stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Found today that the angel eyes on the driver side of the car were dead. Seem to have been pretty lucky over the years to not really have to change many headlight bulbs on cars so wasn't familiar with how these came apart but... good old BMW.. ludicrously easy - just disconnect, twist and pull. 

Found that the side that is dead, the plastic housing is all cracked too so probably best bin it. Genuine new sidelight bulb holders from BMW for £30 a side on eBay, so might as well replace them both as I'm sure if I only change one, the colours and brightness will be uneven. 

7 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Found today that the angel eyes on the driver side of the car were dead. Seem to have been pretty lucky over the years to not really have to change many headlight bulbs on cars so wasn't familiar with how these came apart but... good old BMW.. ludicrously easy - just disconnect, twist and pull. 

Found that the side that is dead, the plastic housing is all cracked too so probably best bin it. Genuine new sidelight bulb holders from BMW for £30 a side on eBay, so might as well replace them both as I'm sure if I only change one, the colours and brightness will be uneven. 

For the other side you can just renew the bulb if the housing is OK. Bulb type BA9s 10 W

21 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Time to get some LEDs then ;)

19 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Time to get some LEDs then ;)

If there’s any recommendations for known good / error free ones I would’ve happy to give em a try. 

1 hour ago, chicaneuk said:

If there’s any recommendations for known good / error free ones I would’ve happy to give em a try. 

Some folk swear by the £60-£80 Mtec ones

However; I used these in both previous E39s and will be in my land barge and they've been faultless:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-CREE-LED-BMW-MARKER-ANGEL-EYES-RING-KIT-E39-X5-E53-E60-E63-E64-E65-E66-E87/300753009119?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not stupidly white/bright either; but a good white and not dazzling

9 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Some folk swear by the £60-£80 Mtec ones

However; I used these in both previous E39s and will be in my land barge and they've been faultless:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10W-CREE-LED-BMW-MARKER-ANGEL-EYES-RING-KIT-E39-X5-E53-E60-E63-E64-E65-E66-E87/300753009119?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Not stupidly white/bright either; but a good white and not dazzling

I'm normally pretty dead set on staying fairly OEM on this sort of stuff but maybe I'll give them a go as the headlights are xenon anyway, so I guess these would more match the light output of them anyway. Cheers :)

4 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

I'm normally pretty dead set on staying fairly OEM on this sort of stuff but maybe I'll give them a go as the headlights are xenon anyway, so I guess these would more match the light output of them anyway. Cheers :)

‘They do blend in better; I find the OEM ones looks like worn out old bulbs, if you follow me?

8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

‘They do blend in better; I find the OEM ones looks like worn out old bulbs, if you follow me?

Yep! Well I just ordered them.. will let you know once I've got them installed :)

In the past couple of weeks I decided on buying some led BA9s/T4w bulbs, didn't really work out, the first set didn't project the light into a point, so it never illuminated the angel eyes. The second had a metal projector housing just above the light cap which stopped it from entering into the housing fully. 

I think the only way is these aftermarket LEDs in the housing. I do have some with an amber led and will probably just solder a white Cree led in there instead.

Saved myself a quid, fitted a replacement Bosch DSC control unit.

Fit replacement unit, NCS Expert to code IKE, DISV57 to read codes and recalibrate steering angle sensor. 

30min job when you know what your doing, 2 day job when you don’t!

12 hours ago, jwarrens84 said:

Saved myself a quid, fitted a replacement Bosch DSC control unit.

Fit replacement unit, NCS Expert to code IKE, DISV57 to read codes and recalibrate steering angle sensor. 

30min job when you know what your doing, 2 day job when you don’t!

Why would you code IKE (instrument cluster) if you changed DSC module?

On 10/2/2018 at 11:06 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

These finally arrived today and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the general "jinkyness" of them... the actual light units themselves, that you screw into the headlight housing, seem solid and nice quality but there are several adaptors and an additional 'dongle' needed (presumably to cancel canbus errors?) which means you end up with quite a mass of wiring (and potential sources of failure once water starts to get into them) and I also find the units feel a little loose in the headlight unit itself as well. But they seem to work so I'll give them a try for now but... have to say I'm kinda wishing I'd just bought new OEM stuff!

3 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

These finally arrived today and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the general "jinkyness" of them... the actual light units themselves, that you screw into the headlight housing, seem solid and nice quality but there are several adaptors and an additional 'dongle' needed (presumably to cancel canbus errors?) which means you end up with quite a mass of wiring (and potential sources of failure once water starts to get into them) and I also find the units feel a little loose in the headlight unit itself as well. But they seem to work so I'll give them a try for now but... have to say I'm kinda wishing I'd just bought new OEM stuff!

The ones I had were very tight in situ; I just cable tied the other bits to tidy it all up

The OEM ones are shit really; they look old and have a habit of blowing, more so than the LED ones..

Horses for courses though

25 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

They look absolutely spot on @Loadmaster

Suit the car down to a tee :mrgreen: 

Are you still going to space them out etc?

Thanks Dan, I'm well chuffed with them. 

I think the rears sit just fine but the fronts could do with coming out a little. May put a couple of the 15mm spacers on to see how that looks. 

21 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Thanks Dan, I'm well chuffed with them. 

I think the rears sit just fine but the fronts could do with coming out a little. May put a couple of the 15mm spacers on to see how that looks. 

Get them on all round ;) 

You can go for 5mm hubcentric shims on the rears though if you wanted; there's plenty of meat left on the central hub for the wheel to sit on

Just make sure it is a hubcentric 5mm spacer and not a universal one! 

Do you think you'll do the stud conversion or stick with longer bolts?

10 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Get them on all round ;) 

You can go for 5mm hubcentric shims on the rears though if you wanted; there's plenty of meat left on the central hub for the wheel to sit on

Just make sure it is a hubcentric 5mm spacer and not a universal one! 

Do you think you'll do the stud conversion or stick with longer bolts?

I think the stud conversion is called for when I space them...

Does MTec do the 5mm hubcentric spacer?

21 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

I'm pretty sure Bimmec do these

6 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

No; but there's plenty of them on eBay

May have a set in the garage myself; will have a look

That just looks so good... would love some Style 66s!

...instead, I got a nail through a brand new tyre and it even managed to rip through the side.... awesome, £100 in the toilet!

Had to call the AA because the cherry that put the tyres on last time over tightened it... only up side is I managed to pull over in a countryside pub... 

Fitted sports headlining and pillar trims to mine today with help from a mate. He also resoldered the correct preface indicator looms and plugs back on so it has been restored to factory. 

Tomorrow we're fitting a brand new lower dashboard, kenwood head unit and new HVAC unit with frame. 

It's finally coming along!