tristan

Coding ipod/ Removing multichanger in e60

Anyone got an easy way to do this?

From what I can see I think it's held in at the top by some bolts that can't be accessed without striping the whole glovebox to bits. I've removed the glovebox lid but the internal plastics seem to cover the fixings.

Anyone done this n can give me a quick solution please?

Edited by tristan

Ok so now I've managed to physically fit the unit it doesn't fackin show up on idrive and the cd multichanger options have disappeared.

Anyone localish able to do it? Or perhaps Jimmy can finish installin his software on my laptop n give me a spastics DIY coding guide?!

your live in no mans land... lol...

I only know Blood on here who does the coding - but he is in Essex

how comes you didnt go for a dension gateway 500?

Simply down to cost. I won this interface for £92 delivered and thought it'd be plug n play. Tryin to avoid shelling out another couple hundred to get it working.

If you had a working auto changer, it should just plug in and work. I know it still displays as CD1-CD6, CD1=Playlists, CD2=Artists etc..

Edited by Blobby

Bah, just seen this thread... I see you had trouble removing it too lol.

You've got the cable and software, you're 80% there! May as well make use of it Tris, otherwise you'd have bought it for no reason...

Lol, thought I'd google it and came back to a thread I've seen before! Looks like it has everything you need, just watch that youtube video again so you get a feel for what you need to do, the rest should be straightforward, even if you're not a computer geek!

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/70687-really-fed-up-help-with-ncs-expert-please/

So basically, add mp3, add ipod, remove cdc, and code 4(?) modules. Job done

Edited by Baus

Lol, thought I'd google it and came back to a thread I've seen before! Looks like it has everything you need, just watch that youtube video again so you get a feel for what you need to do, the rest should be straightforward, even if you're not a computer geek!

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/70687-really-fed-up-help-with-ncs-expert-please/

So basically, add mp3, add ipod, remove cdc, and code 4(?) modules. Job done

Always code the CAS too because that module handles power flow and delivery amongst other things.

This shit is way too complicated for a 'tard like me! I can do pretty much everythin on a car except computer shit!

Tryin to download that ISTA p as told it's easy click n run. Failing that I'll plug in ncs n try not to break it

Guess I was lucky that mine just worked? Apparently if the car will play a MP3 CD in the dash they are already coded.

How would I know if a cd is mp3 or not. All the CDs I have are are ones I bought, might any be mp3 as I want to see if my in dash CD player plays mp3 before I bid on a bmw iPod interface.

As above I'm ok with mechanics & normal electrical stuff but this type of thing is too techy for me. To me a cd is just that put it in and play it. All these different formats of burning CDs I don't get.

Thanks

Simon

The only MP3 cd's I have are those I burned myself to use in my old car. Don't think over the counter ones are MP3?

My pre-LCI plays burned MP3 discs in the CD and DVD slots, I think the capability is dependent on build date/software version rather than facelift.

If the CD changer no longer works now and you haven't actually changed anything with the coding then it could simply be a matter of the plug not being seated properly in the back of the changer.

You remembered to have a disc in the CD slot, yes?.

I can understand the frustration. I bought a Grom USB unit off a forum member (different forum) and had a headache trying to get it to work. Tried every combination of coding I could find and it wasn't having it. In the end I gave up and put the CD changer back in.

Interesting stuff Red. When you plugged in the grom did you loose cd1-6 off the idrive menu? Mine has disappeared and tried putting the cd changer back but they didn't reappear.

No, they were still there, just greyed out.

Very strange that yours have gone. I would remove the changer and check the connection in the back. 

You could also try resetting the iDrive. I think you have to hold down both eject buttons and press the volume knob in for a few seconds.

Well I got the software loaded up and have spent a couple hours sat in the car with the laptop.

I just about figured how to use inpa to read and clear errors but I have absolutely no clue at all how any other programmes work or how to read modules and code them. Tried reading up on them and watchin YouTube videos but none it makes any sense to me. Guess I'm too old n stupid for this shit!

NCS has a bit of a learning curve to it, and it always makes me nervous messing with the coding for fear of "bricking" a module. I found the following guides really useful. 

HOW TO CODE WITH NCS EXPERT.pdf

NCS TUTORIAL.pdf

USING NCS TO CHANGE VO.pdf

NCS_DIY.pdf

This is a spreadsheet (I think that's what they are called) of various things that can be coded with NCS. Some features are dependent on the year of your car.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AteH6s-0bEGKdGx0WVdQejFMeGd2TkNiSl9PRHlrZHc&authkey=CNPs2ucN&hl=en&authkey=CNPs2ucN#gid=0

I did the one that shows the fan speed indicator when in auto mode. I tried the one to remove the AM band option but had no success with it. I also disabled Neutral Idle Control in the gearbox module, but haven't had any noticeable effects so not sure if that one worked or not.

Edited by Redtwin

Thanks Red that's just the kinda idiots guides I was needing! Going to have another of tomorrow, I might not get done what I need but if I can pull off a couple things in those PDFs then it's a lot more than what I'm able to now