stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

5 hours ago, Huff said:

100 boring miles home on the motorway at the end of today after a v early start. Had a change of heart -  set cruise at about 58-60 (yeah, slow, but v quiet), reset OBC and... oozed silently along in the left lane undisturbed, music on.

Result: reports 42.1mpg. From a B10 3.3

I barely believe it myself - 34-35 is easy on long runs, it's good on fuel, but I really ought to have taken a pic...

Lucky bugger!

The Beast will only give me 14.4 round town!!

Love her though!

Quite! utterly worth it if you enjoy the beast - what else might please so much., or be such a complete answer?

I got my old E34 540 down to 11.2 sustained for a ..rather fast take, once, across the Bealch-na-Ba. Immense fun, unrepeatable: and I could have  probably just about cut firewood with the petrol gauge. Loved that car.

Edited by Huff

Rebuilt my front calipers with new pistons and seals from Biggred, also changed the pads to brembo's as i found one of the redstuff pads had separated from its backing plate.

I've spent HOURS today prepping and painting my wheels which were, to be honest, an embarrassment, there was paint peeling off, kerbing, scratches, the lot. Randomly, the wheels on the offside appeared to have been powder coated and the powder coat was peeling off in big chunks, the nearside front wheel also appeared to have been powder coated and apart from some kerbing was in really good condition yet the nearside rear wheel appeared to have been spray painted for some reason? :?   

Anyway, I've done them in gloss black, which I'm sure won't be to everyone's taste but I've been a fan of dark coloured wheels for a long time so that's what I went with. No pictures at the moment as after I'd finished I just wanted to pack up and have a cider. :P I'll get some up tomorrow.   

Oh, and my shoulders are red raw now as the sun was out and I thought I'd be manly and work with my shirt off....

Edited by NWJW

I've had four e39's and my missus hasn't actually ever driven one of them, she'll drive my Mondeo which is the same size no bother at all but she says that if she drove my e39 and happened to catch the corner of a bumper or a wing mirror or something then she couldn't be dealing with the world war 3 that would ensue. I tell her she's just being stupid, it's just a car....

.....And then think; 'Thank fuck she doesn't want to drive the e39.....'  :D

Mrs d knows I'm  precious about it but I say it's still a good place for my precious cargo. Annoying though it is scuffs can be fixed. Though mrs d hasn't been responsible for the scuffs it's picked up. 

17 hours ago, NWJW said:

I've spent HOURS today prepping and painting my wheels which were, to be honest, an embarrassment, there was paint peeling off, kerbing, scratches, the lot. Randomly, the wheels on the offside appeared to have been powder coated and the powder coat was peeling off in big chunks, the nearside front wheel also appeared to have been powder coated and apart from some kerbing was in really good condition yet the nearside rear wheel appeared to have been spray painted for some reason? :?   

Anyway, I've done them in gloss black, which I'm sure won't be to everyone's taste but I've been a fan of dark coloured wheels for a long time so that's what I went with. No pictures at the moment as after I'd finished I just wanted to pack up and have a cider. :P I'll get some up tomorrow.   

Oh, and my shoulders are red raw now as the sun was out and I thought I'd be manly and work with my shirt off....

Here we go; 

001.JPG

Edit, I really need to get those stone chips on the bonnet sorted...:rolleyes:

Edited by NWJW

Back box delete today. Top job by the guys at Redhill Classics in Surrey. Achieved the perfect level of sound as well, which is what I was hoping for.

A moderately loud rumble on start up which settles down to a very subtle burble, which remains that way up until 3000 revs or so. Then, erm, it all happens! :shock:

20180611_094610_HDR.jpg.31b1bdbb7f38fcf919e16078b28ef9e0.jpg20180611_094852_HDR.jpg.c86bbe5ddeab4f995eacfc3544ec0b0d.jpg20180611_095044_HDR.jpg.7096d8a432fa0ee37c227ebf901a4cbc.jpg

1 hour ago, Loadmaster said:

Back box delete today. Top job by the guys at Redhill Classics in Surrey.

Wow, they must be well tucked away, I lived about 250 yards away in St Johns Road for 20 years and didn't know they were there. Either that or I drive around with my eyes closed!!

1 hour ago, coolhand9 said:

Wow, they must be well tucked away, I lived about 250 yards away in St Johns Road for 20 years and didn't know they were there. Either that or I drive around with my eyes closed!!

Yep, their workshop isn't at all obvious to the passer by. Only clue is a small sign pointing up a driveway between two houses on Earlsbrook Road.

10 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Yep, their workshop isn't at all obvious to the passer by. Only clue is a small sign pointing up a driveway between two houses on Earlsbrook Road. 

Now I know I might have to pop in for a chat, see about releasing a little of my own V8 rumble.

19 minutes ago, coolhand9 said:

Now I know I might have to pop in for a chat, see about releasing a little of my own V8 rumble.

Me too. There’s a place down here that sorts exhausts out. Might have to invest in a sport rear bumper and see about twin pipes. I always did like balance!

1 minute ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Me too. There’s a place down here that sorts exhausts out. Might have to invest in a sport rear bumper and see about twin pipes. I always did like balance!

Nah; keep it stealthy looking. They'll just fabricate the pipe to drop down, facing downwards behind your bumper ;) 

47 minutes ago, coolhand9 said:

Good idea. Mark's the pipe welder and fabricator. For me, what they did this morning met my expectations sound wise. Also looks completely stock from behind unless you look underneath.

If you're still local I'm very happy to meet up so you can hear for yourself.

Edited by Loadmaster

A mate of mine did a flyby whilst I filmed it. Sound picked up well despite being on phone. 

File too big to upload so i guess i need to resize it!

2 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

A mate of mine did a flyby whilst I filmed it. Sound picked up well despite being on phone. 

File too big to upload so i guess i need to resize it!

Upload it to Google Photos and then ask it to produce a link; this way it won't be compressed/shitty quality etc :) 

Picked up an OEM front plate holder from my local Vines to replace the significantly crappy and generic (as I soon discovered after unpacking it) holder which I had purchased via Amazon :roll:. The plate is currently just screwed to the bumper.

Love the fact that the OEM one has locating hooks that clip into slots under the bumper so that the bumper can be drilled for the holder making it level and central. And it seals nicely around the top and sides.

Will fit it on a couple of weeks when the registration is changed.

By the way, being a plain grey plastic currently, can i spray it with Plasticote? Found a half full can of silver in the garage but the blurb doesn't mention suitable for plastic!

20180613_200105_HDR.jpg.40c28f9b7de733ba09b67bc51fd04ea7.jpg20180613_200127_HDR-1.jpg.8f3ae6beeb222d1ad7881757694a3bcf.jpg20180613_200155_HDR-1.jpg.c593730baf59c23c6162224f4a819564.jpg20180613_200628_HDR.jpg.585a297fdacddf877f2b4f242963d26b.jpg

Sigh

Been driving a mk4 golf V5 around for the past month, while I was not able to fix my rocker cover - it was delivered to family in London while i work in Cardiff. Had to steal a family member's car, wasn't able to come back to fix it.

Anyway, i open it today, it was not only the wrong part I ordered (turns out not all m54 engines are the same...) but the clips at the end broken in the post anyway.

So now I have to beg for a refund from the seller even though it's been ages. At least it was ebay, so if I kick up a fuss I might get PayPal protection or something.

I won't buy another unless it's from a 2.5L E39 m54.... just a heads up.

The golf is quite a thirsty car petrol-wise, but at least I've had a month of hassle free motoring... all the speakers work! No brake shimmy! No rust! How luxurious... 

Cheers,

Ed

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

55 minutes ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Sigh

Been driving a mk4 golf V5 around for the past month, while I was not able to fix my rocker cover - it was delivered to family in London while i work in Cardiff. Had to steal a family member's car, wasn't able to come back to fix it.

Anyway, i open it today, it was not only the wrong part I ordered (turns out not all m54 engines are the same...) but the clips at the end broken in the post anyway.

So now I have to beg for a refund from the seller even though it's been ages. At least it was ebay, so if I kick up a fuss I might get PayPal protection or something.

I won't buy another unless it's from a 2.5L E39 m54.... just a heads up.

The golf is quite a thirsty car petrol-wise, but at least I've had a month of hassle free motoring... all the speakers work! No brake shimmy! No rust! How luxurious... 

Cheers,

Ed

I thought all M54s were the same bar the size/power etc

Wonder if what you got was off an M52 etc?