stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

On 5/15/2018 at 10:21 PM, NWJW said:

Over the last few weeks I've been gradually converting my interior from all beige with vavona wood trim to two tone black and beige with aluminium trim, I now have an interior that looks like this; 

001.JPG

004.JPG

I was going to fit the leather inserts from my beige door cards into the black ones until I found out that the rear ones are glued in with what seems to be the strongest glue known to man! Instead, I went over them with some beige leather dye, it doesn't match the seats exactly but seeing as there is about four different shades of beige in the interior where the sun has got to it over the years I'm not all that bothered.    

Oh, and despite my wheels being desperate for a re-furb I've fitted some new center caps to tart things up a bit; 

005.JPG

Interior looks tidy, good work. I reckon a Sport model black headlining and pillar trims would finish that off nicely ;) 

Replaced front and rear roundels with genuine BMW ones from BMW Cotswolds; they really make a difference to having the aftermarket ones on IMO

Also fixed the centre vent (somehow it'd cracked slightly in one of the corners, but a touch of glue and some 3M car masking tape and it's invisible now) :) 

It's the small things... :lol: 

I got em from MTec on eBay. They don't do a 4 wheel package for 16mm, you have to buy two pairs (and then locking bolts if you want on top).

I read somewhere on here that someone had used 16mm with Style 66s, but only found pictures of 15mm so I thought I'd go for it!

34 minutes ago, guido45 said:

16mm spacers all round... a subtle improvement:

MVIMG_20180522_163747.thumb.jpg.92d2fedf8ac02a63f76ab3a3181ab476.jpgBefore

MVIMG_20180522_185736.thumb.jpg.1d07627636223a09aeb5d58c25f88bc7.jpgAfter

I've been thinking of fitting some spacers on mine, especially on the front, and I think that picture may have helped me make my mind up.:)

Gone back to the factory airbox as I found the aftermarket one too boomy at certain revs.. weird resonation, etc. MOT for the 523i due tomorrow as well... gulp!

MOT on my 530d touring cost me the labour to fit new handbrake shoes.. everything else was little silly fixes I could do myself. That's a shed with 212,000 miles on the clock! My 523i is in far better condition so.. if it doesn't saunter through the MOT, I'll be pretty surprised tbh!

Min needed welding underneath, but they sprayed a bumper & tailgate for me as well, so I’m not complaining. Mind you, I want to have the gbox oil changed & that’ll cost!

That and spacers, new water pump and hoses, fix the air con leak, remap the motor, plump up the seats, fit the tailgate spoiler ........ the list goes on!

Trust me, I know the feeling owning two of them :)

Just done the CCV and replaced the viscous fan coupling on the 523i, but the 530d could do with some money spending on it.. really want to do the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, and the drive shaft rubber coupling as I think they're in various states of failure.. think I might casually ask the garage tomorrow when I go in for the MOT, what sort of money they'd charge to do that little lot. I think if I had a lift to get the car in the air I'd be happy to tackle those myself, but the thought of rolling around under the car on axle stands isn't my idea of a good time to be honest.

6 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Passed the MOT with no advisories. Awesome :)

No advisories! Doesn't get better than that (literally)! B) 

Also pretty pleased. Talked to the owner of the garage and said about wanting to do all that work on the 530d.. I was mildly apprehensive as I wanted to pick and choose which parts were used and I know quite often garages just like to be left to order whatever parts are convenient for them, from their suppliers... however, without me even needing to say anything, he said the best thing to do was get all the parts myself that I wanted to swap (both engine mounts, gearbox mounts, prop-shaft doughnut) and bring them down and he'd get the car on the ramps and give me an estimate for the labour to just fit the supplied parts. Perfect. He also owns a couple of similar era BMW's himself so I'm pretty confident he's a safe pair of hands! 

17 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

Also pretty pleased. Talked to the owner of the garage and said about wanting to do all that work on the 530d.. I was mildly apprehensive as I wanted to pick and choose which parts were used and I know quite often garages just like to be left to order whatever parts are convenient for them, from their suppliers... however, without me even needing to say anything, he said the best thing to do was get all the parts myself that I wanted to swap (both engine mounts, gearbox mounts, prop-shaft doughnut) and bring them down and he'd get the car on the ramps and give me an estimate for the labour to just fit the supplied parts. Perfect. He also owns a couple of similar era BMW's himself so I'm pretty confident he's a safe pair of hands! 

The guy that does my mot's just happens to be an e39 nut and a good mate, which I suppose could be slightly advantageous.... 

Today’s little DIY was to finally fit my rear PDC sensors and also took the chance to remove the tow bar my Touring came fitted with.. no need to tow anything so glad to see it gone as it cleans the back end up! So nice now being able to depend on the PDC at the rear and also not just keep getting it randomly making noises whenever I select reverse! 

Today some de-badging occurred, the 540i badge got removed and while I had the polish out to do the bootlid I gave the headlights a quick once over (pics below). I also stuck my head underneath the car to see if I could figure out why my exhaust sometimes sounds a bit raspy and was quite surprised to find no nuts at all on the flanges between the exhaust and downpipes, they had completely rusted away! I managed to give the threads on the downpipe studs a clean up and fitted some new nuts so all good. :)

001.JPG

002.JPG

Upset my self by delving a little further into the bubbling rear arches...removed the plastic arch liner, nothing new to see here. Then i removed the rear sill cover and found this.....:lol:

20180518_102932.thumb.jpg.62651fd7f1ed2c0bae320ecfe39f5a38.jpg

One totally fecked rear sill/jacking point. i haven't managed to look at the other side yet. (still getting over this one) i imagine its going to be a similar story though. My original plan of paying someone to replace the arches is out of the window now and i'm going to be having a go at it myself. (with guidance from some people that actually do it for a living). The cost of the repairs vs value of car, it just isn't worth spending the money. 

3 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

Upset my self by delving a little further into the bubbling rear arches...removed the plastic arch liner, nothing new to see here. Then i removed the rear sill cover and found this.....:lol:

20180518_102932.thumb.jpg.62651fd7f1ed2c0bae320ecfe39f5a38.jpg

One totally fecked rear sill/jacking point. i haven't managed to look at the other side yet. (still getting over this one) i imagine its going to be a similar story though. My original plan of paying someone to replace the arches is out of the window now and i'm going to be having a go at it myself. (with guidance from some people that actually do it for a living). The cost of the repairs vs value of car, it just isn't worth spending the money. 

Caught mine just in time as they started to rot just before the rear jack point.

I am not a competent welder and if the damage was little more extensive I would have got a professional to do it.

Eleanorsskipper on this forum had his welded and painted and few bits and bobs done have a look it is just few pages back on this topic.To be fair he had it done at a good price.

You may have to remove the tank as the damage looks extensive, I did not in my case ( i know it was mad) just stuffed some fire blankets between the tank and body.

The design of these jack pads and under trays is bad allowing build up of mud and crud which sits there forever and rust nibbles away the steel undisturbed for years.

I removed all my arch liners and undertrays and cleaned, treated any rust with rust remover Jenolite ,waxoyled the lot and undersealed where the trays go.I would suggest you do the same and check for rust in other areas.

Look  under spare wheel, remove boot rubber and check there, also the fuel filler.

I would have uploaded my repair pictures but have no upload space left

The design is awful... Underseal and plastic covers are just a recipe for disaster. I hate underseal, once the water has got under it... It just sits there!

I was already planning on dropping the tank. I just hope the rust hasn't started on the floor pans. It's at that point I may reconsider! 

1400 is a good price, with out a doubt. But I can't justify spending 1400 on a car I only paid 1200 for. As much as I love the car there are others out there in better condition for not alot more money. 

On 5/25/2018 at 10:15 AM, chicaneuk said:

Passed the MOT with no advisories. Awesome :)

Didn't want to tempt fate beforehand, but I knew it would pass! As it always has done with the odd one or two minor exceptions.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:04 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Replaced front and rear roundels with genuine BMW ones from BMW Cotswolds; they really make a difference to having the aftermarket ones on IMO

Also fixed the centre vent (somehow it'd cracked slightly in one of the corners, but a touch of glue and some 3M car masking tape and it's invisible now) :) 

It's the small things... :lol: 

How much to Cotswolds charge for the roundels, including delivery, Dan?