RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

This morning, despite the car not getting as far as the MOT yet, I decided to have a go with some new detailing products that I bought to celebrate getting the car on the road. First I snow foamed, then rinsed, then snow foamed and hand washed then rinsed again then dried. Next I removed all the tar using Autosmart Tar-dis, Fantastic stuff. The next stage was only done on the left side of the car it's all I had time to do. I used a clay-bar to thoroughly decontaminate the paint then set to work with my DA polisher using my new Meguires microfiber cutting pad which got rid of all swirls and small scratches and reduced the severity of the heavier scratches. After that I finished up with Klass sealant.

Snowfoaming

DSCF1678_zps2841d44c.jpg

Scratches before

DSCF0845_zps905b7b3d.jpg

DSCF1681_zpsdc550aef.jpg

DSCF1686_zpse73be6cb.jpg

DSCF1682_zps872845d3.jpg

DSCF1683_zps203ce24c.jpg

DSCF1685_zps1940d565.jpg

Edited by jamesf

I took the car for a ride with my son his wife and grand kids in the car. Forgetting the kids like to stamp in mud and they brought mud into the car.  But all was good still need to check out the sound system and adjust the bass

Finally managed to take the e34 for a good drive now its back on the road with the m44 engine in. Drives so much better than it did with the 8 valve in. Really happy with it. Got to tidy the wiring loom up as soon as ive "aquired" some heat shrink from work :) and sort the temp sender out as thats not working either. So technically I now have a 518is lol

Finally managed to take the e34 for a good drive now its back on the road with the m44 engine in. Drives so much better than it did with the 8 valve in. Really happy with it. Got to tidy the wiring loom up as soon as ive "aquired" some heat shrink from work :) and sort the temp sender out as thats not working either. So technically I now have a 518is lol

Any pics of the swap? Nice work

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Drove the iX round the South of England and through the effing rain for hours, thankfully all went well.

Collected an Oris towhook on the way back, see below.

Just got to fit the towbar and electrics now.

post-40085-0-81589200-1393800436.jpg

Gave mine a wash; cursed 19 year old brittle plastic some more; and generally stared at pdc wiring some more

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Any pics of the swap? Nice work

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

Not yet sorry. it still needs some tarting up to make it look pretty but is a fully useable car again now. Will get some up as soon as ive had chance to finish it all off

Sitting in garage as I write this, emmissions passed after fitting a new lambda sensor, just waiting to see what the MOT throws at me now, stand by....,,,,

It feels good, definitely more torque at lower revs. Gave it a good blast in sport mode prior to the emissions check and it overtakes swiftly. Still a bit noisy and rattly in comparison to the E38 :-(

Replaced jubilee clips on fuel filter [leaking], replaced belt tensioner and replaced the front centre tie rod.

Use hose clamps not jubilee clips.

Had a bit of a run at the old bird! New starter motor, wheel bearing, radiator and ARBs!! Just need to sort the slight miss on it now and she will be good as gold (touches wood)!

It's just come off the trolley jack there, it will settle,,,,I hope!

Edit,  I'm actually wondering if the lighter M52 engine is making it sit higher?

Edited by jamesf