Sign in to follow this  
simoke

I'm new

Hi guys, been looking at the forum for a couple of weeks now (excellent info and chat) while I've been looking for a 5. Well I've found one and I pick it up Sat morning, can't wait. It's a 2000 530i Sport Auto, I've owned a few 3's before and this is my first 5!

I think I got the car for a reasonable price, but it needs some things fixing, wondering if you guys could shed any light.

[1] The air con unit works fine but the temp up and down buttons for passenger and driver are all split. I've checked an on line parts list and it seems you can buy replacement buttons - but are they easy to replace?

[2] Drivers window has stopped working on the one touch facility. I was wondering if you could just swop the switches round or is it best to source a set of controls?

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Hope to give you an update on the car after the weekend!!

Cheers

Simon

Welcome Simon, glad you like the forum, hopefully its useful to :D

buttons splitting on the climate panel isnt uncommon, Im sure someone will step off the bus soon and help ya out :rolleyes:

nice car choice, youv,e already answered your own questions methinks :P welcome, don,t look that easy to replace them buttons but someone will o done it, try giving the switch a good press see if that works ^_^

There's a few replacement air con panels available on ebay right now, probably easire to swap the whole thing than take one apart and repair.

As for the window problem, mine suffered from exactly the same thing when I went to look at it on the forecourt - but miraculously fixed itself when I went to pick it up!

Mine has stopped working about three times over nearly 3 years now. As Roofer said give it a good thump and hard press ^_^. Welcome to the mad house by the way. Fellie will be inspecting the lights over the next couple of weeks, so best get them changed :P.

Thanks for the friendly replies, had a look on ebay at control units, I guess you're right easier to swop than repair. I'll get the hammer out on the window switch!!

I'll post some pics next week so you can all tell me where I need to be spending more money :P

Cheers

Simon

I'll post some pics next week so you can all tell me where I need to be spending more money :(

spending money on a 5? best ask Roofer, hes got a large bank account leak at the moment :P^_^

I'll post some pics next week so you can all tell me where I need to be spending more money  :D

spending money on a 5? best ask Roofer' date=' hes got a large bank account leak at the moment :):lol: [/color']

:lol::P and loads of luvvley rain bringing loads of lovvely leaks, m5 here we come :D

you sure you and Bigpow not got a scam goin here?

your keepin water offa things, hes pumpin it outta the floor :)

Well guys, picked the car up Saturday. What con I say - fabulous, never owned an auto before but loving every minute of it. Effortless overtaking, very smooth, quiet, comfy etc. everythign I hoped it would be.

Bonus was I got some money knocked off due to the drivers window not working with the one touch - quick chekc when I get back home and I find out it won't work if the door is open. Door shut, one touch works fine - Result!

Already re-done the steptronic so it works the "proper" way round. 10 min job, thanks guys for the pics and step by step guide.

Just need to fix the air con buttons and everything will be great.

Going to try and attach some pics so you guys can tell me what needs doing next!!

Certainly is better, I only drove it "normal" on Saturday but it didn't feel right, swopped it Sunday and the difference is amazing, no need to look down to make sure you've done it right.

Going to try and attach some pics so you guys can tell me what needs doing next!!

looking forward to it, one thing we do well is 'opinionise', to the benefit of all of course ^_^

glad you got the window switch and step sorted, what do they say, the small things in life................ :D

WHooooooooaaaa. Don't do it Si.

Button repair is a synch honest. Steps:

1) Attend stealer - exchange approx £14 earth pounds for replacement button kit (no electricly bits) - note large white streaks on panel designed to prevent you using the panel as a swop. Try and go for a discount on it as the parts guys usually think it's a flawed part.... just say you need the buttons, so don't mind if they knock a fiver off it! :D Worked for me like a charm. :D

2) Use finger-nail to lever busted button out of panel, bottoms out first :wacko: . Don't worry - it's easy.

3) Lever matching replacement out from the new panel.

4) Insert top of new button in hole. Push home! Some of the ones with triangular bits take a wee bit'o'wiggling, but not difficult.

10 mins later, a happy punter.

Cheers DaveA,

Picked the panel up this morning, BMW must have got wise to the scam, the packaging now clearly states it's for sale of buttons not the panel :( I'll fit them later tonight.

Absolutely loving the 5 so far, I've also got an E30 320is which you really need to "drive" to get the most out of it. The 530 is far more relaxed which makes a pleasant change.

Want to post some pics but do I need to be able to host them myself or is there somewhere that could do it for me? I need you all to tell me what changes to the lights I need!! :rolleyes:

I'll move off the newbie place now.

Thanks again for all your help/

Simon