stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

Had the 523i out this weekend for a small local car show, and got looking into a few additional problems with it.

Firstly, it I think it needs the CCV valve replacing. I'm finding fuel economy to be astonishingly bad, even when just doing a gentle drive at sensible speeds but the main give away is what I can only describe as a sort of 'trumpeting' noise whenever I apply throttle. I also find the same noise happens if I open the oil filler cap at idle. I'll have to capture a video of it.

Secondly, I think I've all but confirmed the thermostatic / mechanical fan is basically toast. I found since installing the pusher fan for the air conditioning, I've heard that come on a few times when the car has been idling in traffic or similar, so I tried the 'rolled up newspaper test' when the car was fully warmed up the other day and could stop the fan with little to no effort. So that wants doing. All I can say is, I'm glad I decided to do the pusher fan when I did as that's probably saved me from overheating. Any recommendations for decent aftermarket ones welcome.. Beru? Mahle?

Lastly.. since owning the car, I've noticed it's got quite a pronounced whistle from the auxiliary belts, almost like the car has a supercharger fitted! A quick listen around with a screwdriver stethoscope leads me to suspect the alternator as the culprit... presumably a bearing on the way out or similar I guess. I think I'll get the current one removed and decide on whether to get it rebuilt, or whether to just acquire a new one - I see ECP have Bosch alternators for not mega money.. but then a rebuilt alternator is always going to be cheaper still. The alternator does seem to work just fine, putting out strong voltage but the whistling is getting annoying now :)

2 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Had the 523i out this weekend for a small local car show, and got looking into a few additional problems with it.

Firstly, it I think it needs the CCV valve replacing. I'm finding fuel economy to be astonishingly bad, even when just doing a gentle drive at sensible speeds but the main give away is what I can only describe as a sort of 'trumpeting' noise whenever I apply throttle. I also find the same noise happens if I open the oil filler cap at idle. I'll have to capture a video of it.

Secondly, I think I've all but confirmed the thermostatic / mechanical fan is basically toast. I found since installing the pusher fan for the air conditioning, I've heard that come on a few times when the car has been idling in traffic or similar, so I tried the 'rolled up newspaper test' when the car was fully warmed up the other day and could stop the fan with little to no effort. So that wants doing. All I can say is, I'm glad I decided to do the pusher fan when I did as that's probably saved me from overheating. Any recommendations for decent aftermarket ones welcome.. Beru? Mahle?

Lastly.. since owning the car, I've noticed it's got quite a pronounced whistle from the auxiliary belts, almost like the car has a supercharger fitted! A quick listen around with a screwdriver stethoscope leads me to suspect the alternator as the culprit... presumably a bearing on the way out or similar I guess. I think I'll get the current one removed and decide on whether to get it rebuilt, or whether to just acquire a new one - I see ECP have Bosch alternators for not mega money.. but then a rebuilt alternator is always going to be cheaper still. The alternator does seem to work just fine, putting out strong voltage but the whistling is getting annoying now :)

If pressure/vacuum at oil filler cap; more than likely the CCV needs replacing, C3BMW is the man to get you a decent Meyle kit :) 

Re your fan, do you mean the viscous fan (the one bolted to the engine); if so, Behr and Meyle are the ones to go for, again, C3BMW or BMWmotormec via eBay are great places to source this, c£75 IIRC

As for the alternator; have you thought about just replacing the bearings? Will be a lot cheaper than a new one, but then again, a properly reconditioned one will just be plug n play!

Thanks for the super useful reply, Dan. Is bearing replacement on an alternator a 'home mechanic' type job?

Yes - the viscous fan is the one that's given up the ghost. I clearly need to put in an order with C3BMW and just get that and the CCV kit in one hit and have a nice afternoon of DIY :)

Edited by chicaneuk

56 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Thanks for the super useful reply, Dan. Is bearing replacement on an alternator a 'home mechanic' type job?

Yes - the viscous fan is the one that's given up the ghost. I clearly need to put in an order with C3BMW and just get that and the CCV kit in one hit and have a nice afternoon of DIY :)

The alternator went on my 728i, it was 2 bearings to be replaced, my mechanic pal did it whilst I wrestled with some suspension stuff as the car was on the ramps, so it's doable, but you need bearing pullers and patience etc!

Re the CCV, unless you've got small hands, it's not a nice/easy job! There's lots of bits in the way, but might be slightly different as yours is an M52 rather than an M54, isn't it?

Viscous fan is an easy swap; but I'd highly recommend one of the fan spanners you can get on eBay for around £10; it holds the fan in place whilst you wrestle the left-handed nut off!

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

BMW Cotswolds or your local motorfactors; they're much of the same TBH

Stick with Meyle, Febi or OEM BMW ideally

C3BMW or BMWmotormec via eBay are great sources also

Cheers Dan. Visit to my local motorfactors on the way home. This squealing is embarrassing!

if it takes a while to get one, I’ll use candle wax to quieten the monster. 

4 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Cheers Dan. Visit to my local motorfactors on the way home. This squealing is embarrassing!

if it takes a while to get one, I’ll use candle wax to quieten the monster. 

A directional spray of WD would be better; it'll clean any cack out too, just maybe do it every other day ;)  Personally I'd check the pulleys too, just in case it's them that's on the way out and not just the belt!

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

The alternator went on my 728i, it was 2 bearings to be replaced, my mechanic pal did it whilst I wrestled with some suspension stuff as the car was on the ramps, so it's doable, but you need bearing pullers and patience etc!

Re the CCV, unless you've got small hands, it's not a nice/easy job! There's lots of bits in the way, but might be slightly different as yours is an M52 rather than an M54, isn't it?

Viscous fan is an easy swap; but I'd highly recommend one of the fan spanners you can get on eBay for around £10; it holds the fan in place whilst you wrestle the left-handed nut off!

I do have pretty small hands and have found a couple good videos on doing them specifically on the M52TU. It's not my daily car either so if I run into problems, it's not a big deal - can just take my time with it.

Regarding the viscous fan coupling - I've got the right spanners and indeed have already removed it once, so there won't be any issues there.

I checked some videos on the alternator job - removing it doesn't concern me a great deal but the bearing swap looks a bit of a pain as I don't have an impact gun, nor a suitable press / puller so I think given what I'd need to spend on new tools, I might as well get a local company to just rebuild it for me.

Welp, that's an order for £180's worth of parts placed with C3BMW :)

Edited by chicaneuk

Over the last few weeks I've been gradually converting my interior from all beige with vavona wood trim to two tone black and beige with aluminium trim, I now have an interior that looks like this; 

001.JPG

004.JPG

I was going to fit the leather inserts from my beige door cards into the black ones until I found out that the rear ones are glued in with what seems to be the strongest glue known to man! Instead, I went over them with some beige leather dye, it doesn't match the seats exactly but seeing as there is about four different shades of beige in the interior where the sun has got to it over the years I'm not all that bothered.    

Oh, and despite my wheels being desperate for a re-furb I've fitted some new center caps to tart things up a bit; 

005.JPG

Edited by NWJW

Yeah that wasn’t much fun at all! Just walked back in the door shattered!!

Removal of everything was ok and all went according to plan but trying to reinstall the CCV was a complete pig! Must have spent a good hour or two trying to reinstall it and work out how best to try and connect the pipes up. 

Anyway worked out a solution in the end and got it all buttoned back up and took it for a spin. Fired right up and feels absolutely fine and my symptom of a blocked CCV (trumpet noise coming from around the area of the CCV on throttle and also if you opened the oil filler cap with the engine running!) has gone, so that is a result.

Only downer was upon returning, I could smell the unmistakeable smell of coolant... hastily stopped and popped the bonnet and could see it pissing out of the expansion tank cap which I had unscrewed earlier a bit when installing a new viscous fan coupling. Arse!! 

Thankfully i I got back hom before it decided to give me an under bonnet water feature though. 

Anyway. Not in a hurry to repeat that job. Aching everywhere!! Need a rest for an hour! 

Edited by chicaneuk

Just changed the poly v belt to the alternator. Easy Peasy. Managed it in the drive in quick time!

Its a small thing, I know, but the beast will not be screaming like a banshee any more. Little victories!