stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

2 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

^ Dan what did you have done to bring those seats back? I have some pale seats that need a spruce up.

Had some of thr foam base replaced and then it was professionally re coloured pal... Cost me £110 all in for the drivers seat, for both jobs

On 25/03/2018 at 3:24 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Looks lovely and clean; the exterior came up well too :)

I like the SE's on turbines, think it suits them well 

cheers dan 

All I've done to mine recently is drive it now and again, it's still got a dodgy torque converter, my sport bumpers are still sat in the garage waiting to be fitted as is a pile of black interior parts for the two tone interior I've got planned and it's absolutely filthy stinking dirty. 

But, now that I've changed the steering rack on my Mondeo (again! it's not a five minute job either, the front subframe has to be removed for access....) and I've (nearly) fitted my sisters kitchen the 540 is next on the list for attention, watch this space hopefully! :)

By now I was really hoping to be talking about the 540 in this post. Alas, we still await the DVLA to send a new V5 reflecting a 51 plate, rather than the 57 that it was given when it arrived from Japan.... :roll:

4 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

By now I was really hoping to be talking about the 540 in this post. Alas, we still await the DVLA to send a new V5 reflecting a 51 plate, rather than the 57 that it was given when it arrived from Japan.... :roll:

Sheesh. Been wondering how you've been getting on.. can't believe there's still no news! :(

46 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

Sheesh. Been wondering how you've been getting on.. can't believe there's still no news! :(

I think DVLA send their own errors down a different workflow!

yesterday sorted the poor fm/am reception on my xtron head unit, (antenna amp had no turn on +ve feed ) after market headunit .

fitted the underbonnet insulation at bottom correctly as not slotting to the two slits (had to use 2x plastic revits inc drilling 2 holes) tucked 2 x wires from dab & satnav antennas inside A piller , (looked a bit s$%ty hanging down ):mellow: worked out why seatbelts on front seats  were bit sluggish to return when undone (cockpit spayed) the plastic bits on b piller that they run through   worked a treat :)

waiting on bmwmini parts to send exhaust bracket thats  snapped :( but not causeing any probs 

was gonner run wires and relay for reversing cam and sort pdc rear, inner one shot.  but wont stop f%$££ing raining in my neck of the woods so will have to wait till next w end

On 3/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, Tomrx7 said:

few jobs done over the last few days, swapped out the Eicher euro car part discs and pads that I fitted in November what a pile of push they are and fitted Brembos all round and replaced the gubbed hand brake shoes, what a difference in braking performance, and today seeing how it’s a nice day dig out the machine polisher and have her a good going over with mags compound 3 then machine polished with auto glym resin polish then hand polished with auto finesse triple 3, auto fitness iron out on the wheels and gave the lights a good polish whilst I was at it  and though the body work isn’t perfect she now looks quite presentable, going to tackle the interior tomorrow, the pics aren’t very good as I couldn’t seem to get the light right 

7878B7EA-3CFC-4E79-8A71-5DBD072884BA.jpeg

00BE4362-1637-4DD4-BD2D-455D2F920B02.jpeg

4E00C450-1886-48A1-8F99-8B21A1D1A0CD.jpeg

CE61C844-11C6-463E-A394-0CA63E0A01DE.jpeg

B8D25F63-E06D-4480-BBBB-6E18FFC3786A.jpeg

2FA9DAD1-367B-4685-807E-132E3749D0B4.jpeg

46EA7969-B695-4CB9-BE5D-E81650E41992.jpeg

7461FFCA-47AA-47B0-B98F-38C383106BDD.jpeg

9D05E607-3E4C-48C0-BA9B-3B37AB271A75.jpeg

Spotted your car on Gumtree, not too far away from me.  Car is a lovely colour, good luck with the sale!

On 24/03/2018 at 6:14 PM, eleanorsskipper said:

TBH. I’m very pleased with the end result!

ill put some piccies up when the bumper & tailgate are on.

Ive got a machine polisher I use on the boat which will get some use on the beast now.

Any recommendations as to prep/polish I should use to get a high shine?

Shampoo the car - you can get detox shampoo (Farcella do it) to take off as much residue of wax, polish etc. Then clay bar the car to ensure the paint is squeaky clean and free of contamination. You may need some glue and tar remover for any really stubborn spots. Then hit it (gently! lol) with the machine polisher. I use the Menzerna range of polishes - https://www.menzerna.com/products/polishes/car-polishes/

If you get ones with 'FG' after the number, it's 'Finished Gloss' so you can use a harder compound but still get a good finish without always having to do multiple stages. I do tend to finish with a fine one though. After that, a coat of sealer or wax to finish it off. 

Hope that helps ;) 

On 24/03/2018 at 6:14 PM, eleanorsskipper said:

TBH. I’m very pleased with the end result!

ill put some piccies up when the bumper & tailgate are on.

Ive got a machine polisher I use on the boat which will get some use on the beast now.

Any recommendations as to prep/polish I should use to get a high shine?

Shampoo the car - you can get detox shampoo (Farcella do it) to take off as much residue of wax, polish etc. Then clay bar the car to ensure the paint is squeaky clean and free of contamination. You may need some glue and tar remover for any really stubborn spots. Then hit it (gently! lol) with the machine polisher. I use the Menzerna range of polishes - https://www.menzerna.com/products/polishes/car-polishes/

If you get ones with 'FG' after the number, it's 'Finished Gloss' so you can use a harder compound but still get a good finish without always having to do multiple stages. I do tend to finish with a fine one though. After that, a coat of sealer or wax to finish it off. 

Hope that helps ;) 

Tried to change all my rear suspension arms today whilst admiring the new rust bubbles. 

Gave up. Can’t get anything apart. 

Booked it into the garage and feel defeated!

Its well overdue for the rear arms. 

In fact I’m now concerned I’ve got to drive it there’s so much play!

3 hours ago, Hairyarse said:

Hope that helps ;) 

Superb advice! The beast gets her new tailgate & front bumper on Wed am, so after that it’ll be a thorough clean all round.

looking forward to getting my teeth into it too (providing the weather gods are in agreement!)

On 03/04/2018 at 10:42 PM, slam said:

Spotted your car on Gumtree, not too far away from me.  Car is a lovely colour, good luck with the sale!

thanks, undecided whether to sell it but have a nagging itch for a v8 5 or 7 series, love working on these cars and never done so on a v8, think now all the mechanical jobs are done I’m lost for something to take my ratchet too :unsure:

Changed my top mounts and refitted springs correctly seems that when i swapped the shocks i made the same error as captain beaky realignment.

Every part of my front suspension but for the springs has been changed now so hopefully my brake shudder will be eradicated!

Was going to fit new pads but they hadn't arrived.

Does anyone have a pair of complete vanos gear units for an M62 that they do not want?

Popped out earlier in the 535i the get the wheels balanced and I've had a tit full of rattling on start up so it's all coming out and rebuilt this year that's the only plan i can come up with.

I don't know if it's the one of the timing chains, guides or vanos, so if anyone has some old vanos units i'll take them off your hands.

Took it in for an MOT. Sat paying too much for coffee while I wait all day.

I know it'll fail on tyres, but didn't want to spend £200 on two new tyres only to find it needs £10,000 of magical fairy oil to fix all the gremlins that they find....

To say I'm nervous is an understatement. Think I need to switch to a Mini.

Edited by TeddyRuxpin

25 minutes ago, TeddyRuxpin said:

Took it in for an MOT. Sat paying too much for coffee while I wait all day.

I know it'll fail on tyres, but didn't want to spend £200 on two new tyres only to find it needs £10,000 of magical fairy oil to fix all the gremlins that they find....

To say I'm nervous is an understatement. Think I need to switch to a Mini.

I know just how you feel. I was worried I’d need to rob a bank to sort mine, but the gods (and the guys in the garage) were in a good mood, so it only took 2 weeks & £1200!

The beast gets her new tailgate & bumper tomorrow, and the fitting will take most of the day so it’ll cost me £250. All in all I think I got away quite lightly really.

good luck to you though. 

The first time I had mine in for an MOT after buying it, the guy said it was in great shape - it failed on a simple fault with the seat belt which I sorted myself, headlight washers not working (also fixed myself easily as it was just a leaking pipe) and just needed the handbrake sorting out (like most E39's I suppose!) which didn't really set me back a lot. Other than it, it went through with no advisories! I think that's about the only time in most of my years of car ownership that I got a car through an MOT with zero advisories!

Have faith in the old girl! :)

Thanks chaps - so , it needs two new rear tyres which are the bulk of the cost - I went with some Avon ZV7's, didn't want to get budget ones as had bad experiences in the past.

I could get them a bit cheaper online, but for the price I was quoted (about £84 each fitted), it's just easier to get it done today, now, at the MOT/mechanic's.

It also needed one rear anti-roll bar bushing - I was going to try to do both, getting 'good' ones, etc etc, but really, I just need it done cheaply and done quickly. He said the part is cheap and it's about 1/2 an hour's labour.

All in, nothing major, and tyres are needed on any car. But with the MOT cost itself, I'm expecting a bill for £250-300... not the best timing... but when is it ever?

The BMW E39 - a gift that keeps giving... 

Edited by TeddyRuxpin