bobbylee

New Turbo but intermittent Power upon acceleration!?

Hi all,

This has puzzled me for the past 3 months...(should of really got it checked 3 months ago)

My 520D MSport (2008 lci), is driving me crazy!!!!

In November, my Turbo went so i got it remanufactured and replaced...It was fine no problems BUT intermittently when I drive my car...the car struggles for power meaning when I take off in first gear, i could get to around 4000 rpm and my car would still be as slow as the corsa next to me...what i'm trying to say is the pick up speed isn't there...that feeling when you put your foot down in first, second or third gear and the car flies!

On some days it is fine, the car is very fast and i get a response every time i touch my accelerator.

I don't think this is the Turbo as it makes no whistling noises or anything but maybe something is blocked?

Could anyone with expert knowledge shed more light on this?

As mentioned, on some days the car is fine and I can get form 0-40 very quick but other days, I could have my foot flat down and still be struggling to get to 40 in second gear but the revs will be asking me to change to third gear!!!!

But once i'm around 60mph car is very smooth and fast and can get to around 100mph+ without any issues or struggle!

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I can clarify this.

Thank you

Swirl flaps still there?

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

Maybe your car is running a DPF re gen cycle at the time you experience poor performance.

Sounds like my manual car when its in the middle of a re gen, i.e. poor acceleration from standstill and gets bogged down.

I can predict with reasonable accuracy when my 525d is going to run a re gen.

Possibly a turbo actuator. I think it is electronic on your car. I would be after whoever rebuilt it to double check they did they job properly.

Have you scanned for any error codes, I imagine a faulty actuator would generate a code.

Edited by Redtwin

Hello There, Im experiencing exactly the same problems, only difference is my car is a mercedes! Was a proud owner of a BMW 525d until I switched to the dark side worse mistake ever. I agree with RedTwin, Get the car scanned for codes as mine is showing that the boost pressure positioner i.e the Turbo actuator is signalling a fault despite having the whole turbo including the actuator Remanufactured.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I finished work today so I got time to connect an OBDII device to my car (bluetooth version off ebay).
I got 2 codes form the code reader but they are unidentified.

I've done a quick google search and came accross this website that lists exactly what the codes are;

http://www.endtuning.com/obdcodes.html

The codes I got were;

P14A1 - Exhaust Gas Pressure Sensor - Short Circuit to B+

P14A3 - DPF - Plausibility - Pressure Reference

NO ACTUATOR FAULT CODES

I have attached a screenshot of some data retrieved by the software that came on the disc!

Capture.png

Capture2.png

I hope this is more use to you experts than me!

Edited by bobbylee

Disconnect your swirl flaps vacuum hose plug it and drive the car

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

Actually do you have the N47?

YNP

Actually do you have the N47?

YNP

Hey,

Yeh I have the N47...

P.S what do you mean by..."Disconnect your swirl flaps vacuum hose plug it and drive the car" 

Do you mean disconnect the plug and drive without it plugged in?

Not sure if the n47 had the same problem

YNP

Your DPF might be clogging up and the reason might be the exhaust back pressure sensor. Get the sensor and back pressures checked or your DPF filter will block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update,

I cleared the codes and after a week I connected up the Diagnostics and ran the codes again...only the P14A3 - DPF - Plausibility - Pressure Reference

Code came up.

Bit of googling; Plausibility: Pressure of diesel particulate filter implausible to atmospheric pressure or boost pressure.

Looks like I will definitely get the DPF sensor checked out on the weekend! No actuator codes or anything.

Just an update,

I cleared the codes and after a week I connected up the Diagnostics and ran the codes again...only the P14A3 - DPF - Plausibility - Pressure Reference

Code came up.

Bit of googling; Plausibility: Pressure of diesel particulate filter implausible to atmospheric pressure or boost pressure.

Looks like I will definitely get the DPF sensor checked out on the weekend! No actuator codes or anything.

Hey Bobbylee, i'm getting the P14A3 fault code on my 118d, and was just wondering how you got on since your last post on this thread.

Did you get it fixed? what exactly was the problem, and how much did it cost to sort?

Thanks buddy :)