Hods

OBD2 scanner and Torque - Faulty reader or am I doing it wrong?

Morning all.

I ordered a bluetooth OBD2 reader/scanner thingy of fleabay which arrived this weekend. I followed the buying advice on here and bought one UK based, Torque compatible and with a year warranty so hopefully got an OK one.

I have plugged it in fine and three lights flash briefly before settling down to one. My S4 finds the device no problem and I have configured Torque Pro with all the car details fine. When checking the adapter status in Torque everything appears to be connected and the device running as expected but the major error is "Can not communicate with ECU" which means I get no readings at all! I have tried all the combinations of adapter and ignition settings I can think of but no dice.

Do you guys think I have a faulty adapter, weird ECU or am I doing something wrong? I don't want to send the adapter back if its me/my car that's the issue.

My car is a late '02 (post facelift) 530d AC Schnitzer.

Thanks, Hods.

Hmm, sounds weird, normally the thing most people overlook is the fact that you need to pair the adapter *before* starting the app.

If you've got an S4, I guess there's always the possibility that it isn't happy with the newer phone hardware, but I think that unlikely.

If it's an option, here's how I'd troubleshoot. Find a friend who has a different model phone and try the freebie app - or do it the other way round and find another vehicle you can try. You don't have to worry about setting up all the parameters correctly if all you are checking is the connectivity.

You only really have three variables - the phone, the adapter and the car...... use a process of elimination :)

HTH,

S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

As Nomis confirms, it is more likely to be the phone than the scanner.

@TheEnd......your reference to EOBD vs OBD2 is technically correct but kind of irrelevant in this scenario I would suggest, as the interfacing is essentially the same.

The other thing is, the dates are when the various interfaces became *compulsory*, not necessarily when the manufacturers actually started fitting them.

But let's not get hung up on pedantics, won't help the OP.

Cheers guys. I don't know anyone with an e39 so I will try the different phone option first to see if that's the problem and I'll report back.

Sent from my phone using my fingers.

Point I was trying to make is it doesn't have to be another E39, any vehicle with an OBD2 diags port.

You'll almost certainly have to scan for the Bluetooth device again first, but as I said, don't worry about setting a full vehicle profile as all you are trying to do is identify whether it is the phone or the adapter causing the issue. All you need to confirm is whether the phone will establish communications with the ECU via the adapter.

My money's on the phone actually.........

beg borrow  steel :-P  different phone  load free version of torque try again   (htc  android v 2.2 works fine )  so later versions should be fine  but as ever their is all ways  (the sods law factor) with electronic devices  my money's on the phone'  being the prob  I've had problems with various laptops with blue tooth not talking to one device but fine with others check in fones Bluetooth settings to see if you can alter any transfer speeds etc

By way of an update, have tried it with a Samsung tab and the same issue occurs, connects but can't read ecu. All my kit is Samsung home and work so can't try another phone/tab at present.

Just had a thought, my little boy has a cheapy, non Samsung, Android tab, might try that in the morning too.

Yep - eliminate the Samsung devices at this point by trying the boy's phone. 

If that still fails to read the ECU, try another vehicle :)

Remember, it doesn't have to be an E39, any vehicle will do.

What I'll try to do at some point is a series of screenshots showing how mine connects..... can't promise, but I'll see what I can do.

Whereabouts are you btw?

I'll give the other device a try tomorrow. I also have a "spare" mondeo tdci of the same age, no idea if that has an obd2 port but I suspect it may. I'm in North Somerset, 15 miles south of Bristol.

Should have one, have a poke around to the right of the steering column by the pedals. Probably got a clip-on cover that will need popping off.

Be interested to see the outcome of all this.

Would offer to help, bit far to go though .......

I have a note2 and torque pro works fine for me with a bluetooth obd adaptor. I've no idea which one I have but it was a pretty cheap one.

I do remember it not working immediately though, when I first tried it with the free torque app. This was ages ago so I can't remember what I did. When I upgraded to the paid full torque app it connected in no time, I presume some settings were stored and carried over.

However, a few things to try would be:

Ensure that the ignition is on (in second position, not acc but engine run) to ensure the obd is powered up fully.

Exit torque completely, use the menu to leave the app, go to app manager to stop it.

Fire up bluetooth on the phone (if it's not already on).

Pair the phone with the obd adaptor. You may have to input a code (four or five zero's or one's). I can't see any info other than that I've a paired device.

Once it's paired with the phone start torque and go through the connection settings.

Set connection type to bluetooth.

Select the correct obd adaptor from the list of paired devices (mine is called obd2ecu, I'd imagine most have a similar name).

I've set mine to have bluetooth automatically started with the app and yhe attempt faster communication as well.

Leave the app work things out amd set up the link, it might take a while firtlst time around.

Might even be a good idea to exit app and re-start to ensure new settings are used.

I hope this helps. I can't see how a Samsung won't work.

Best of luck with it.

^^

What he said!

When Torque is starting up, there should be 4 little blue icons at the top of the screen which will flash while initialising then remain steady when connected.

From left to right, they are:-

GPS enabled and connected - image of a satellite

Phone/Bluetooth enabled (?) - image of phone

Connection to Bluetooth adapter - diagonal image of adapter

Connection to car ECU - image of car

Not entirely sure about the second icon, will need to check precise function.

It's the behaviour of icons 3 and 4 that we need to get to help further.

S

Tried again over weekend with no joy. Sold the mondeo before I had chance to test so will try and attack the wife's focus later. With regards to the lights I get the all lit except the car icon which just flashes. The checking protocol messages just seem to be on a constant loop. Does anyone know how long the first connection to the ecu should take? Maybe I am being impatient?

Shouldn't take more than a minute, max.

Weird that you are connecting to the BT adapter but not the ECU.

Have you ever had "proper" diag tools working through the E39 OBD2 port?

Can't see what year your car is (in mobile just now) have you got the round 20pin under bonnet as well?

Beginning to look more like the port than the phone or adapter.

Need to eliminate the car by trying another vehicle.......

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Hi. Its definitely taking more than one minute, had it on for about 15mins at least. My car is a very late 2002 so not sure about round connection but not seen one (haven't had the car long). I've not tried anything else in the OBD port, not got anything to try. Could the car have some sort of modified ecu to go with the factory ac schnitzer kit (grasping at straws)

Something really weird for sure. Highly unlikely to be anything to do with the ECU, but need to eliminate the car itself by trying another one.......

There are some Torque settings to do with the protocol, I've never had to mess with them, but it's still not beyond the realms of possibility that it's a speed issue (ie phone too fast).

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Just managed to have a quick dig in Torque....

Go to Settings/OBD2 Adapter Settings then OBD2/ELM adapter and in there is an option to slow down the interface [Disable ELM327 auto timing adjust(slow mode)]. The "help" suggests trying this if you are having trouble communicating with the ECU.

Or try the opposite option above it, and use fast communication.

Still say its weird ........

S

Morning all.

I ordered a bluetooth OBD2 reader/scanner thingy of fleabay which arrived this weekend. I followed the buying advice on here and bought one UK based, Torque compatible and with a year warranty so hopefully got an OK one.

I have plugged it in fine and three lights flash briefly before settling down to one. My S4 finds the device no problem and I have configured Torque Pro with all the car details fine. When checking the adapter status in Torque everything appears to be connected and the device running as expected but the major error is "Can not communicate with ECU" which means I get no readings at all! I have tried all the combinations of adapter and ignition settings I can think of but no dice.

Do you guys think I have a faulty adapter, weird ECU or am I doing something wrong? I don't want to send the adapter back if its me/my car that's the issue.

My car is a late '02 (post facelift) 530d AC Schnitzer.

Thanks, Hods.

Diesels didn't NEED to be OBD2 compatible before 2004

That'll be your problem :)

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

As Nomis confirms, it is more likely to be the phone than the scanner.

@TheEnd......your reference to EOBD vs OBD2 is technically correct but kind of irrelevant in this scenario I would suggest, as the interfacing is essentially the same.

The other thing is, the dates are when the various interfaces became *compulsory*, not necessarily when the manufacturers actually started fitting them.

But let's not get hung up on pedantics, won't help the OP.

mines a dec02 (iirc) and not OBD compatible

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

Hmmm, not sure I agree entirely with you on this one YNP.

Yes, diesels didn't have a *legal* requirement to be OBD2 compliant before 2004, but that doesn't mean any cars before then would be non-compliant. Mine is late 03 and definitely works with Torque and many other similar apps I've messed with.

I'd also be very surprised if BMW would fit the "standard" OBD2-style socket if it weren't OBD2 compliant. I would expect any vehicle fitted with the OBD2-style socket to be OBD2 compliant.

Also, Hods says that he gets the adapter to connect to his phone, which implies that the socket is "live" and delivering at least some of the right signalling.

My money is still on a data rate issue. Would love to have a play myself, bit far to travel though from where I am ...... :(

But, as always, I stand to be corrected :)

S