stevewilley

knocking noise front suspension E39 experts ?

23 posts in this topic

annoying hollow sounding knocking noise going at low speeds over potholes or uneven surface sounds n/s front to me ?

had the car in a number of times where a pry bar has been used to check all bushes and ball joints etc... even loading the wheel back up on the car lift to check , both front suspension units have been removed (to fit new arms banana upper arms replaced along with brakes)

they removed as they could not drop the hub , but this confirmed that the upper mounts were OK on the shocks car drives fine and i hear the noise more when cold ? it steers drives and stops fine and only hear the sound at low speeds over uneven surface etc..

so brakes , new arms and bushes , upper mounts good and every bloody arm ball joint had pry bar on it and the garage has siad everything is good ?

so given the above is there a common issue that affects E39's like this even though a mechanic cannot find fault ?

I used to have a lot of low speed front end knocking on my car which was a lot worse when the car had been parked up for a while and was even worse when the weather was cold.

I renewed the control arms, which got rid of the steering shake when braking but not the knocking, I also replaced the arb links and bushes but nothing got rid of the knocking.

Then I put 2 new Continental tyres on the front to replace the old Dunlop SP's that were on it when I got the car and the noise all but disappeared! :-P I still hear a slight knock occasionally but it's nowhere near as bad.

How replacing 2 tyres stopped what sounded like a steering or suspension noise I don't know but it definitely did.

Hope this helps

I had this on my old C70 and it turned out to be the rubber strut top mount!

Good chance its the drop links

Not too £££ a job either

For me, that hollow knocking sound was the ARB bushes.  Replaced with powerflex.

The originals really didn't look too bad at all - wouldn't have thought they were the problem, but they were.

Edited by jonbill

I had exactly what you describe and did much of the same to find problem.  It passed a couple of MOTS before I found what it was - ARB drop links.  They don't seem to have play in them that you can detect when installed.  How I found it was I developed a squeek underneath when turning the sterring wheel at low speed which I could trace to the drop link.  I pulled the link off and sure enough it was buggered.  I changed both with BMW parts for about 50 quid - did th ejob myself - very straightforward.

No clunks now.

Car is a 2003 530i with 85,000 miles.  I first noticed the clunk when I bought the car at 55,000 miles so I had been trying for 30,000 miles to find problem!

ARB links should be checked with the vehicles weight on the wheels and ARB bushes with the wheels hanging down <br />

<br />

<br />

YNP<br />

<br />

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

more volume on the stereo?

I have the same sort of knocking - This ^^ works for me!!

I have clunks/knocking now from rear PS mostly but realistically from all four corners - just worse on rear. could the clunk be rear droplinks? I tried to find play in suspension but couldn't see or move any of the significant suspension components. it would be great if all this bloody clunking could be fixed by simple droplinks - should i change the arb bushes at same time - front and rear for good measure?

also - is it worth bmw premium or cheaper ones ok - what do people recommend?

Thanks and I'll add this job to my replacement discs service - when and if I ever get the time before Winter!

You can remove the drop links completely and take the car for a careful drive - if the clunking is gone then it's either the drop links or the arb bushes.

However, in my experience this is just one of many parts that can wear out, all components will wear over time (rather than just suddenly fail) and a complete overhaul can be the only way to rid yourself of clonks. A knock I have at the rear was the 'bottom balljoint' which is cheap to buy but quite involved to fit and you'll need a special tool.

Another vote for ARB links.   Both front wheels need to be off the ground to check properly.

Also, pos damper on the way out?  Had that before too.

I had all this, plus more! As per above, it could be anything!

I had a horrible creaking when it all got hot under the bonnet. The "experts" said top mounts. Wrong. All arms and ball joints etc replaced.....made no difference. Drop links, which were obviously worn and changed....no difference. It turned out to be the front shocks! Problem solved. Everyone I consulted, including a BMW technician said that shocks couldn't creak....all wrong!

I then got a knocking at low speed. Total bummer. The only things which I hadn't changed were the arb bushes and track rod ends. The track rod ends appeared and felt firm and play free, as they should, but I changed them anyway...problem solved.

I then failed an mot for a mullered rear drop link, yet it made no noise.

Cars can be a pain. There's such a lot that can make a noise.

something similar on mine made an awful rattle, every time you jack car up you can't find it because of the weight on them, just had one side drop link  done and it's now perfect !!

Edited by snowshredder

I just recently had another bloody knock from the front when the weather was hot. It sounded like a stone being shaken in a mug!

I suspected arb bushings, but my gut instinct said not....after 4.5 years with a car you get a bit of a feel for it....

It was making the same noise before I changed the track rod ends a year ago, yet I couldn't believe that they'd be worn out in a year, so I replaced what they were screwed onto....the centre drag link (only on V8s have these I think, due to them having a steering box). Only one ball joint on the drag link appeared worn, but it caused a knock!

If anyone ever changes this part on their V8, please take this advice....as I learned the hard way and spent more time than needed under my car......

BUY THE ORIGINAL BMW PART....NOT A CHEAPER COPY!!!

My cheaper copy was too long and my car couldn't be tracked. the BMW part was £247. A very big "ouch", but after the grief that I went through, more than worth it!

I have an annoying rattly knock on the front passenger side. . Sounds kinda like the under tray rattling, which it could be but I reckon drop links, might just change tgem anyway. 153k miles is gpod going out of any suspension parts I reckon!