stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Mine went on a little jolly down to Minehead last weekend for a quiet weekend with the boys (read; piss up!), even with five of us and a bootful of luggage there was still room to spare and cruising was effortless (and may have been slightly illegal at times...) and the old beast didn't miss a beat, I was actually looking forward to driving home. :)

2 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I would be too if I'd just spent two days in Minehead. :lol:

We spent 2 nights of our honeymoon there nearly 50 years ago. We were skint, but I am reminded of it regularly. Every wedding anniversary. Without fail. :lol:

3 hours ago, Paddy O'Furniture said:

I would be too if I'd just spent two days in Minehead. :lol:

By Sunday night I had drunk A LOT of Birra Moretti, and Thatchers, and Jack Daniels and anything alcoholic in general and I felt old, very old.... 

Hungover GIF - Hungover GIFs

Finally got around to ordering the Z3 intake pipe for my 523i, to delete that ludicrous great silencer box and then also ordered a K&N panel filter for it. Whilst I think its in keeping with the character of the car to have a more muted engine note, I certainly feel it would benefit from a little bit more of a growl so.... lets see if this makes for an improvement.

1 hour ago, chicaneuk said:

Finally got around to ordering the Z3 intake pipe for my 523i, to delete that ludicrous great silencer box and then also ordered a K&N panel filter for it. Whilst I think its in keeping with the character of the car to have a more muted engine note, I certainly feel it would benefit from a little bit more of a growl so.... lets see if this makes for an improvement.

It's there; but you have to listen carefully :lol: 

Went to check if headlight adjusters were okay, to find them - of course - flopping around like no one's business...

Spent ages re-watching videos on how to fix it...

Decided bollocks to that...

Searched for lower control arms at a reasonable price

Spent ages watching videos on how to replace them

To be continued....

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

Picked mine up from the garage after a steering pump replacement. Sigh. Love getting my hands dirty and finally own a house with a big-ass drive and hardstand for several cars, ideal for working on... But don't have time to actually do anything myself anymore.

Kids, eh?

On 18 December 2018 at 22:31, BarryM said:

I've had a couple from a chap called Rusty over the years, this is his website: https://www.satnavupgrades.co.uk/ 

Cheers Barry but I went down the cheap ebay route which arrived and worked brilliantly.

Now I've only got the never-worked-brilliantly-since-I-bought-the-car PDC to fix.

Today I have fitted and then immediately removed and returned a POS third party DISA unit which turned out to be DOA. Yeah yeah, I should have expected as much, lesson learnt.

Last week I borrowed a roof box for Xmas from a good friend. He likes a clean car and commented (as I knew he would) on the state of mine (my defence building work for 3 months so no access to garage and cleaning kit) so took advantage of a polish car wash on way home. Ok so not a full detail and wax but looks 100x better and today I looked at it at dusk and though yup that's a handsome car!

On 18/12/2018 at 09:16, chicaneuk said:

Jim, did you receive all this kit? Interested to know what it is, where it goes (the intake pipe) etc.

3 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Jim, did you receive all this kit? Interested to know what it is, where it goes (the intake pipe) etc.

He did; but with it being the 523i, the piping was wrong as diameters were different. Think he got it sorted eventually :)

The replacement intake boot replaces the first section, right after the MAF and deletes the resonator box; the part needs to be from the BMW Z3 3.0i

Other than that it's all OEM; different for your V8 though @Loadmaster ;) 

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

He did; but with it being the 523i, the piping was wrong as diameters were different. Think he got it sorted eventually :)

The replacement intake boot replaces the first section, right after the MAF and deletes the resonator box; the part needs to be from the BMW Z3 3.0i

Other than that it's all OEM; different for your V8 though @Loadmaster ;) 

Ah ok, cheers Dan. Been thinking of similar minor mods for mine, filter and air induction sort of thing.

Yeah so it’s the pipe that links the MAF down to the throttle body essentially. As Dan says, waiting for a replacement which will hopefully be the correct diameter as I bought one for an M54 engine which is no good. Intake setup is a fair bit different I think on the V8 but a panel filter at least should open up a bit more intake growl! 

2 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Ah ok, cheers Dan. Been thinking of similar minor mods for mine, filter and air induction sort of thing.

Can soon make it DIY pal, using pre bent ali intake piping and couplings with either the OEM intake box and a K&N filter, or a K&N cone filter etc