Jump to content
stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Recommended Posts

After months of searching for a way to beef up my front bumpers look...i fitted one of those rubber EZ lip splitters and i think it adds a nice amount of extra depth to the front.

 

I didnt want to do the traditional sport bumper onto an SE, the aplina splitter for the SE is barely noticeable and im not keen on the AC splitter neither.

 

So i think this is a nice cheap alternative way to look slightly different.

 

Opinions welcome.

 

20180922_130803.jpg

20180922_130809.jpg

20180922_130819.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^ I like it, I was going to go down a similar route with my car until I got offered some sport bumpers for a good price. I think I would prefer the number plate in it's original position in a nice holder but that's just my opinion. :)  

 

 Something like this;  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322620685010

 

 

Edited by NWJW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, supertramp101 said:

how far does a 15ml bottle go then ?  :?

 

With that one bottle you can treat all E53 black plastic parts which is plenty of surface. What's left in that bottle seal it in air tight plastic bag and store in fridge if you want to keep it good longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, supertramp101 said:

how far does a 15ml bottle go then ?  :?

 

A long way; you need very little of it to work properly. They give you some applicator pads; but I found they break down fairly easily; so get some of your missus' make up pads and use them ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NWJW said:

^^^ I like it, I was going to go down a similar route with my car until I got offered some sport bumpers for a good price. I think I would prefer the number plate in it's original position in a nice holder but that's just my opinion. :)  

 

 Something like this;  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322620685010

 

 

Cheers.

 

I did think about one of those...but i wanted to clean up the front a bit and thought the original mount was too if your face (position wise)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NWJW said:

^^^ I like it, I was going to go down a similar route with my car until I got offered some sport bumpers for a good price. I think I would prefer the number plate in it's original position in a nice holder but that's just my opinion. :)  

 

 Something like this;  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322620685010

 

 

 

Fully agree; looks well, but the plate just isn't right

 

Then again, we're all different ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clavurion said:

 

With that one bottle you can treat all E53 black plastic parts which is plenty of surface. What's left in that bottle seal it in air tight plastic bag and store in fridge if you want to keep it good longer.

 

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

A long way; you need very little of it to work properly. They give you some applicator pads; but I found they break down fairly easily; so get some of your missus' make up pads and use them ;) 

thanks, for that chaps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the 540 for mot & passed with no advisories, even saw it coming off the rollers when testing the handbrake & the wheels locked! Well chuffed

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Replaced the Thermostat on the 530d (it’s a manual so no EGR thermostat) and finally took the chance to have the radiator out and clean all the cack that had accumulated between the radiator and the a/c condensor. Must have collected a good few handfuls of just... leaves, muck, sludge, dead wasps (?!) and other detritus. 

 

I am honestly amazed the car kept itself cool at all as the rad was packed between the fins for about probably half of the surface area with sludge and crap so I wrapped it up in a bin bag and took the other E39 over the the Sainsbury’s jetwash to clean it all out! Radiator seems to be a genuine BMW from the badging.. no idea how old it is but seems in good condition still. 

 

Reinstallation seemed to go just fine and the system seems leak free so far so far as I can see. Another job done! 

 

I will just say that as brilliant as those clip lock BMW radiator hoses are, they are also a complete twat to remove and reinstall! The fitting is so snug! Got there in the end though! 

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

I will just say that as brilliant as those clip lock BMW radiator hoses are, they are also a complete twat to remove and reinstall! The fitting is so snug! Got there in the end though! 

 

A smear of brake cylinder paste on the o-rings and they just slide in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Routine wash and replaced one of the door kick plate. Working with Mr Dennis Cooper to do a audio overhaul, watch this space! 

 

Just realised from the pictures my driver side headlight isn't working...time to check it out! :huh:

 

 

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

Edited by GBS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GBS said:

Routine wash and replaced one of the door kick plate. Working with Mr Dennis Cooper to do a audio overhaul, watch this space! 

 

Just realised from the pictures my driver side headlight isn't working...time to check it out! :huh:

 

 

DSC_0176.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0212.JPG

DSC_0217.JPG

DSC_0179.JPG

 

Bulb gone Gurby?

 

Think I put some spare D2S's in the boot didn't I? Where the CD changer was?  If not; get the Lunex D2S ones off eBay/Amazon as IMO they're best for cost and light etc

 

Turn the headlights off and on again though; sometimes the ballasts can play up a little, could just be that!

 

Car's looking very clean though :mrgreen:

Edited by d_a_n1979

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

Bulb gone Gurby?

 

Think I put some spare D2S's in the boot didn't I? Where the CD changer was?  If not; get the Lunex D2S ones off eBay/Amazon as IMO they're best for cost and light etc

 

Turn the headlights off and on again though; sometimes the ballasts can play up a little, could just be that!

 

Car's looking very clean though :mrgreen:

 

Turning it off and on always fixes everything :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GBS said:

 

Turning it off and on always fixes everything :rolleyes:

 

Haha; so it's come back to life then?

 

The ballasts can be finiky at times; more so when they're retrofitted

 

If you've someone local with INPA or you have it; get them coded so they're not checked every time you use the headlights ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 mile trip around the M25 to Enfield this morning to get the cluster pixels sorted by Baris of Carphonics. The top line was not too bad but the lower one was impossible to read.

 

Top bloke, highly recommended.20180929_125752_HDR.jpg.a6d58b32c3cf42377ff20e666b9e21a5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a 240 mile round trip today in the 530d and I have to say, since changing to the Castrol Edge 5w30 I posted about above, the engine sounds especially unrefined and clattery.. more than it has in quite some time. Seemed to drive just fine but sounded like a bag of spanners. I'm contemplating draining it again and sticking in 5w40. Maybe it's just a bit too worn internally for a lighter grade. 

 

Going back on some old posts I can see Dan recommends ECP's Triple QX, 7 litres of which which can be had currently for about £27 so it doesn't make it too much more of a costly mistake to drain it all and whack that in. Hmm. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Did a 240 mile round trip today in the 530d and I have to say, since changing to the Castrol Edge 5w30 I posted about above, the engine sounds especially unrefined and clattery.. more than it has in quite some time. Seemed to drive just fine but sounded like a bag of spanners. I'm contemplating draining it again and sticking in 5w40. Maybe it's just a bit too worn internally for a lighter grade. 

 

Going back on some old posts I can see Dan recommends ECP's Triple QX, 7 litres of which which can be had currently for about £27 so it doesn't make it too much more of a costly mistake to drain it all and whack that in. Hmm. 

 

It's gone up again pal; it's cheaper to buy x2 5l tubs and the Mann filter etc

 

Try PART75 and see if that code still stands?

 

I'll be sticking 5W40 into my 730D next I think and see if it makes any difference. Having never owned an oil burner before; I don't know how they're supposed to sound, mine can be very quiet, but loud at times too, more so when under initial load

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what confuses me about it. I'm not sure that it's actual engine internals (i.e. bearing noises / knocks) because it's acceleration and load where the engine sounds the absolute worst... yet you can lift and maintain the same RPM but the noise reduces substantially. But whatever the reason, heavier weight seems to quieten it down a bit. Surely if it was knackered internals, the knocks would persist regardless of engine load. 

 

I literally just changed the filter with the oil a few days ago, so will probably leave the filter (it was a MANN one) and just change the oil. 

 

And yep... PART75 is still active. Seems that even when they expire, they still work for another day or two after. 

Edited by chicaneuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

This is what confuses me about it. I'm not sure that it's actual engine internals (i.e. bearing noises / knocks) because it's acceleration and load where the engine sounds the absolute worst... yet you can lift and maintain the same RPM but the noise reduces substantially. But whatever the reason, heavier weight seems to quieten it down a bit. Surely if it was knackered internals, the knocks would persist regardless of engine load. 

 

I literally just changed the filter with the oil a few days ago, so will probably leave the filter (it was a MANN one) and just change the oil. 

 

And yep... PART75 is still active. Seems that even when they expire, they still work for another day or two after. 

 

Just monitor oil consumption, if it drinks then change it. More viscous oil induces drag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jake13 said:

 

Just monitor oil consumption, if it drinks then change it. More viscous oil induces drag.

 

I'm going to need to do something about the noise.. I have put up with it sounding a bit agricultural and choking me with the smell of diesel fumes when sat stationary in traffic but it now sounding like a bag of spanners constantly is just going to be too much to bear. For the sake of £30 to change the oil again, I think I'll do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

 

It's gone up again pal; it's cheaper to buy x2 5l tubs and the Mann filter etc

 

Try PART75 and see if that code still stands?

 

I'll be sticking 5W40 into my 730D next I think and see if it makes any difference. Having never owned an oil burner before; I don't know how they're supposed to sound, mine can be very quiet, but loud at times too, more so when under initial load

 

We practically have the same engine,  it's sits between 1700 - 2200 rpm and there's no need for x-40 oil. They all clatter, but the 4 pot sounds worse. The lifter noise is masked in the 6 pot. I did a 500 mile round trip, on average 2 hours on the road and it was bloody quiet. Oil burners are designed to be driven longer which keeps the engine consistantly hot. Problems arise when they are predominately used for short stop-start journeys. Enjoy the E65, it's a very comfortable car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched to 5w-40 from 5w-30 a couple of years ago and the engine is quieter when cold but about the same when hot which strangely is the opposite of what I'd have expected. 5w-40 seems the right thing to do for an older high mileage engine but in reality I'm sure it is fine on either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×