging with the cog teeth at the back of the steering wheel.

* this is the Dewhurst method (butchery). There are probably better ways, but I've never had to take a lock barrel off one of these cars.

I know of no easy way of dismantling the steering lock or removing the steering wheel if you don't have the keys. You will need power tools! I've tried before using a lump hammer, chisel and crow bar. Just succeeded in cutting my hands. Ouch.

If you have the V5, the dealer can get you new keys IIRC, problem solved?

you can't remove the wheel with the lock on either

Ummm.... not quite true!

If you don't mind damaging the steering wheel, you could unbolt it, then force it off. It can take a bit of effort, but it can be done.

Yup! Can vouch for that!! :lol:

Don't you just remove the small BMW roundel, and then remove the hex nut beneath that holds the wheel on.?. Might help with access to the locking mechanism - or am I talking sh1t?. :lol:

Don't you just remove the small BMW roundel, and then remove the hex nut beneath that holds the wheel on? ...

You can do this but it's not possible to pull the steering wheel off if the steering lock is on, the thing that locks your steering wheel in place when you remove the key.

Stewart

you can't remove the wheel with the lock on either

Ummm.... not quite true!

If you don't mind damaging the steering wheel, you could unbolt it, then force it off. It can take a bit of effort, but it can be done.

Yup! Can vouch for that!! :lol:

:D

ok, i meant you can't removed the wheel without destroying it in the process!

i used a hacksaw last time :shock:

I got an E28 off some local auction boys years ago for something stupid like £30 including delivery.

It was a runner, but they lost the keys!!

Brute force, a hammer & applied ignorance had the wheel off smartish (I only wanted the car for a few bits & pieces), very little damage to the wheel, the ignition-lock, & steering-lock mech were mullered...!

Eventually had the car driving round the yard!