RumRunner

What have you done on your E34 Today

3,083 posts in this topic

my 5hp18 is fecked, has been for 40k miles :/   need to get my french thing on the road then stick the manual box in.

Not selling the last one !!! kept the 3.8 5 speed, it stays worts, issues and all.

hamish262001 likes this

Feeling like doing a few jobs now, so off to M5 in shed, refitted the fire extinguisher borrowed from a previously sold car, cleaned down body and popped winter cover over just because...........................gave it a ten minute to warm up run, all fine and some air flow re interior.

good pat and said see you end of march, why am I so silly over this most complex car and restore task I ever took on in complete ignorance.^_^

Taken me a while to get round to it, but got the Sports seats sorted and fitted in my touring :)

AhrP4Htl.jpg

Also cruise control stalk poking into the side of shot as I've been retrofitting that as well recently!

sharkfan, ustbutler and Hogie like this

On 09/02/2017 at 9:26 PM, sharkfan said:

Ordered two new Alpina front shock absorbers so I will be poor for some time now.... but with a fabulous riding and handling car.

given they're what I believe to be just off the shelf B8's I didn't think they were too bad really.

Bilstein shocks valved to Alpina specifications. You may want to think they are B8's but Bilstein and Alpina both confirm they are not and those that have fitted both say the B8's are harsher and less forgiving more than the Alpina version. 

2 hours ago, sharkfan said:

Bilstein shocks valved to Alpina specifications. You may want to think they are B8's but Bilstein and Alpina both confirm they are not and those that have fitted both say the B8's are harsher and less forgiving more than the Alpina version. 

This is why Alpina cost arm and a leg x 2, but the ride, roadholding and general great suspension makes it all worth it, doesn't it S/F and URQ !!

Carl-e34 and sharkfan like this

Shocks changed, as well as a lower control arm, some brake pads, some rubbing back of the strut bodies, treating and painting.

The test drive revealed how worn the old shocks were. Happy days.

Carl-e34 likes this

3 hours ago, 540i/6DB said:

New rad time.Think it was about due..........^_^

rad01.jpg

Why do they all seem to do that? They all seem to go in the same way and sag in the middle....... The one I took out of mine done exactly the same thing, and it probably wont be long until the current one goes the same way!!!!

Going to seriously start considering a custom solid alloy job in the not too distant future..........

I don't recall where I saw them but I have seen rads with a few straps between top and bottom rails which I presume would prevent this.

Decided to (foolishly?!) tighten up the steering box to try and take out some of the play from it. Managed to get most  of it out but not 100%. When the engine eventually comes out to fit a 420G, I will get it sent off to that place in Holland for a full refurb. For the time being it will do. Whilst I was in there replaced the engine mounts (massive fun on the M60) and the "replacement " ones from Febi actually snapped at the threads before even reaching the specific torque setting.....:unsure: Ended up going direct to BMW to get them in the end and low and behold, they didn't snap this time round!! Hooray!!!

Oh and replaced the gear selector oil seal shaft too on my 5HP30 as I noticed a minor oil leak coming from there and was ever so slowly losing (the expensive) special gearbox fluid. Another p.i.t.a. job to do, but all sorted now B) Hasn't been leaking for long at all as everything was bone dry under there a few months ago and haven't really done many miles since.

stevenc3828 likes this

My idler pulley started making a row yesterday, a job for the weekend I thought.

Then coming home this morning it went quiet and I heard something bouncing off the underside of the car, I looked in the rear view mirror to see it making a break for freedom at just under 319k, oops.

Luckily was less than a mile from home so carried on, then looked under bonnet to see belt had just run on the inner race and blued it a little.

Ordered a new one from ECP at 14.00 and was delivered free by motorbike at 16.00, so hats off to ECP, all done now.

20170316_161816_zpsamlcneax.jpg

Carl-e34 likes this