stevewilley

What did you do to your E39 today ?

5 hours ago, stew99 said:

Not sure exactly what power it is running. The base map was 230 bhp. It was then adjusted a little more after I upgraded the fuel pumps and decatted it. 

They are a great engine if you look after then.

My stage 2 remap, decat and new vac lines/silicone hoses/engine mounts repoertedly puts out around 255bhp and circa 580nm. I'd love to rolling road it, but it's an auto.

43 minutes ago, Jim Bob said:

My stage 2 remap, decat and new vac lines/silicone hoses/engine mounts repoertedly puts out around 255bhp and circa 580nm. I'd love to rolling road it, but it's an auto.

To be honest dyno's are only good for comparing changes in set up. Every different dyno will give you a different number. They are great for showing differences in pre and post map runs. Sounds like you a similar set up to mine except for the fuel system upgrades. I have an upgraded pump in the tank. Upgraded under floor pump and a adjustable fuel regulator it there as well. The only other change I would make would be a front mount intercooler. But it's more than quick enough as it is. So I've not bothered with that yet.....

1 hour ago, Jim Bob said:

Didn't know you couldn't dyno autos?

30 minutes ago, stew99 said:

The only other change I would make would be a front mount intercooler. But it's more than quick enough as it is. So I've not bothered with that yet.....

Dont you have to lose the ac to put a bigger fmic in?

7 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Dont you have to lose the ac to put a bigger fmic in?

No you can fit it without losing the a.c.. but you need to remove the main fan and fit an electric one instead. Seems like to much work for me at the minute.

Fitted new rear pads and discs today, I was putting it off as I was expecting it to be a bitch of a job, rusty bolts and everything done up f'kin tight etc but I was pleasantly surprised, it was easy as doing the brakes on my missus four year old car last week, which was nice!

8 hours ago, Captain Beaky said:

I've had this light knocking noise for a little while so decided to change the ABR drop links today and it was the first time I have ever had to cut them off before.

I don't think I've ever had a failed drop link that hasn't had to be cut off, I normally just get the grinder out anyway, it's quicker than fecking about with rusty nuts!

5 hours ago, stew99 said:

The only other change I would make would be a front mount intercooler. But it's more than quick enough as it is. So I've not bothered with that yet.....

When I had my e46 330d I looked into fitting a bigger intercooler but the consensus was that the standard one was more than adequate unless you were intending on running daft power so I left it alone. That car had an egr delete, de-cat and stage 1 map and was plenty fast enough!

9 hours ago, NWJW said:

When I had my e46 330d I looked into fitting a bigger intercooler but the consensus was that the standard one was more than adequate unless you were intending on running daft power so I left it alone. That car had an egr delete, de-cat and stage 1 map and was plenty fast enough!

I'm in Dorset. Do you know anyone own here that you would recommend for a re-map?

the beast ones into the body shop next week for the shine to be put back, (as well as a new tailgate & front bumper). MOT too, which I'm hoping won't be too expensive!

1 hour ago, eleanorsskipper said:

I'm in Dorset. Do you know anyone own here that you would recommend for a re-map?

the beast ones into the body shop next week for the shine to be put back, (as well as a new tailgate & front bumper). MOT too, which I'm hoping won't be too expensive!

Search out Dale Taylor in Salisbury. He did mine. 

IMG_20170422_154051.jpg

1 hour ago, Jim Bob said:

Search out Dale Taylor in Salisbury. He did mine. 

IMG_20170422_154051.jpg

Excellent. I’ll do that when I get the Beast back. It started with 289bhp & most of the horses are still in the paddock cos it’s only done about 180k. Hopefully it’ll breach 300 afterwards, maybe even a bit north of that!

Edited by eleanorsskipper

Following Saturdays little drop link renewal i am now in need of front discs, calipers and a dust shield

Does anyone have any old 535i front calipers that need a rebuild that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price, I also need a dust shield for the near side or a pair?

Just collecting up my service parts and a few repair jobs to be tackled when I'm off next week. Full service kit. New front spring. New front wheel bearing. Gearbox mounts. Antiroll bar mounts. 

20180204_174145.jpg

Do you know anyone with a hydraulic coil spring compressor? it can be a right bitch!

Done mine last week on the 530D it's on the previous page with some good pointers from Alan

Yeah I saw that. Don't worry it's not my first fight with e39 coil springs. Changed the front shocks and top mounts last year. I thought the springs looked ok so I put them back in. Looks like a bad move now. The wheel bearing worrys me more. The last time I changed one. God those nuts were tight. The gearbox mounts I've never done before. So I'll just have to read up on changing them.

So I did a couple of small jobs, new wipers, replaced a cracked fog light, finally got my cigar lighter working. Then I thought i’d put my old double din head unit in. That’s where I discovered DSP (it’s my first bmw so I wasn’t familiar with it). So it looks like I won’t be changing the stereo any time soon. :(

hopefully fixed the small crack in my cam cover, gasket was replaced about 2 months so reused it, did spot some oil in a plug well tho, new plugs were fitted last week so a little concern there 

Took it for an mot which it passed (obviously!!) with only a few advisories for a front ball joint and a couple of bushes on the rear. The tester commented on how good it was underneath for a W-reg car. Happy with that! :)

On 2/4/2018 at 5:48 PM, stew99 said:

Just collecting up my service parts and a few repair jobs to be tackled when I'm off next week. Full service kit. New front spring. New front wheel bearing. Gearbox mounts. Antiroll bar mounts. 

20180204_174145.jpg

Sorry, it has to be said but how big is that flippin' air filter!

In the excitement of passing the mot I forgot to mention earlier that I dropped off my sport bumpers at the bodyshop to have some lovely shiny green paint put on them. :-D

Over the weekend I freshened up the front end:

new meyle HD thrust and control arms

new OEM ARB bushes and drop links

new OEM front discs and pads

pair of shiny JOM foglights as old ones were corroded inside

pair of 235/40/18 Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 front tyres fitted

replaced a bunch of crusty fasteners with new ones (lower arch liner screws, undertray clips etc)

wire brushed and treated a tiny bit of surface rust hiding behind the brake cooling ducts

Oil, oil+air filter change

All went suprizingly smoothly, all the ball joints came apart ok and the "tricky" drivers side ARB bush wasn't that difficult once I'd worked out the right combination of sockets and extensions to get to the rear nut.

Didn't quite manage to get it all back together before it got dark but just got to torque the suspension arm bolts up, bleed the brakes and fit all the undertrays back on. can't wait to drive it and see what difference it's made.

Edited by lufbramatt

HEL braided brake lines fitted and a fresh oil change :)

Also managed to pull the glass out of the runner clips in the drivers door (well, I didn't, my mechanic pal did as the car was frozen solid even after the drive there) :lol: 

So it was a door card off jobby to get to the window mechanics and put it all back together!

MOT today. First one since I bought it exactly a year ago. Mileage is now at 60k and a bit so wasn't really expecting any issues. It was nice to hear

the Tester querying the age of the car relative to its overall condition. 

Though you can't see it in the picture there was a chap with a four year old Range Rover sport getting his MOT done in the adjoining bay.

A sporty sort, sheepskin jacket, Churchill brogues, golfing trousers, you know the type, anyway he looked over at my car and with a patronising tone

in his voice said 'they don't make them like that anymore do they' I smiled and let it go then he had to ruin it by adding 'they go for ever those old bangers'

A short while later he was in an uproar as the examiner failed his Rangey on a leaking suspension strut, excessive play in the steering and a worn wheel bearing.

As I collected my new MOT certificate I nodded towards his car and said 'they still make them like that then?'

That shut him up.

IMG_2675.JPG

9 minutes ago, Marc_C said:

MOT today. First one since I bought it exactly a year ago. Mileage is now at 60k and a bit so wasn't really expecting any issues. It was nice to hear

the Tester querying the age of the car relative to its overall condition. 

Though you can't see it in the picture there was a chap with a four year old Range Rover sport getting his MOT done in the adjoining bay.

A sporty sort, sheepskin jacket, Churchill brogues, golfing trousers, you know the type, anyway he looked over at my car and with a patronising tone

in his voice said 'they don't make them like that anymore do they' I smiled and let it go then he had to ruin it by adding 'they go for ever those old bangers'

A short while later he was in an uproar as the examiner failed his Rangey on a leaking suspension strut, excessive play in the steering and a worn wheel bearing.

As I collected my new MOT certificate I nodded towards his car and said 'they still make them like that then?'

That shut him up.

IMG_2675.JPG

Haha.

#inyourfacerangerover