stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

4 minutes ago, adamhearn said:

Just picked mine up after its MOT... also failed ;( The BMW service desk handed me an estimate sheet with a total of £1219.47!

It's a couple of suspension arms (front and rear). the labour is not unreasonable but the parts prices are just silly! £240.54 + VAT (*2) for arms! I cheekily asked if I brought Lemforder arms in, would they fit them.. he said no :)

I paid £120.39 for the test and the brake fluid change and left to consider my options...

‘Get your parts, take it to a decent indy mechanic and get them done and enjoy the savings you’ll make away from BMWs piss take prices :roll:

C3BMW or BMWmotormec via eBay will have all you need, Meyle, lemforder or Febi Bilstein are all decent made parts

Brake fluid flushed and new braided hoses all round B)

Just need to paint the calipers now as they could do with a tidy up <_<

37 minutes ago, Milo said:

I'll be doing that before I fit my new alloys & tyres. They're black currently but bits have chipped off... Might do them a different colour, but it'll be subtle not RED :lol: 

Mot passed with a clean sheet this morning, looking forward to another years bimbling about in the 5er.

slight panic first thing when the screen washers wouldn’t work but it was just frozen water in the lines had popped a connector off, 5 secs to sort :-)

bodyshop in the unit unit next to the mot place had a mint e39 M5, wonder if it was anyone on here? Place down gas house lane in Rochester 

Edited by lufbramatt

Packed the  car after I de snowed it and moved it... Back home tomorrow so just getting the last few beers in of our holiday ;)

Edited by d_a_n1979

On 2/16/2018 at 5:03 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Not done owt to mine, it’s still snowed in :lol: 

Seriously!

we haven't seen any down here 

5 hours ago, Milo said:

Serviced the front Calipers i had from Paolo while in work today but they are not getting painted but I did paint the rocker cover for my E30

24 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

Seriously!

we haven't seen any down here 

Been up in Dunkeld all week pal, up in the Highlands... ;)

There’s been a touch back home, but nowhere near what we’ve had here

I'm currently trying to cure a problem with the windows misting up so cleaned out my pollen filter housings and all the rubber drain hole things which were chock full of old leaves and debris, need to order a couple of pollen filters now. :)

13 minutes ago, NWJW said:

I'm currently trying to cure a problem with the windows misting up so cleaned out my pollen filter housings and all the rubber drain hole things which were chock full of old leaves and debris, need to order a couple of pollen filters now. :)

Give them a thorough clean too... Really helps

We use these in the cars too and they do a good job: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pingi-Dehumidifer-Car-Home-Single/dp/B00I3VKBJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518896015&sr=8-2&keywords=car+dehumidifier+reusable

Had a call off my mate (mechanic) today that he had some spare time if I wanted to bring my 535 round. (I generally do his electrics for him in exchange for him working on my car). I thought he was just going to help me with a couple of quick jobs like the rear window reg and a brake light switch but he said no i'm gonna change all the front suspension arms etc (luckily I had them all in the boot). We got started stripping it all down before we made the rookie discovery I had got the wrong parts (ordered late at night off ebay when very sleepy). :(

So we've had to put it all back together until I can get the right parts. Strange thing was when I put my details in to check the parts fit my vehicle it said they did. 

I searched them again from several different suppliers and all came up looking the same as the wrong ones I had received.

So a bit of a waste, but my other mate who works at a car parts place (who I forgot to ask in the first place, doh) has just come round and knows they have the correct parts in stock which he can get for me Monday. 

On the plus side I tested the loom I bought to try to get my Pioneer Apple Car Play head unit to work on my DSP equipped car and it works!

And all my mechanic mate needed doing was a dimmer switch replacing in his daughters bedroom so I had an easier time of it this time round.

De snowed (again) and de iced in readiness for heading home...

Cars gonna need a serious, in depth clean when we're back. It's uber filthy and full of road salt :roll: 

22 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I'll be doing that before I fit my new alloys & tyres. They're black currently but bits have chipped off... Might do them a different colour, but it'll be subtle not RED :lol: 

Yeah not doing mine red but my backing plate is powder coated blue so have gone for RS blue so hoping it’s a match :lol:

I have fitted red brake lines though :lol:

D52B8B2E-FB9B-4F75-95F7-F14442C1F9E6.jpeg

Edited by Milo

Do those make a big difference, I replaced all my discs and pads and brake pedal still has a lot of travel , quite soft , had a shot of an old 320d and nearly put myself through the windscreen applying the same brake pressure in habit, going to get them bled to see if that helps 

Drove it home... 265 miles in around 3.5 hours with one piddle stop :lol:

It's empty, filthy (inside and out) so it'll get sorted tomorrow onwards, too knacked to do it this afternoon :lol:

@Captain Beaky - this was the weather Tuesday and Wednesday for us: https://photos.app.goo.gl/v8PntKzKxqLrv6e03

That's why it was snowed in as it'd frozen in between snowfalls too, there were 3 different layers of snow on the car at one point!

Just now, Tomrx7 said:

Do those make a big difference, I replaced all my discs and pads and brake pedal still has a lot of travel , quite soft , had a shot of an old 320d and nearly put myself through the windscreen applying the same brake pressure in habit, going to get them bled to see if that helps 

Braided lines have no give in them at all; so the pedal feel is firmer etc

I've always fitted them to my cars in part-course of removing old stuff and replacing it with new... A good refresh of fluid with Motul DOT5.1 helps too;) 

14 minutes ago, Tomrx7 said:

Def helped mine. Changed disc's and pads to brembo and still was not happy with the brakes. Changed to braided lines and new brake fluid. So much better. But then the old rubber hoses were 17 years old. So uprading to zero give braided lines makes such a difference. On the diesels also check your engine vacuum system as it powers the brake booster. If you start the engine and put your foot on the brake peddle. If if slowly drops you have a vacuum leak. 

I did this to my 39 today on the front cowing gate first thing this morning!:o

5a89a388b6657_IMG_39961.thumb.JPG.5c6f8ceea5a095564cc078231c8e3a29.JPG

Then I did this to my front Calipers

BEFORE

5a89a3d2593b0_IMG_39801.thumb.JPG.ea9815797be92fea4c8a8d024da5b994.JPG

AFTER, THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE BLACK!

5a89a3e025dc5_IMG_39921.thumb.JPG.56bc4318579f293b41501cc60a97f8bb.JPG

Edited by Captain Beaky