stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

24 minutes ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Drove it. Found out that despite changing the rocker cover gasket and rubber grommets for the bolts, my car still has an oil leak, possibly worse than before now. Lots of smoke from the drips down to the exhaust manifold, on a long trip.

Cried a little bit of the thought of having to spend yet more money on this car, trying to troubleshoot or diagnose the issue,  probably paying a garage this time. Started to think about how I can replace it with something more reliable. I just want some time without having to worry about my car, and you just cannot  do that with a 17-year-old car, however cool it might look and drive , not on a daily runner. 

Do you know where the leak is?

1 minute ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Did you seal the half moons and corners of the gasket?

Also, have you checked your cover for any cracks? They’re known for hairline cracks and it’s best to fix them, unless the cover is warped. New ones are c£300!

I bought a new one when I cracked mine changing the valve cover lol

Changed my drivers door seal, despite it being in very good nick it had already been fitted to a car for some time but the bit you pull out to locate the inner lip properly over the interior trim was still in it so fitting was a doddle, which was nice. :)  

Oh, and a new front towing eye cover turned up in the post, it's currently fitted un-painted but is black so still looks better than a hole! 

Edited by NWJW

25 minutes ago, NWJW said:

Changed my drivers door seal, despite it being in very good nick it had already been fitted to a car for some time but the bit you pull out to locate the inner lip properly over the interior trim was still in it so fitting was a doddle, which was nice. :)  

Oh, and a new front towing eye cover turned up in the post, it's currently fitted un-painted but is black so still looks better than a hole! 

Ah, is that what that loose bit is for? :roll::lol: 

i just unhooked the inner bit with with my fingers, a bit fiddly but did it :oops: 

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Ah, is that what that loose bit is for? :roll::lol: 

i just unhooked the inner bit with with my fingers, a bit fiddly but did it :oops: 

It wouldn't have been particularly difficult without the 'pully out' bit but it made things so much easier. I've just been out in the car and noticed how much less wind noise I have in my right ear, it seems to have stopped the windows misting up so quickly in the rain as well. It's mad the difference a little bit of rubber can make. :)

5 hours ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Drove it. Found out that despite changing the rocker cover gasket and rubber grommets for the bolts, my car still has an oil leak, possibly worse than before now. Lots of smoke from the drips down to the exhaust manifold, on a long trip.

Cried a little bit of the thought of having to spend yet more money on this car, trying to troubleshoot or diagnose the issue,  probably paying a garage this time. Started to think about how I can replace it with something more reliable. I just want some time without having to worry about my car, and you just cannot  do that with a 17-year-old car, however cool it might look and drive , not on a daily runner. 

Did you use genuine gaskets?

I learned that the hard way with my Mercedes, I used cheap Febi gaskets for both banks and both leaked no matter trying sealant and adding/ reducing tightening torque, eventually i bought genuine gaskets and no more oil leaks.

But on E39 i would look elsewhere for leaks as well, i tought i had OFH leak and changed the gasket,still leaked only to turn out it was the oil pan gasket

Got it through it’s MOT on the second attempt, thanks to that sodding handbrake !!  The drum looks capable of using a shoe that is 50% wider than standard.  Has anyone ever found such a shoe?

Finally got my BM54 wired in and working (fun with DSP!) Sounds so much better too!

Hi guys ‘n’ gals,

The upgrades continue apace on the beast, and next job is to fit the facelift headlights I’ve got.

I’m sure there exists an upgrade kit, (I understand it’ll need cable connectors and a bracket), so do any of you know where I might get such a thing, or perhaps a list of parts for me to source.

Robert

26 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Hi guys ‘n’ gals,

The upgrades continue apace on the beast, and next job is to fit the facelift headlights I’ve got.

I’m sure there exists an upgrade kit, (I understand it’ll need cable connectors and a bracket), so do any of you know where I might get such a thing, or perhaps a list of parts for me to source.

Robert

Headlights fit without any mods IIRC; may need the lower brackets though (and the top rubber gasket if they're not already with them)

Re the plugs; think you'll need to cut the wiring at the plugs off your original ones and connect to the new facelift headlight plugs as the indicator and dipped beam plugs are different (I think)

2 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Hi guys ‘n’ gals,

Robert

I believe so.

I bought a driver side angel eye and it came with a bracket for pre facelift , still have the bracket spare  in the garage but not sure where wiring is.

If you bought second hand angel eyes i would recommend you change the adjusters as they will break ...unless they have been changed already.

Drove it; first time since a week ago :lol: Been sick as a dog, so it's stayed on the drive getting dusty :roll:

Had to nip to Halfrauds to get the wife's Jazz new wiper blades (picked up some Autoglym Magma for me too) :mrgreen: 

Gave it a good blast up the bypass to Sainburys to give the thing a drink and now it's sat back on the drive, getting dustier... :angry: Probably wash em both tomorrow

Edited by d_a_n1979

2 hours ago, amazighman said:

I believe so.

I bought a driver side angel eye and it came with a bracket for pre facelift , still have the bracket spare  in the garage but not sure where wiring is.

If you bought second hand angel eyes i would recommend you change the adjusters as they will break ...unless they have been changed already.

I’ve got new adjusters, so I can fix them. Just need the cables & bracket. 

11 hours ago, amazighman said:

Are you going to oven bake them?

?? Oven bake ??

I will use a hot air gun to get them apart, as I've seen done on YouTube. I'll report back as to whether it's a viable vid though.

On the way home last night it developed a 'ticking noise'. Bit worried by that. It seemed rev related!

49 minutes ago, eleanorsskipper said:

?? Oven bake ??

I will use a hot air gun to get them apart, as I've seen done on YouTube. I'll report back as to whether it's a viable vid though.

On the way home last night it developed a 'ticking noise'. Bit worried by that. It seemed rev related!

You can oven bake them on on like 60 degree for 5 min.Unless you got the ones bonded with resin then no chance....

I did mine without opening them but it is very fiddly and you need small hands like mine. Looked like a key hole surgery.

Edited by amazighman

15 minutes ago, amazighman said:

You can oven bake them on on like 60 degree for 5 min.Unless you got the ones bonded with resin then no chance....

I did mine without opening them but it is very fiddly and you need small hands like mine. Looked like a key hole surgery.

Good news!

Found the ticking noise. The power steering pump is out of line!  Looks like it’s broken, but I can’t get to it without ramps. Looks like my lady’s polo will be handy!

Youtube vids are not too bad about changing it. Just wish it was warmer!

It turned out to be a broken pump case. Lucky it didn't do more damage though. Still, finding a replacement at a reasonable price is proving difficult!

Got bored so 3M refurbed the OS headlight, again, still not happy with it as the NS headlight was 1 week old when I bought the car, so gonna buy a new one to match

The existing headlight looks very well and works faultlessly, but I can tell the difference between them and it's doing my nut in :lol: 

Replaced fog light switch and clock spring/slip ring.

I still have an issue with rear fogs and steering wheel buttons not working... not happy!

On 02/05/2018 at 8:54 PM, eleanorsskipper said:

It turned out to be a broken pump case. Lucky it didn't do more damage though. Still, finding a replacement at a reasonable price is proving difficult!

Got the replacement from Poland vis eBay   2 years guarantee too!

eurocarparts wanted nearly £500!!!!!

will be delivered next week for £277. No complaints from me. It’s a genuine part too!

Went to 'properly' redo my rocker cover gasket again... and found a crack in the thing itself.... :(

Can't find any on eBay, do I have to trawl through the breaker's?! I assume one of these from BMW will be ~£20,000 

Oil service today plus a few small jobs.

Contemplating whether I'm brave enough to drive it all the way to Berlin on Sunday week  - I've only owned it for three weeks and driven less than 200 miles, but had been hoping for a longer 'shakedown' period than I ended up having.

Edited by Loadmaster

c£350 from BMW @TeddyRuxpin:(

Where is the crack?

On my previous 530i, the cover was cracked, but I fixed it using a plastic cement: https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-B-Plastic-Weld-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B003S2E4UE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1525779934&sr=8-8&keywords=plastic+weld

Roughed up the area to give it a key, applied the putty and let it go off overnight and it was sorted from there, no more leaks :)