RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Nearly two hours of arseing around with a non-functioning main beam; a dodgy wire, very corroded contact and blown bulb all hiding behind a very, very corroded and seized main cap.

On 20/04/2018 at 11:47 AM, sharkfan said:

Nearly two hours of arseing around with a non-functioning main beam; a dodgy wire, very corroded contact and blown bulb all hiding behind a very, very corroded and seized main cap.

Those caps can seize on :huh: I feel your pain. 

Spent a few more hour scrubbing the interior, removed rear bumper, found some rot on the rear panel, found fuel tank vapour pipes need replacing, ordered a cps n hopefully will cure the coughing n farting n spluttering, been at it 2 days now. She’s a very dirty girl! 

I might start a thread in the project section 

Edited by TerryTibbs

Glued the bit of door card trim back onto the inside of the drivers door as it was flapping about. Seats just need a clean and interior is spot on. 

Well it wasn't today but I replaced all 4 control arms, the rocker cover gasket and spark plugs. Next on the to do list are the dog bones on the rear. It will be interesting to see the difference in the handling as I thought it was pretty good before.

AC re-charged today, not bad for 23 years old but not as impressive as the 33 year old M635CSi AC still working... which is also lame compared to the 36 year old moon mileage and six year stood neglected 635CSi AC still working :)

Fitted a new rear suspension Top Mount and Boge damper strut to my 1996 Touring. Slapped some waxoyl on the brake lines while I was there. Will do the other side tomorrow. 

The top mounts were badly worn, but they were the original units so lasted well, really.  The original Boge struts seem ok too but I'm replacing them anyway, with Boge units again.

IMG_20180427_161311886.jpg

Started on the drivers side rear strut yesterday, eventually got it off today (bottom pin was Very tight,  BFH got lots of use).... Then found that the spring was broken :(

It was hidden round the back so I hadn't ordered new ones, thats another job for Monday then...

S6002695.JPG

While poking about under the OS rear wheelarch (E34 Touring), found a leaky metal pipe, attached to rubber tube that goes up to the bottom of the plastic expansion tank...

It doesnt seem to be pressurised.

I'm struggling to identify it on the OEM pictures...

Any advice on where the metal pipe goes, how long it is, function and how to replace it or fix the leak?

Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section, maybe a moderator could move it to the right one ?

S6002698.JPG

2 hours ago, RonB said:

While poking about under the OS rear wheelarch (E34 Touring), found a leaky metal pipe, attached to rubber tube that goes up to the bottom of the plastic expansion tank...

It doesnt seem to be pressurised.

I'm struggling to identify it on the OEM pictures...

Any advice on where the metal pipe goes, how long it is, function and how to replace it or fix the leak?

Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section, maybe a moderator could move it to the right one ?

S6002698.JPG

Those are the fuel tank breather pipes ... The front and back breather pipes are around £25 each with the little rubber hose from BMW.

You can replace those, while the tank is still connected to the motor .. But you would need to lower the  tank to gain access to the lines.   

Had a problem with the car being reluctant to start and a strong smell of petrol.

decided to change the fuel filter and the hoses at the same time. When I jacked the car up petrol dripped onto the road.

The picture are the main supply line from the pump to the filter.

once it started it ran fine, although with the new pipes it is quieter and the throttle response seems better - wonder why....

1989 vintage fuel pipes should not be trusted. Probably should do the front pipes next but they are dry and crack free at the moment.

on another note should hit 200000 miles this afternoon.

5F485EF0-A25E-444D-9314-EC8D2D62BD31.jpeg

A551174A-EC5F-49A7-A8A1-43E67BB3431F.jpeg

Edited by gilescooperuk

On 4/29/2018 at 7:52 PM, RonB said:

Started on the drivers side rear strut yesterday, eventually got it off today (bottom pin was Very tight,  BFH got lots of use).... Then found that the spring was broken :(

It was hidden round the back so I hadn't ordered new ones, thats another job for Monday then...

S6002695.JPG

Got the replacement springs :) & fitted the drivers side, no problems.

Then went back to the one I did Friday; once i'd removed the lower bolt, the joint came off with finger pressure - nice one !

The new springs are maybe 1/8th inch shorter than the old ones(just under 14 inches), but when fitted they're undercompression anyway, so assume this makes no difference. 

Both Top Mounts were knackered in the same way, with the struts trying hard to burst through; clearly long over due for replacement. 

Car rides sooooo much quieter now :D

S6002704.JPG

S6002707.JPG

S6002709.JPG

On 4/29/2018 at 11:19 PM, Carl-e34 said:

Those are the fuel tank breather pipes ... The front and back breather pipes are around £25 each with the little rubber hose from BMW.

You can replace those, while the tank is still connected to the motor .. But you would need to lower the  tank to gain access to the lines.   

Thanks, now I'm wondering why these are metal pipes, seems to be asking for corrosion - could they be switched for rubber fuel hose, which seems to be a lot cheaper, even when it's braided?

S6002700.JPG

10 hours ago, RonB said:

Thanks, now I'm wondering why these are metal pipes, seems to be asking for corrosion - could they be switched for rubber fuel hose, which seems to be a lot cheaper, even when it's braided?

S6002700.JPG

You can use rubber or braided for the breathers with no issues :) 

On 29/04/2018 at 11:19 PM, Carl-e34 said:

Dropped fuel tank down just enough to replace the corroded breather pipes, pick some new pipe up tomo, had air line connected to purge fuel lines and check the fuel pressure reg was functioning and it is so fingers crossed the new fuel pump will cure it!

I replaced my ns dipped beam glass, without removing the headlight itself...

A year or two ago a stonechip turned to a crack, I taped it,  then later it turned into about 8 taped cracks ...

The clear tape held it all together for a while (and amazingly got it through two MOTs) but it needed doing.

Found a glass-only with the right codes in Latvia (!) for £6.99 (!!) and £6 delivery(!!!) so I thought it's worth a try, if it didnt work I could still go the full cost route, even those are cheaper than "modern" car light units.

Here's pics of the light with all the broken bits prised off and cleaned up

I used butyl adhesive sealant, works fine.

run out of allowed space for photos, guess I shoulda cut the file sizes down, doh!

IMG_20180403_161140449.jpg

IMG_20180403_161647663.jpg

IMG_20180403_161721227.jpg

last thursday morning I thought it was a bright idea to replace the front droplinks with Meyle HD items and look at the offside track rod, even though I'm sure I fitted some Meyle standard items last year at some point one felt quite loose.

the inner taper totally defeated me!!! so I fitted the outer 2/3rds and drove to scotland and back.

I now have other small rattles and a thump I can't find but its no longer a wandery Bastard!

Finished machine polishing it and put some hydrophobic coating on it. Looks smart now. Just need to sort the wheels out