Justin..

520d Oil Breather Problems. GUNK

Car is a 56plate 520d manual in 95k genuine miles. Apparent FSH !!

Started off with new turbo and once fitted the car, it started picking up oil and redlining. Car was able to be stalled luckily as it's manual!!

Changed oil seperator/vortex still picking up oil under the airbox.

The cam cover has been removed to reveal this shit inside. Any tips on cleaning, what to clean etc?

Here's some pics

1E86685F-394B-4D49-8563-383434771F6C_zps

AD1DA989-904E-447E-A732-1D4C06B27B90_zps

62984A33-3302-4A00-A446-5BFFFD303954_zps

A1249532-9C07-47E8-AC2B-CD3183ADCDF6_zps

DF74FDC1-C799-4997-AC0A-45B00A81A420_zps

21525468-2C83-47A5-A7EA-C84F09491159_zps

It's hard to get into this situation when running with a good engine oil. However what is done is done.

You can clean as much as possible manually (fibreless rags) and then close it up. The problem is how you clean the rest of the engine, since you should expect to have the same garbage EVERYWHERE. To me, removing the oil pan and cleaning the pan and engine bottom part is a must. Then, to clean the rest try with a good oil flushing liquid a couple of times, then put some good quality engine oil (replace oil filter a couple of times as well).

2x http://bit.ly/KuhG2C leave it idling for a good hr or 2 change the oil for 5/30 tripleQx or something run around for a week or two and flush again for 1hr then use castrol/comma/shell oil

YNP

Content provided by this user should not be considered correct due to the fact he's a raving fruitloop.

Sump off is planned in the clean up. The car was bought with a shot turbo recently.

As for the runaway, some how it is pulling a lot of oil into the boost circuit before the turbo. It's been pulled in where no7 joins

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NC32&mospid=48801&btnr=13_1162&hg=13&fg=20

Edited by Justin..

Number 7 is where the oil separator vents to. Are you sure you have fitted the oil separator correctly?. If you have and the intake pipework has no excess residual oil, then you have a problem with excess crankcase pressure pushing oil past the separator.

I would remove the number 7 pipe so it vents to open air or into a container and see how much oil is coming out of it.

As Redtwin mentioned, remove the oil separator vent and check for excessive flow, or open oil filler cap and see if there are fumes coming out (with the engine warm and idle). If so, then you have a problem with valve seals and/or piston ring failure (ie combustion chamber pressure goes into the crankcase) :(      => engine overhaul! Sorry for the bad news.

My suspicion would be that the oil present in the head is getting pulled straight through and that is the cause of the runaway.  I have not seen one is such a mess as that before and urge removal by hand of as much as possible, glad you are doing the sump, as that possibly will be loaded, if you had the chance remove and flush the intercooler as it will probably be holding a scary amount, clean all pipework and then just hope!

That engine has been neglected, looks like it is run on mineral oil too.

I wouldn't waste time and money cleaning anything until you are sure you don't have worn rings/ cylinder and or valve seats. Everything will need to come apart anyway to sort that...assuming you don't opt for a replacement engine.

As Redtwin mentioned, remove the oil separator vent and check for excessive flow, or open oil filler cap and see if there are fumes coming out (with the engine warm and idle). If so, then you have a problem with valve seals and/or piston ring failure (ie combustion chamber pressure goes into the crankcase) :( => engine overhaul! Sorry for the bad news.

Should there be zero smoke when removing oil cap whilst idling? I removed mine whilst idling after driving for a while and it had a little white ish smoke come out. Is this not normal?

Should there be zero smoke when removing oil cap whilst idling? I removed mine whilst idling after driving for a while and it had a little white ish smoke come out. Is this not normal?

a little drifting out the oil cap is fine, that is why the oil cap forms a seal to the rocker cover as it's under vacuum, if it's like the Flying Scotsman spewing out on full tilt, you have a problem :)

a little drifting out the oil cap is fine, that is why the oil cap forms a seal to the rocker cover as it's under vacuum, if it's like the Flying Scotsman spewing out on full tilt, you have a problem :)

It is drifting out, it's not bellowing out and is not thick white smoke. It does sound rather noisy with the cap off and spits oil over the engine cover and around the filler. Just after reading this thread thought I would check, which has now worried me.

It is drifting out, it's not bellowing out and is not thick white smoke. It does sound rather noisy with the cap off and spits oil over the engine cover and around the filler. Just after reading this thread thought I would check, which has now worried me.

Some oil mist coming out is normal. Some oil drops will spit out as well. It's difficult to define what is normal and what isn't. Try to upload a video.