RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

Wednesday I faffed with some LED headlamp bulbs and figured out how to take the grille off and that all the headlamp adjusters are knackered, thankfully only managed to break one clip, also stuck one glass lens back on, the chrome ring was holding it in place!

Thursday after getting home from work and needing to load my Citroen onto a trailer to go mapping in Cornwall on Friday, it refused to start and after I jumped it and left it idling it cut out after about 15 minutes.

dead alternator.

ARSE.

17 hours ago, Carl-e34 said:

Looking smart :) one of only two Diamond Schwarz 540/6 saloons left :wub:  

If I recall the other was for sale some time back & it had low miles but there was something fishy about it??

Also there was 1 Touring in DB as well. I always keep my eyes open for it but suspect it's long been turned into beer cans!  They would make a nice pair..........^_^

3 hours ago, 540i/6DB said:

If I recall the other was for sale some time back & it had low miles but there was something fishy about it??

Also there was 1 Touring in DB as well. I always keep my eyes open for it but suspect it's long been turned into beer cans!  They would make a nice pair..........^_^

The other was on sale during 2014 

the asking price was £5'200 its since

Sold during 2016 for 8k.

When i viewed the motor during 2014

I found out the Bootlid and rear panel

Had been replaced along with the 

Front wing, the wing was not seated 

Right too. 

Edited by Carl-e34

44 minutes ago, MadeinWigan said:

£8k! Wow, he did well.

I had one of the 2 Diamond black 540i/6 tourings back in 2008 and tried to buy it back in 2011 or 2012. L336KDP, looks like it's dead now.

He did do well !

The interior and wheels sold it .....

It's interior is buffalo sports leather 

along with low miles.

But the motor looked shady on close inspection which turned us away from

doing a deal we also check at BMW

About recalls it never had the uprated

Oil pump housing.

removed the alternator, stripped the rear cover and regulator off to find pretty worn out brushes and a deeply grooved slip ring :(  bearings are still good thankfully, so hopefully have it rebuilt

Fitted my rebuilt Alternator, has a new slip ring and brushes, cost a grand total of £35, much better than the £150+ for a new Valeo unit.

Had the air-con recharged in the Alpina, courtesy of AutoAir at Woking, a top bloke who checked all 5 cars and had to top up two. It's icy cold again now.

Edited by sharkfan

Replaced the tailgate glass struts on my touring. Wow, that was tedious!  Anyone who's done it will probably recognise this view.

CTyT1Dn_NrGYPH1qaRnPzCC-Bt648ujitwh7ZrNb

Plus I managed to break one of the circlips, and some of the hose/cable clips/holders:

nArvzR1jJXViJxRYqdnYpGYzNdSOkcQxvTxZxVAz

L2ygPggWbNPofXgLrGamxZOnSLIo2ZvfpAEwhVom

Still trying to figure out which part number they are.  I've been through most of RealOEM but not found anything which looks quite right yet.

Edit: Aha! They're 61138355134. Number 18 on this diagram from RealOEM:

diag_2qgm.png

13 looks like it would work too. None of either on eBay.  Might see if the local dealer has any tomorrow.

Edited by Steveeeee

13 hours ago, Steveeeee said:

Replaced the tailgate glass struts on my touring. Wow, that was tedious!  Anyone who's done it will probably recognise this view.

CTyT1Dn_NrGYPH1qaRnPzCC-Bt648ujitwh7ZrNb

Plus I managed to break one of the circlips, and some of the hose/cable clips/holders:

nArvzR1jJXViJxRYqdnYpGYzNdSOkcQxvTxZxVAz

L2ygPggWbNPofXgLrGamxZOnSLIo2ZvfpAEwhVom

Still trying to figure out which part number they are.  I've been through most of RealOEM but not found anything which looks quite right yet.

Edit: Aha! They're 61138355134. Number 18 on this diagram from RealOEM:

diag_2qgm.png

13 looks like it would work too. None of either on eBay.  Might see if the local dealer has any tomorrow.

Or 4

9 minutes ago, MadeinWigan said:

Cheers Carl, it's going to get some long overdue attention this year.

Whats the plans Richard ? Did you replace your knock sensors ? or was it someone else ? I'm planning to change TBL's soon.

Wow, thanks gents.

I have replaced the knock sensors but you may be thinking of Mazz as well. Plans for this year are to go through the suspension and tighten it up and to also take the slack out of the gearshift.

After that it's mostly cosmetics and I have a set of style 5's to refurb as well.

new LED sidelights gave it a wash and fitted some pilot sport 3's to the front wheels, inner edges on the Continentals were buggered, just about on the cords but they had done about 14k miles, I had an alignment issue a while back so the outer edges annoyingly are still decent.