RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Took off all the stone gaurd from the rear passenger wheel arch to clean up some possible rust on the inner lip of the wheel arch....turned out to be naff all. Got to do the other side too.

Changed Clutch Slave Cylinder for the 3rd time, seems all pattern ones are shite, probably all from the same factory just in different boxes Febi, Delphi etc. Original did 224k, then changed again at 270k and now at 325k, at least they're easy enough to change.

Also changed front wheel bearing which was an MOT advisory in September, just a bit noisy. Found the inner race of the inner bearing had a notch in it....

bearing.jpg

Finally can get in the drivers door as I fitted the replacement handle. It took a locksmith over a day to swap the barrels as they were so worn a lot of the barrel had to be rebuilt.

only problem was the gasket in the trim plate disintegrated so it is currently missing whilst I wait for a new one to be delivered... should have ordered them earlier.

fitted a pair of uniroyals a few weeks back, feels much better.

today I had it on the lift and removed the crusty steel on the sill, need to get a repair panel.   also dropped the headlinings and the sunroof cartridge in an attempt to get it working and also stop leaking.

failed on the first count and the second I wil find out when I next park it outside, in the meantime I need a new headliner as the cloth has come away, and I broke the sunroof switch...

Both motors work fine but seems the mechanism is just seized.

Also have a clunk I cannot find anywhere, and an MOT due in two weeks.

25 minutes ago, welshpug said:

fitted a pair of uniroyals a few weeks back, feels much better.

today I had it on the lift and removed the crusty steel on the sill, need to get a repair panel.   also dropped the headlinings and the sunroof cartridge in an attempt to get it working and also stop leaking.

failed on the first count and the second I wil find out when I next park it outside, in the meantime I need a new headliner as the cloth has come away, and I broke the sunroof switch...

Both motors work fine but seems the mechanism is just seized.

Also have a clunk I cannot find anywhere, and an MOT due in two weeks.

Common E34 problem with the headliner, so nothing to be surprised about....I got the same problem. Have you actually taken it out, and if so, does it come out from the rear door, because I've read somewhere that front or rear windscreen needs to be removed?

As for availability, I'm pretty sure the headliners are no longer in production, so your only option is to re-trim it with a closely matching cloth.

It's done. Early November saw all sill welding completed. Turned out a real mission overall in the end although I did quite enjoy it. Made a change to the usual humdrum of the daily graft.

Still a few areas to tidy but pretty much ready to seal. Unfortunately but realistically it's going to want at least both sides of the car painted, so more than likely a full respray.

Not quiet as 'neat' In places as I'd of liked but its more than acceptable for this level of car, and given the level of corrosion cut out the only other option would have been to break it. 

Here's some shots. N/s first

20171121_202255.jpg

ready to close up

20171121_203824.jpg

BH dynax s50 applied carefully avoiding areas to weld

20171121_184357.jpg

Join ready for welding 

20171122_220145.jpg

All fitted cleaned off and primed. Note location of lifting pad...

Edited by FIVE-OH

On to th o/s

A bit more tricky since the tinworm had spread a bit further.

20171128_202438.jpg

20171206_190715.jpg

20171206_191139.jpg

20171206_203040.jpg

20171206_215300.jpg

All ready for a quick skim of filler to finish. 

I'm debating which underseal system I'm going to use. There seems to be so many choices on the market but the gravitex system looks good but I think gives a 'hard' finish. The dinitrol system seems a good product particularly the wax for box sections but the 3m whilst superb is also very expensive. We'll see about that in the new year.

Also fitted new rear drain tubes. Fitted them so they go down to the bottom of the sill, so the water has more chance to escape. As standard the drain tubes sit at least 6-8" above the bottom of the sill so the water goes everywhere. Incidentally it's a fair amount of water the flows through these pipes during even moderate rainfall.

20171223_121253.jpg

So it waits... so much more to do. Still a way to go but the hard work is done....

Removed the bumper trims, wiper arms, wiper scuttle and head light surrounds and primed them up to repaint black. Hopefully this will give the car a fresh new look. Still need to do the door trims and the lower sill area black too. 

On 27/12/2017 at 3:25 PM, FIVE-OH said:

On to th o/s

my touring needs similar but much less extensive doing, only just as far as the jacking point from the rear edge by the look of it, were they Genuine BMW panels you used?

49 minutes ago, welshpug said:

my touring needs similar but much less extensive doing, only just as far as the jacking point from the rear edge by the look of it, were they Genuine BMW panels you used?

Yes, genuine OEM

As you'd expect a very high quality item capable of covering all needs. Usually back order but at most about a week from Germany. If the corrosion is not severe then perhaps the klokk panel may be suitable but tbh you don't get anywhere near the versatility of the BMW item.

thanks for the input, very much appreciated, I found the post from a while back about the Klokk panels and the supplier mentioned is actually in the same town as me and are going to get a price and availability when they start up the new year in a few days, I got a reply within a  few minutes via FB messenger on their page a few days ago.

Repaired the centre dash air vent again, and once again marvelled at the E34's build complexity and quality. It is deviously hard to get out, equally hard to get back in, and if you do need to replace it make sure you get the right part number as there are three different types; non-AC, AC, and Auto AC.

Refitted all the black plastic trim to the bumpers and grill as they had some love. Then clay bar'd it ready for machine polishing in a few weeks.

New auxillary belt tensioner spring/damper fitted end of last week, such a difference!  I thought there was a component grumbling or whining away, but it was just the belt not tight enough and bouncing about!

took the rear section of the exhaust off and welded up a few holes, amused to see an oem silencer still on there with a stainless tailpipe, but the weld to the mild steel aluminiumised box was almost rotten through, as was the bracket to it!  added some bits of plate to the bracket and two new rubbers and its solid again now, one clunk isolated!

just another thump to find which I suspect is the axle bushes, which I have done before, 52k miles ago!

MOT runs out today too.

Evicted unwelcome guests and discovered a coolant leak. New rad needed so I might as well replace all of the hoses as well.

The mice had built two nests, one in the bonnet lining and one in the heater fan. The fan killed one mouse and the engine took care of the other. 

19D913E2-B352-4F9A-983E-21F599B28FD6.jpeg

C781AEAC-A22D-443E-87D7-F44BE8BEDBDF.jpeg

60520BF6-3BB3-48A0-A61B-ECD54047D1DE.jpeg

8617DAE2-ECBB-45CD-8BA2-DB1532D1EC51.jpeg

2917CCF7-98B5-4E1C-8B74-1E3E336E7D18.jpeg

After winter it's time for some love, I've known for a couple of months the NSF damper, lower control arm and track rod end were all shot, and the wheel was starting to flap around like a caster on a shopping trolley !  So got some Bilstein B8's, top mounts and the arm and rod end.

As all the front suspension was off I decided to give it all a good jet wash, then thought I would have poke around at some suspect looking bits of underseal, oh well time to get the welder out again, both sides the same, holes going through into chassis rails etc...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Also some in the rear arches which I'll be saving for another day...

image.jpg

Finally got round to doing the rear axle bushes with the Tool I had made, the Neilsen kit I bought on Ebay didn't have anything that would have removed the bush even though the description stated it was a removal/installation kit covering the E34, but still  at least it had some useful lumps of metal and the draw bars and nuts.

40285198225_0e191c07ab_z.jpg20180331_150421

40468184614_fca93f5f74_z.jpg20180331_144952

26308485387_344c12d63e_z.jpg20180331_163837

the ones I fitted at 74k when I bought the vehicle were only cheap GSF supplied things, though the Meyle HD items I fitted were very little more at all, £20 the pair or so!

40285200205_4f1f44bc9d_z.jpg20180331_150433

All in it didn't take long at all, the bonus of having a 2 poster ramp to hand, hopefully I wont need the tool again but its in the toolbox just in case!  (just passed 129k this week)

new tyres all round. changed the discs and pads, new handbrake shoes. changed water pump, thermostat, coolant flush. changed oil and oil filter. 

all thats left to do now is change fuel filter, cabin filter, and clean k&n air filter.. hopefully ready for mot tomorrow