RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

It's just come off the trolley jack there, it will settle,,,,I hope!

Edit, I'm actually wondering if the lighter M52 engine is making it sit higher?

I'm sure it will

Sarne has the same issue

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

I will consider it but don't want to lose any ride comfort. It needs new front shocks soon which I have already bought so may as well do the springs at the same time. Any suggestions as to what brand and how much to take it down by? don't really want to mess with the rear sls but I am happy with the rear height anyway

Edited by jamesf

Looks similar to how my tds sits, i want to get the nose down, back looks fine.

I drove it, cursed the wobble/vibration, cursed the autobox for not dropping into gear, and also dropping out of gear.

I will consider it but don't want to lose any ride comfort. It needs new front shocks soon which I have already bought so may as well do the springs at the same time. Any suggestions as to what brand and how much to take it down by? don't really want to mess with the rear sls but I am happy with the rear height anyway

I like my Spax setup. I may pull the spring pads out in front though because I already want a wee bit more drop in the front and that's before the (same) engine swap.

3D23724B-5220-4C4F-8E62-4C04860CF6D9-163

How much did that lower the car in mm? That's maybe a bit low for my preference

How much did that lower the car in mm? That's maybe a bit low for my preference

Honestly, I'm not sure. They were used when I bought them and I didn't get the specs. For comparison, a before/after pic:

5086AE17-7DD2-42A1-924F-4CD8E690CA9D_zps

Changed the skanky clutch reservoir & supply pipe.

Out with the old:

post-40578-0-02641000-1394117815_thumb.j

post-40578-0-01464500-1394117806_thumb.j

In with the new (well sort of-spares from my old scrapped 525i cleaned up!):

post-40578-0-31265700-1394117825_thumb.j

post-40578-0-80669500-1394117799_thumb.j

Gripping stuff eh!  :lol:

It's the details that make or break a car from being considered as one to be admired

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well not today,last sat'day to be precise

Brought the car out of its winter coma about four weeks ago. After the usual phaffing about it does after a moderately long lay up i got it to run but not very nicely.  After using it that day it obviously was not right so i parked it and left it cos i just could'nt be dealing with the cold at that particular time.

Fast forward a week or so later, weather much better so i tried again. It was even worse popping and banging,hesitation,stinking of fuel and poor part throttle response,just horrible. So i gave up and headed for home but not before an almighty backfire that changed the exhaust note making me think i had blown the backbox internally.

The poor running turned out to be a massive air leak on the inlet manifold,one that had occurred in the same place some years ago. sorted that out easily and quickly but that exhaust sounded horrible.  I was forced to investigate.

Took the car into graft last weekend,removed the rear bumper and this is what greeted me....

post-32500-0-67427500-1394128802_thumb.j

Oh dear

This seems to be the area that they always seem to go,i believe due to the proximity to the inside of the bumper which seems to hold moisture causing the exhaust to sweat.

This particular exhaust came off an e32 found in a breakers and was original BMW. I shortened it 4" overall 2" off the tail pipes and 2" off at the center join. It was practically new when i aquired it being perhaps 6-12mths old and its been on my car at least 6 yrs. Other than the blown section the rest of it is in a fair condition.

No choice but to repair. used 2,5mm mild steel to patch.

post-32500-0-41935600-1394129014_thumb.j

post-32500-0-31621200-1394129105_thumb.j

post-32500-0-22878400-1394129248_thumb.j

Not the neatest repair as the welder is temperamental and the area wasn't quiet clean enough,but as a temp repair no one's gonna see it will suffice.

Also found one of the collars had fractured on the front downpipe section, so had to drop it off the manifold and repair that too. Opportunity was also taken to renew the down pipe securing nuts which are M8 and rust easily to the studs that could/would snap causing a world of problems. The 'hot' spanner assisted in this area.

Here's a shot of the exhaust refitted.

post-32500-0-35139800-1394129834_thumb.j

I'm expecting 18mths more from it then i'll have to decide whether to go bespoke stainless or Oem. For what they are Oem are very good imo, if a little heavy and they flow reasonably well. I'm not sure about stainless as some i've heard can sound tinny and i cant stand boom,something non oem items suffer with.

I could have just sourced a new system but the three hrs it took to repair saved me a bundle that will be used for the imminent rear sill repair.

Here It Is after a wash

post-32500-0-51981300-1394132465_thumb.j

post-32500-0-06252400-1394132537_thumb.j

This weekend will see it hit the highways for a damn good run. can hardly wait!

Well done on patching the exhaust up, very cost effective, a man after my own heart.

Used my E34 as my daily all this week and completely in love with it still :)

My M635CSi is at the end of it's costly mid-life restoration and once that's done the E39 Alpina will get some fettling to suspension and bodywork before the E34 gets a rest and some last retro-fits.

Would love to see some pics of the 6 series. Something I want to add to the collection one day.

I'm sure it will

Sarne has the same issue

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Yes mine is sitting a bit higher at the front than I would like, due in part to the alloy block and removing all the aircon bits. I'm happy with the Eibach Springs so when I change the damper inserts in the next week or 2 (1 is minus all it's oil) I will look at cutting the spring platform off and welding on 1/2" lower as there is room above the tyre.

James yours is looking very sharp in the before and after pics 8). That reminds me I haven't washed mine since November, about 10k miles ago eek!

I carried out repairs from the grand children in the car.  So far I have repaired the phone mount removed the led lights on the passengers side and found they will not work.  So will have to get new ones or close the ones on the drivers side.  Tomorrow I will work on the arm rest they messed up.  

MOT- Failed on two broken rear springs :-(

2 hartge rear lowering springs installed to match the ones up front, two new shocks = 1 years ticket. 

But advisories as follows:- 

photo-001_zpsfae49e4a.jpg

Highest priority will be the diff and gearbox I think, but the sill covers are coming off tomorrow

Poor old girl, despite her good looks she is getting on in years........ 

MOT- Failed on two broken rear springs :-(

2 hartge rear lowering springs installed to match the ones up front, two new shocks = 1 years ticket. 

But advisories as follows:- 

photo-001_zpsfae49e4a.jpg

Highest priority will be the diff and gearbox I think, but the sill covers are coming off tomorrow

Poor old girl, despite her good looks she is getting on in years........ 

they failed  mine last year on split dust covers ...  glad you got the ticket :-P              

Finally fixed the smashed window on the car...

ydaje3a6.jpg

jyvusaqy.jpg

Tomorrow I'll be mostly removing the contents from under the rear seat to get to some of the glass I couldn't reach today... And to make sure the wiring is sound along with rewiring my aftermarket alarm to trigger the deadlocks :-)