stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

47 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

I thought my current town driving was bad at 33-36mpg.

Its rare i get on the motorway these days but when i do i bloody love it...avg 52/55mpg depending on how hard i press the loud pedal ha.

If I press too hard on the loud pedal, the rear wheel kick off & all hell breaks loose!

I can hear the sound of sucking, my lady gets all twitchy, and the back end starts to misbehave. Daren’t do it locally. Plod would be feeling my collar, & if I do it on an Mway, I get into licence losing territory too quick. Literally!

10 hours ago, eleanorsskipper said:

Got to get something done about the consumption though. I’m only getting 15ish round the town! Better on a run, but I dream of 30ish!

15-16 mpg around town and 28-30 on a run is typically what I get, my previous 540i and 535i were the same, interestingly my M5 would do slightly more around town at 17-18 mpg but less on a run at 25-26.  

And today I sorted out my leaky washer jets, it turns out someone had replaced most of the pipes in the bonnet with 3/16" rubber fuel hose and left one end disconnected.....:huh::D

Finally got my airbag recall done today and the nice people at Lloyd bmw Newcastle cleaned and hoovered the family detritus up too and sent me a little video saying the tyres and brakes were fine (this I knew but a nice touch). Car was shameful really but hey that's kids and long journeys but looks much better now and I shall follow it up with a deep clean and wax. 

Best off all the dealership is dog friendly too so the pooch got to look at some new m cars. 

17 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Finally got my airbag recall done today and the nice people at Lloyd bmw Newcastle cleaned and hoovered the family detritus up too and sent me a little video saying the tyres and brakes were fine (this I knew but a nice touch). Car was shameful really but hey that's kids and long journeys but looks much better now and I shall follow it up with a deep clean and wax. 

Best off all the dealership is dog friendly too so the pooch got to look at some new m cars. 

Bmw were great with mine too when i got the airbag recall done last year.

They gave me a 17 plate 320d with 16 miles on the clock to play with while they sorted mine.

Mine too was nice and clean for collection.

Great service which didnt cost me a penny. If thats their normal standards for a free service no wonder they charge the earth for payable work ha.

Got the front end refresh finished over the weekend- wow what a difference! this is on a car with 81k miles on. The thrust arm bushes were badly cracked with no trace of any fluid left.

Turn in is so much sharper and all traces of the dreaded e39 shimmy have gone. Even managed a cheeky little drift round a damp roundabout, previously it has just wanted to understeer and then go into a messy 4 wheel slide. think that's mainly due to the shockingly awful Accelera Phi tyres now living in the bin.

MOT next weekend! fingers crossed :) then need to think about getting the airbag recall sorted and maybe taking it to Dartford Transmissions for a auto box service.

Edited by lufbramatt

Nowt... It’s under 3" snow currently :lol:

But, have ordered my new alloys and gone against my grain, so to speak and stumped for some 19s ;) Will sort tyres when we’re home at the weekend

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

But, have ordered my new alloys and gone against my grain, so to speak and stumped for some 19s ;) Will sort tyres when we’re home at the weekend

Any pics?

25 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Any pics?

No, not yet. Won’t have them delivered for around 2 weeks yet as I’m away and then need to get tyres down to the place I’ve bought the alloys from for them to fit them and then courier them up here

2 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

What brand/style Dan?

I gave the body a going over with Soft 99 white coloured liquid repellant hard wax, that stuff is worth its weight in gold regarding the manner in which is shrugs off dirt. 

After that it was a blast to Amsterdam to see some old friends and see what I could shake loose on the motorway.

Got all the way there on three quarters of a tank of Euro 98 motion lotion and I gave it plenty of welly so quite pleased with that.

Nothing broke or fell off but I did kerb those damn butter wheels driving around the 'Dam.

Now just disembarking the Eurotunnel so home for a pot of earl grey.

IMG_2677.JPG

Bugger! Failed the mot!

Needs about £450-500 worth of work!

Has to have the fuel tank out for welding to be done!

So, bodywork is the priority. Mot isn’t due until March anyway!

Just had a chat with the garage, and they have turned out to be stars.

got a pair of facelift angel eyes and a correct colour, intact and perfect, tailgate for £100. Lucky me!

8 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

shut up!! SNOW

After all that cleaning,  now you have to drive it around in all that slush with the road salt and chemical binders mixed in and all sloshing about under your car

Man that's unlucky;)

35 minutes ago, Captain Beaky said:

shut up!! SNOW

After all that cleaning,  now you have to drive it around in all that slush with the road salt and chemical binders mixed in and all sloshing about under your car

Man that's unlucky;)

Yup.. it’s milky white :lol:

16 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

shut up!! SNOW

Man that's unlucky;)

Yeah... Remember all that cleaning and polishing I did?

B2092_FD5-_C26_E-4336-921_C-4374_CD055_F

:lol:

Snowing hard here now

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yeah... Remember all that cleaning and polishing I did?

B2092_FD5-_C26_E-4336-921_C-4374_CD055_F

:lol:

Snowing hard here now

On the plus side, that's a very 'arty' pic - I like that.

Just crop that car out to the left... :lol:

Hi Dan,

the mounting brackets are placed differently to start with.

top photo shows the place for the 8mm mounting bolt roughly centre whereas photo three shows no place for it.

the lights came from a 520 touring. Mine has motorised lights which fire up, then cone up to shine properly.

im wondering how easy it would be to fit the angel eyes and the new outer lens to the original casing. 

On 13/02/2018 at 4:19 PM, eleanorsskipper said:

Bugger! Failed the mot!

Needs about £450-500 worth of work!

Just picked mine up after its MOT... also failed ;( The BMW service desk handed me an estimate sheet with a total of £1219.47!

It's a couple of suspension arms (front and rear). the labour is not unreasonable but the parts prices are just silly! £240.54 + VAT (*2) for arms! I cheekily asked if I brought Lemforder arms in, would they fit them.. he said no :)

I paid £120.39 for the test and the brake fluid change and left to consider my options...